Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 77063 times)

Casey

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »
I have always thought Ron Ely was a pretty good host.

The only really good thing about Bullseye was the theme.

I really think Jim Peck should have been given the job of hosting TJW, rather than Bill Cullen.  I thought Bill was well suited for Hot Potato, but definitely not TJW.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:45:06 PM by isucgv »

BrandonFG

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247082\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 08:29 PM\']- I will never understand why so many people have a soft spot for Supermarket Sweep or Cash Cab. Both are OK. Neither are/were appointment television.[/quote]
With the former, a lot of it was because it was a childhood memory. But I also respect a show that's so cheesy and knows not to take itself seriously. That was part of the reason shows from the mid-2000s on annoyed me so much.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:56 PM »
Now that I've managed to come up with a few.....

-I too am bored by 50s/60s panel shows, with exception of IGaS. That said, I do like the 70s versions thereof.
-I liked TPIR '94. I don't remember ever questioning why someone other than Bob was hosting.
-I think the themes to "Last Word", "Talkabout", and "Wordplay" are awesome, and am hoping they turn up on TVPMM [or somewhere!]. [ETA: Just realized "Wordplay" is out there....]
-I loved STYD when I was younger, and never really thought Pat Finn was a bad host.
-Bill Rafferty is probably my favorite host of "Card Sharks". I also prefer his version of "Blockbusters" to Cullen's.
-I think Paul Alter was the better director of TPIR. Then again, I never really saw Breslow's work on the show until YouTube came around.....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:43:30 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Loogaroo

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247083\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 05:39 PM\']
- Syndie 5th Grader is one of the best-constructed games of the past five years. (Not much competition for that, granted, but still.)
I am terribly curious to hear why this is the case, half because I have that much respect for your opinion, and half because I think that the only thing that sets 5th Grader apart is that they're asking easy questions that people get wrong.
[/quote]
Because unlike many other games that have emerged since WWTBAM and DOND, this is a game where one has to play all the way through regardless of how well or how poorly they're doing. No chickening out on a question you don't know about (bonus question notwithstanding). No getting kicked out the door because you slip up. Everyone answers 10 questions, 11 if they're up for it. I like that. Jeff Foxworthy is a good host and the pacing is vastly improved over the prime-time version. And to be perfectly frank, I'd much rather watch people blow easy academic questions than easy pop-culture questions, simply because it gives me more opportunity to look at the contestant and say, "YOU. OUT."
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247092\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 06:28 PM\']No getting kicked out the door because you slip up. Everyone answers 10 questions, 11 if they're up for it.

I'd much rather watch people blow easy academic questions than easy pop-culture questions, simply because it gives me more opportunity to look at the contestant and say, "YOU. OUT."[/quote]That's quite the paradox, there.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
My only "issue" with Syndie Fifth Grader is the whole "pot is erased with a wrong answer" rule, I'd much prefer a "wrong answer = nothing gained/pot frozen at current amount" rule.

But that's me. It's a fine time killer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:42:41 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Loogaroo

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'247095\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 06:39 PM\']My only "issue" with Syndie Fifth Grader is the whole "pot is erased with a wrong answer" rule, I'd much prefer a "wrong answer = nothing gained/pot frozen at current amount" rule.[/quote]

Yeah, but that eradicates the strategy of picking your questions in the order you want. When Ben played, he went straight for 5th grade Lit first because he knew if he could get that one, the rest of his stack would be cake.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

chad1m

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247099\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 10:14 PM\']Yeah, but that eradicates the strategy of picking your questions in the order you want.[/quote]And golly gee, we wouldn't want strategy in a game show, now would we? :P

gameboy2000

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »
I actually liked hearing the rapping dragon on TTD90.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
Well, let's see:

-I didn't think Joe Theismann was THAT bad as the original host of American Gladiators, even though, obviously, Mike Adamle was the better host.

-I enjoyed Fred Travalena on every game show I've seen him guest-star on.

-I enjoyed Edie McClurg on every game show I've seen her guest-star on.

-I didn't think the 80's version of Crosswits was bad, from the few episodes I've seen.

-I enjoyed Double Talk.

-I didn't mind Larry Toffler as host of Finders Keepers (there were some people on another forum who found him to be "the creepiest game show host alive", but provided no examples as to what made him so "creepy").

-Hollywood Squares with John Davidson is my all-time favorite version of the show.

-The "You Fool!" moment from the Bergeron version of HS really isn't as funny as many people make it out to be.

-I really don't see the appeal in Legends of the Hidden Temple. Kirk Fogg is, to me, the perfect cure for insomnia. No improvisation whatsoever. And I don't care if its end game had a better win ratio than all the Marc Summers versions of Double Dare.

-Name That Tune with Jim Lange is my all-time favorite version of the show.

-I really, REALLY, cannot stand Bob Barker, especially given his real-life persona, which makes it hard for me to watch his era of TPIR these days, and wish he had never gotten the job. Bill Cullen, Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, Doug Davidson, and Drew Carey, are way better than him.

-Super Password is my all time favorite version of the show, and Bert Convy is my all-time favorite Password host.

-The $100,000 Pyramid with John Davidson isn't as bad as so many people say it is (even though Davidson was no Dick Clark)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:44:21 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247116\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 08:41 AM\']-The "You Fool!" moment from the Bergeron version of HS really isn't as funny as many people make it out to be.[/quote]This.

There's several other moments that people constantly rave about that have been overplayed and/or not that funny.  Two other things I can think of are the "September" incident from Family Feud and the "nipples" incident from Match Game.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247116\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 08:41 AM\']-I enjoyed Edie McClurg on every game show I've seen her guest-star on.[/quote]
Not sure why that would be different from the norm.  She's a hell of a game player.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:35 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'247120\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 10:58 AM\'][quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247116\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 08:41 AM\']-I enjoyed Edie McClurg on every game show I've seen her guest-star on.[/quote]
Not sure why that would be different from the norm.  She's a hell of a game player.
[/quote]

There were some that found her to be incredibly annoying as a GS panelist. Same thing goes with Travalena.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247121\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'247120\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 10:58 AM\'][quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247116\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 08:41 AM\']-I enjoyed Edie McClurg on every game show I've seen her guest-star on.[/quote]
[/quote]

There were some that found her to be incredibly annoying as a GS panelist. Same thing goes with Travalena.
[/quote]
I could see that.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247116\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 06:41 AM\']-The "You Fool!" moment from the Bergeron version of HS really isn't as funny as many people make it out to be.[/quote]
I don't think this is a minority opinion. There just happen to be a few people around here who won't. let it. go.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe