Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 77100 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »
Too ABC pretty much killed the show by giving it the friday-night-slot-of-death against TPIR $100,000,000 Spectacular.
What are these Hundred Million-Dollar Spectaculars of which you speak?  I seem to have missed these episodes.

tvmitch

« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
I believe the Pat Finn stuff is unfair...he may not have been one of the best hosts in town during the early '90s, but compared to what we deal with today with all the Dylan Lanes of the world, boy howdy, Finn looks a lot better. I grew up on TJW90 before the '70s version and remember it fondly.

I loved Duel. Not afraid to say it. The idea behind the format is great. I like Greeny, maybe he wasn't the best choice for host. The show itself dragged a bit and could have used some help in presentation. But it was good at its core and it's a shame we don't see more shows in that vein...tougher one-on-one quizzes would fare well on GSN, I bet.

Earlier, someone said '80s LMAD > '70s LMAD, and I agree with that. Door #4 all the way.

Loved "The Chair." Didn't really like "Greed" all that much. Every day Regis hosted Millionaire, he became a worse host. Jim Perry was the best host of any game show in the '80s.
You should follow me on Twitter

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
Too ABC pretty much killed the show by giving it the friday-night-slot-of-death against TPIR $100,000,000 Spectacular.
What are these Hundred Million-Dollar Spectaculars of which you speak?  I seem to have missed these episodes.
Those were the eps hosted by Ezekiel Barker.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm still of the opinion Duel would have been FAR more interesting had they had also signed Mike Golic to co-host (or even as the sole host). Golic has always struck me as the more interesting of the duo, and the one with the stronger personality, and with Greeny hosting solo I always got a distinct "going through the motions" feeling.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I believe the Pat Finn stuff is unfair...he may not have been one of the best hosts in town during the early '90s, but compared to what we deal with today with all the Dylan Lanes of the world, boy howdy, Finn looks a lot better.
Pat Finn wasn't a bad host at all. What he sucked at was "knowing when it's time to fire your agent."

Earlier, someone said '80s LMAD > '70s LMAD, and I agree with that. Door #4 all the way.
I strongly suspect this is a function of the truism we find more and more evidence of as time goes on, which is that for the most part people believe that the version of a given show they grew up with is the best one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »
I grew up with the '80s LMAD. I prefer the '70s series.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
And I'm the other way--I grew up with the 70s version but prefer the '84-'86 version (slightly).  Hated the 1980 version, though (seemed really dead compared to the versions it sandwiched).

None of this invalidates Chris L.'s point, though--he did say "for the most part," and for the most part the version of a show I grew up with I do look at more fondly than the version that either predated it or followed it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:16:19 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
I strongly suspect this is a function of the truism we find more and more evidence of as time goes on, which is that for the most part people believe that the version of a given show they grew up with is the best one.

I remember almost nothing about LMaD from my childhood, except some ultra-vague recollections of LMaD'90. And I still think A-NLMaD is the best. At least some of it is the chrome (best set, extremely underrated announcing from Brian Cummings), but things like Door #4 didn't hurt.

Also, I didn't think Bob Hilton was half bad as LMaD host.
Bobby Peacock

PYLdude

« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
And I'm the other way--I grew up with the 70s version but prefer the '84-'86 version (slightly).  Hated the 1980 version, though (seemed really dead compared to the versions it sandwiched).

None of this invalidates Chris L.'s point, though--he did say "for the most part," and for the most part the version of a show I grew up with I do look at more fondly than the version that either predated it or followed it.

You're right, it doesn't- just raising the "exceptions to every rule" point, just like you did after me.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

SRIV94

« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
You're right, it doesn't- just raising the "exceptions to every rule" point, just like you did after me.

Indeed.  Popcorn?
Doug

BrandonFG

« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
Honestly, LMaD is one of those shows where, with the reruns, an episode from either decade could still pull me in. IMO they both had elements that made the shows exciting, and even into the mid-80s, Monty still knew how to build suspense over the price of a can of corn. I watch Wayne's version when I can, but there's a still a few things that irk me there.

I wish the 1980 version weren't as obscure, minus the episode and clip on Youtube.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »
The currency of choice was Zimbabwe dollars.

PYLdude

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
The currency of choice was Zimbabwe dollars.

That's a hundred quadrillion in that case. :)

geno57

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
I've never been able to watch or enjoy anything hosted by Wink Martindale or John Davidson.  I can't even tell you why.  Something about their personalities just grated on my nerves.

I've always distrusted people with too many teeth, for fear of being bitten.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
I've always distrusted people with too many teeth, for fear of being bitten.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Yet another reason not to like Donnymid.
Bobby Peacock