Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal  (Read 10781 times)

BrandonFG

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'247361\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 12:49 AM\'][quote name=\'phvHounds2010\' post=\'247360\' date=\'Sep 12 2010, 09:39 PM\']just to play to the end so she can audition on Broadway.[/quote]
But that was priceless!
[/quote]
(does some math)

8/25/08...hmmmm...so that means they're close to the first of the two big wins, assuming they go in order. That was another reason I hated this version: the over-promotion all but gave away the fact that the contestant was going to win. Otherwise, there wouldn't be nearly as much promotion.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Loogaroo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »
Favorite moment: In December of '09, a contestant on the UK version by the name of Neil goes on a hot streak in the first half of his game. His first five picks don't knock off anything lower than £1000 (and knocks out the penny), he doesn't scratch the Power Five until his eighth pick takes out £35,000, and he keeps the top four money amounts in play with 8 boxes to go. But shockingly, he Deals at 8-box for £35,000, explaining that "the numbers weren't coming to me anymore". Almost everyone in the studio - including Neil himself - thinks he's made a massive mistake. But in the playout, he proceeds to knock out all of the top four amounts, in sequence. The looks on everyone's faces when he takes out the £50,000 to secure a Spanking were priceless.

Least favorite moment: Some retired sergeant from the Army was playing, and carried $1M and one other big number (I think $750K) deep into the game. As the offers get bigger and bigger, the contestant's whiny son keeps begging him to Deal, worried that it's all going to collapse if he plays on. Army guy knocks out the safety net on the way to 6-box, and gets a pitiful $99,000 offer. With no more fallback number and his son imploring him to bail out, he decides to Deal. It's then revealed that he had the million all along, and Private Pyle just screwed him out of a whole lot of money. I was seriously expecting this guy to tell his son to drop and give him 901,000.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:20:01 AM by Loogaroo »
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Mr. Armadillo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »
Favorite moment:  A twenty-six-way tie.  (This far into the thread and no one's said it yet?)

Okay, serious favorite moment:  The first two runs, before they became a parody of themselves.

Least favorite:  The multi-multi-million-case gimmicks that made every game play the same.  When the contestant is down to, say, three big cases, it's more interesting if the three cases have different amounts than the last contestant had, instead of every big case having the same ol' "$1,000,000" plastered on it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247367\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 05:18 AM\']With no more fallback number and his son imploring him to bail out, he decides to Deal. It's then revealed that he had the million all along, and Private Pyle just screwed him out of a whole lot of money.[/quote]
Wow. I thought one of the things the Army was big on teaching was personal responsibility.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Curious question -- did anybody on the U.S. version ever win the penny?

chad1m

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'247457\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 09:38 PM\']Curious question -- did anybody on the U.S. version ever win the penny?[/quote]Yes.

trainman

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »
My favorite memory was when #7 and #23 showed up at my apartment wearing nothing but high heels, and instead of those damn suitcases, they brought pizza and beer.

Hey, I can have memories of a fantasy.
trainman is a man of trains

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 01:59:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247367\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 05:18 AM\']Least favorite moment: Some retired sergeant from the Army was playing, and carried $1M and one other big number (I think $750K) deep into the game. As the offers get bigger and bigger, the contestant's whiny son keeps begging him to Deal, worried that it's all going to collapse if he plays on. Army guy knocks out the safety net on the way to 6-box, and gets a pitiful $99,000 offer. With no more fallback number and his son imploring him to bail out, he decides to Deal. It's then revealed that he had the million all along, and Private Pyle just screwed him out of a whole lot of money. I was seriously expecting this guy to tell his son to drop and give him 901,000.[/quote]So your least favorite moment is when a guy wins a small fortune because he didn't have the position to keep playing for the Big Fella?

$99,000 is a pitiful offer?

Does not compute.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Loogaroo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247486\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 10:59 PM\']So your least favorite moment is when a guy wins a small fortune because he didn't have the position to keep playing for the Big Fella?[/quote]
It had more to do with his son being such a sniveling little coward that he was telling Dad to bail out from pretty much the third offer on. When they showed the million in his case, it was obvious from the look on the contestant's face that he was ready to go all the way if his son didn't convince him to deal.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

BrandonFG

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 05:19:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247491\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 05:14 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247486\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 10:59 PM\']So your least favorite moment is when a guy wins a small fortune because he didn't have the position to keep playing for the Big Fella?[/quote]
It had more to do with his son being such a sniveling little coward that he was telling Dad to bail out from pretty much the third offer on. When they showed the million in his case, it was obvious from the look on the contestant's face that he was ready to go all the way if his son didn't convince him to deal.
[/quote]
I'm a little confused. How many dollar amounts remained, and what were some of the amounts? If it was $1M and nothing else but a bunch of left-siders, then yeah, I could understand taking the $99K.

That being said, that goes back to my comment about how this show influenced so many other obnoxious details on other game shows. I don't give a rat's rear end about what the family/peanut gallery had to say, and I sure as crap don't need their commentary. If you want to show them gesturing to take the money, fine. But spare me the poignant dialogue, esp. from the kids.

Speaking of which, two words: Pony Deal. Sums up my point.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

J.R.

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:15 AM »
I'll offer up a legitimate "favorite" memory of US Deal: The whole "around the world" trip they did. I thought it was a neat look at how DoND is done in other countries, even though they also brought along stereotypical Americans as contestants.
-Joe Raygor

Mr. Armadillo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'247492\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 04:19 AM\'][quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247491\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 05:14 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247486\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 10:59 PM\']So your least favorite moment is when a guy wins a small fortune because he didn't have the position to keep playing for the Big Fella?[/quote]
[/quote]
I'm a little confused. How many dollar amounts remained, and what were some of the amounts? If it was $1M and nothing else but a bunch of left-siders, then yeah, I could understand taking the $99K. [/quote]
He mentioned the safety net was gone, and there were six cases left, so $99k is simultaneously worth taking (if you're risk averse) and pitiful (to someone who only cares about EV, $1M/6 = $167k).

Which, I think, was one of the true charms of Deal...it presented a scenario where not only was there usually an obvious right decision, the 'obvious' decision was not the same for everyone, which ensured the show generated a good amount of healthy discussion.

/forgot about the Around-The-World tour they did
//you're right, that *was* pretty cool
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:56:23 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

dscungio

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'247493\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 06:08 AM\']I'll offer up a legitimate "favorite" memory of US Deal: The whole "around the world" trip they did. I thought it was a neat look at how DoND is done in other countries, even though they also brought along stereotypical Americans as contestants.[/quote]

I liked the concept of "Around the World," but they purposely picked countries that also had a similar set and the 26-cases and 26-models format like in the U.S....cuz 'Mericans are stoopid.  ("22 boxes, no models and a rotary phone?!  WTF?  Change it.")  Why not see the U.K., the Netherlands, Italy or Australia?  Show us that there is variety in this show's presentation and not every set and game is a copycat of the U.S.

Dean

Sodboy13

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' post=\'247512\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 09:32 AM\']Why not see the U.K., the Netherlands, Italy or Australia?[/quote]
Because the U.S. producers wanted to make themselves look good, I would imagine.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247491\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 02:14 AM\']It had more to do with his son being such a sniveling little coward that he was telling Dad to bail out from pretty much the third offer on.[/quote]
Thank you for your service.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe