Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)  (Read 4953 times)

That Don Guy

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
On the 9/21/2010 broadcast, the second door they opened was a contestant-selected door, and it had the Big Deal.

That, I had seen before (quite often, on the old ABC daytime version.)
However, back then, they just left the remaining (unchosen) door unopened.  This time, they opened it and described the prizes.

Does anyone else remember this ever happening on any version of LMAD?

I remember on one of the later syndicated versions where they would reveal the Big Deal second, but it was always an unselected door (of course, the couple that had selected the remaining door started celebrating, only to discover that they hadn't won the Big Deal after all).  I don't remember revealing somebody winning the Big Deal with the second door and then revealing what was behind the remaining door, before now.

-- Don

NickS

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
I can't answer your main question but I saw the episode today and Wayne played it well; I thought, "Well - another $2k gift..." and then the SWERVE~!

Not expecting that, which is a good thing.

/LMAD Zonk Movie of the Week still needs work
//Requesting Brady/Chappelle II

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'248061\' date=\'Sep 21 2010, 10:24 PM\']/LMAD Zonk Movie of the Week still needs work[/quote]
Isn't that the point, though?

There were several times last season when Wayne opened doors on request, and at least once it threw off the typical progression
This signature is currently under construction.

bandit_bobby

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
What I've seen while watching this version of the show is usually, if the first door revealed has the small deal, the game is over and you end up with the medium deal.

The usual BD reveal orders have been either that or medium-small-big. They've occassionally changed the reveals at either Wayne's request or the players' request (like today).

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'248066\' date=\'Sep 21 2010, 10:51 PM\']There were several times last season when Wayne opened doors on request, and at least once it threw off the typical progression.[/quote]
I don't like how Wayne does the Big Deal -- "Let's see what's behind Door #2...we hope the Big Deal is behind here" gives off the feeling that he has no idea where the Big Deal is. And it typically means the chosen Door isn't the Big Deal, which in and of itself is usually a pair of ultra-expensive trips or a single car.

I also don't like that the Big Deal has only one person...nor, if I'm honest, that there is a serious lack of games not based purely on chance (i.e., guessing item prices within a given range). The only non-luck game I know of is the out-of-place "Here's three groceries, now tell me which one was introduced before 1950".

Obgameshow: It's weird. An episode I have from late 1969 (NOT the "mini-treasure chests" one) has the Big Deal revealed second and then Monty goes right into the Quickie Deals.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:39:23 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mike Tennant

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248059\' date=\'Sep 21 2010, 10:16 PM\']That, I had seen before (quite often, on the old ABC daytime version.)
However, back then, they just left the remaining (unchosen) door unopened.[/quote]Just a thought, but maybe this was done when they were running late since they tried to make those shows as live-to-tape as possible.

That Don Guy

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'248076\' date=\'Sep 21 2010, 09:54 PM\']I also don't like that the Big Deal has only one person...nor, if I'm honest, that there is a serious lack of games not based purely on chance (i.e., guessing item prices within a given range). The only non-luck game I know of is the out-of-place "Here's three groceries, now tell me which one was introduced before 1950".[/quote]
I also don't like the "one player Big Deal", but I have a feeling it's the only way they will give away anything over $20,000 in the BD.  Even on the ABC daytime episodes, the BD tended to be "watered down" (and, in fact, on a number of occasions, when they gave away a car during the show, it was actually worth more than that day's BD).

There are some other games not based on chance, usually involving two trips and having to make an "either-or" choice. For example, IIRC, there was a trip to Bermuda and a trip to Jamaica; Wayne displayed the latitude and longitude of each location's capital, and the contestant had to decide which was which.

-- Don

jimlangefan

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
During the Hall days, they often edited out the door that nobody took to save time.
TV's Big Dealer

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248104\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 02:25 PM\']I also don't like the "one player Big Deal", but I have a feeling it's the only way they will give away anything over $20,000 in the BD.  Even on the ABC daytime episodes, the BD tended to be "watered down" (and, in fact, on a number of occasions, when they gave away a car during the show, it was actually worth more than that day's BD).[/quote]
Yeah, I remember seeing a few GSN repeats that had that situation. Nowadays, though, I've seen contestants trade away a car for a 1-in-3 chance at about $2,000-$3,000 more than the car was worth. And, most of the time, the other two Doors have less than $10,000.

There are some other games not based on chance, usually involving two trips and having to make an "either-or" choice. For example, IIRC, there was a trip to Bermuda and a trip to Jamaica; Wayne displayed the latitude and longitude of each location's capital, and the contestant had to decide which was which.
And it still isn't something the average person is likely to know, which is my point. In versions past, you either got A) pure chance or B) something to do with prices; nowadays, you either get A) pure chance or B) "Name That Arcane Invention!"

Obgameshow: The 1963 pilot showed the Big Deal second, followed by the unchosen Door.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

That Don Guy

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'248116\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248104\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 02:25 PM\']
There are some other games not based on chance, usually involving two trips and having to make an "either-or" choice. For example, IIRC, there was a trip to Bermuda and a trip to Jamaica; Wayne displayed the latitude and longitude of each location's capital, and the contestant had to decide which was which.[/quote]
And it still isn't something the average person is likely to know, which is my point. In versions past, you either got A) pure chance or B) something to do with prices; nowadays, you either get A) pure chance or B) "Name That Arcane Invention!"[/quote]
In one of the later syndicated versions, they also had C) spelling.  The two I remember were "Scirocco" and "Caribbean".  (They have done it at least one on the new version as well - I think it was for a Volkswagen Tiguan.)

-- Don

BrandonFG

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248142\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 11:32 PM\']In one of the later syndicated versions, they also had C) spelling.  The two I remember were "Scirocco" and "Caribbean".[/quote]
The mid-80s version. I remember seeing a contestant have to spell "Peugeot", but she spelled it "Honda". :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Neumms

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248142\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 10:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'248116\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'248104\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 02:25 PM\']
There are some other games not based on chance, usually involving two trips and having to make an "either-or" choice. For example, IIRC, there was a trip to Bermuda and a trip to Jamaica; Wayne displayed the latitude and longitude of each location's capital, and the contestant had to decide which was which.[/quote]
And it still isn't something the average person is likely to know, which is my point. In versions past, you either got A) pure chance or B) something to do with prices; nowadays, you either get A) pure chance or B) "Name That Arcane Invention!"[/quote]
In one of the later syndicated versions, they also had C) spelling.)
[/quote]

I can see not having pricing games, since CBS has an hour of that already. I don't mind the other ones--at least it's not "you want the envelope or the box?"

I didn't mind the "spot the cross dresser" of Billy Bush's version. It's not a test of knowledge but it's not blind luck either. More of that "Play Your Hunch" kind of thing could help the hour. Maybe some of these:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/time-waster

tvmitch

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »
Bring back Door #4. I loved Door #4. There were sirens, great camera swooshes, a neat number selector, and a very cool wheel layout. Perhaps it was because I was about 5 years old, but it was the awesome sauce.

I think they could have some fun playing some sort of memory game, like Concentration, without the rebus. Show everyone the symbols (or not), cover them, whoever matches 3 sets first wins. Maybe a $otC Winners' Board type game between two people, whoever matches something first wins.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:50:26 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

Mr. Armadillo

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'248223\' date=\'Sep 24 2010, 02:17 PM\']I didn't mind the "spot the cross dresser" of Billy Bush's version. It's not a test of knowledge but it's not blind luck either. More of that "Play Your Hunch" kind of thing could help the hour.[/quote]
Now that you mention it, that sort of thing has been sorely lacking ever since Street Smarts went off the air.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:12:51 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Neumms

LMAD 9/21 (SPOILER)
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »
Another way they could go is with intuition games like "How Much Is Enough," prisoners' dilemma, and the British game where each player picks a dollar amount but the highest amount is out. None of them was enough to carry a whole show, but could be fun as part of a smorgasbord. And each has a gambling element that would put it at home on LMAD.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:35:44 PM by Neumms »