Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows on Facebook  (Read 5942 times)

tvmitch

Game Shows on Facebook
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
I know that at least a few of you must be playing some of the game show games on Facebook, like Wheel, Feud, TPiR, etc.

Thought I would open up this thread for discussion on those in general, starting with this topic: for those who have played TPiR on Facebook, have you found the level of "cheating" to be epidemic? By "cheating," I mean that the folks playing the game are on the top levels and have obviously memorized or kept a pricebook of most of the IUFB and Showcases. I played four games last night and during each game there were no less than three exact bids, making it nearly impossible to advance. Took a lot of the fun out of it for a newbie player, I guess.

I've found Feud to be very fun and challenging. I like the way they set that up. Twenty seconds per answer seems like a lot of time but not when you're trying to think of that last #4 answer.
You should follow me on Twitter

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249488\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 09:30 AM\']I know that at least a few of you must be playing some of the game show games on Facebook, like Wheel, Feud, TPiR, etc.

Thought I would open up this thread for discussion on those in general, starting with this topic: for those who have played TPiR on Facebook, have you found the level of "cheating" to be epidemic? By "cheating," I mean that the folks playing the game are on the top levels and have obviously memorized or kept a pricebook of most of the IUFB and Showcases. I played four games last night and during each game there were no less than three exact bids, making it nearly impossible to advance. Took a lot of the fun out of it for a newbie player, I guess.

I've found Feud to be very fun and challenging. I like the way they set that up. Twenty seconds per answer seems like a lot of time but not when you're trying to think of that last #4 answer.[/quote]
I stopped playing "Price" for technical issues (the version of Flash required gave me error messages that forced me to log off and log back on).

I stopped playing "Feud" because they acccepted answers where they shouldn't have, and even more glaringly did not accept answers they should have (and when I lost the right to play Fast Money by one point on an answer that should have been accepted but wasn't, that was the final straw).

I do like "Wheel."  Just wish I could find a way to not hit Bankrupt when I'm one consonant away from solving the puzzle.  Can't tell you how many times this has happened.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:13:47 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249488\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 09:30 AM\']I know that at least a few of you must be playing some of the game show games on Facebook, like Wheel, Feud, TPiR, etc.[/quote]
I'd not played the Wheel game on FB yet; it's not bad, and I like the way they've shortened it to be more of a quickie than a full-length experience (a la TPiR)

Granted, playing for the first, time, this was my bonus round puzzle.  Before I selected my 3+1.  

/The answer is 'trendsetter'
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249488\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 07:30 AM\']By "cheating," I mean that the folks playing the game are on the top levels and have obviously memorized or kept a pricebook of most of the IUFB and Showcases.[/quote]
And this surprises you...why?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dazztardly

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249488\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 09:30 AM\']I know that at least a few of you must be playing some of the game show games on Facebook, like Wheel, Feud, TPiR, etc.

Thought I would open up this thread for discussion on those in general, starting with this topic: for those who have played TPiR on Facebook, have you found the level of "cheating" to be epidemic? By "cheating," I mean that the folks playing the game are on the top levels and have obviously memorized or kept a pricebook of most of the IUFB and Showcases. I played four games last night and during each game there were no less than three exact bids, making it nearly impossible to advance. Took a lot of the fun out of it for a newbie player, I guess...[/quote]

I agree. Snipers suck the fun out of playing the game.

We had the same issue with Scrabble Sprint on FLASHGames². People would cheat the game by writing down the answers...and take advantage of ringing in before starting the clock. 0.0 seconds across the top ten scores...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'249491\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 10:13 AM\']I stopped playing "Price" for technical issues (the version of Flash required gave me error messages that forced me to log off and log back on).[/quote] I had a bunch of these during the BETA version as well.  They have since got the kinks knocked out and I have had no issues since.
I played four games last night and during each game there were no less than three exact bids, making it nearly impossible to advance. Took a lot of the fun out of it for a newbie player, I guess.
When I run into one of these games, I click "back to lobby", and then "play game".  It gives you a different set of people to play with.  I've also reported cheaters for abuse...such as the one who had 134 perfect bids in 124 games.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

alfonzos

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
I've played TPiR and FF. Neither was satifying. I couldn't get the my guesses in fast enough for the former and it wouldn't accept my answers as correct in the latter. I don't see how anyone could spend hours a day on Facebook. I log in for a few minutes every couple of days and that's it.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

tvmitch

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'249511\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 03:10 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249488\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 07:30 AM\']By "cheating," I mean that the folks playing the game are on the top levels and have obviously memorized or kept a pricebook of most of the IUFB and Showcases.[/quote]
And this surprises you...why?
[/quote]
Didn't say I was surprised, just disappointed. Partial blame is due to the TPiR folks who didn't build in quite enough IUFB videos in the game...I have played five games and have seen three repeats myself. But no, the Internet doesn't surprise me anymore...
You should follow me on Twitter

J.R.

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
Yeah, the Facebook WOF is really fun. Great time killer.

/Alfonzos dislikes something? I'm so shocked.
-Joe Raygor

Hastin

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'249516\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 12:52 PM\']Partial blame is due to the TPiR folks who didn't build in quite enough IUFB videos in the game...[/quote]

I'd argue that most of the blame lies with Ludia and their lack of content. Across about 20-30 games, I've seen the same Showcase video 6 times - and the same IFUB items over and over. Come on!
-Hastin :)

BrandonFG

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
When TPiR was beta-testing, I could never get the thing to work, so I never tried it.

Feud is fun to play...Doug's problem happened a lot during when it was a game on Uproar.com as well.

I like the Wheel game, but the bonus round prize offering is a bit cheesy. $2,500?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'249541\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 05:12 PM\']I like the Wheel game, but the bonus round prize offering is a bit cheesy. $2,500?[/quote]
I won $5,000 in mine. Good enough for Bob Goen, good enough for me. :)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »
Yeah, it got bumped to 5k (or 2500 each for help) not too long ago.
This signature is currently under construction.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »
I had a question today that makes me really wonder who they survey for Family Feud.  The question was "Name a reason you might dislike a Family Feud question".  At #6 was "Too American".  The hell?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

Game Shows on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'249575\' date=\'Oct 21 2010, 01:25 PM\']I had a question today that makes me really wonder who they survey for Family Feud.  The question was "Name a reason you might dislike a Family Feud question".  At #6 was "Too American".  The hell?[/quote]
Don't see why this is unreasonable. Oftentimes watching Only Connect material will come up that is local enough to a British audience that no way no how will an American get it. Difference is that OC is being made for a British audience and so we expect that to happen and take it in stride, whereas Facebook Feud is a worldwide app.