Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions about two home games  (Read 2715 times)

Bob Zager

Questions about two home games
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Being a long-time collector of home game versions of game shows, I recently stumbled across a couple of questionable findings:

Pay Cards:

As shown in this link at boardgamegeek.com, there is a "Wild Card!"  Did Whitman include a "Wild Card," round in certain copies, or could the original owner of the copy shown have custom made his/her own, for play like the TV show!:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/16536/pay-cards

BTW:  On the TV show, Wild Cards had a green star on them, or after celebrities began appearing and playing for audience members, the Wild Cards had a photo of the guest celeb.

Camouflage:

While watching an episode on YouTube, with Johnny Gilbert subbing, he presents a departing contestant a copy of the home game, however it appears to be in smaller sized box (approximately the size of all the MB Concentration game boxes).  Anybody seen one in a box that size?

Also, from other illustrations (online, in books, etc.), certain copies DO NOT mention the TV show on the box, and I notice that the item number MB assigned to the game was 4009, which would indicate the game was manufactured in 1960 (hence, the second digit "0"), but the show premiered in 1961.  Could the show have started out locally and gotten its own home game before becoming a network show?

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'249544\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 08:54 PM\']Being a long-time collector of home game versions of game shows, I recently stumbled across a couple of questionable findings:

Pay Cards:

As shown in this link at boardgamegeek.com, there is a "Wild Card!"  Did Whitman include a "Wild Card," round in certain copies, or could the original owner of the copy shown have custom made his/her own, for play like the TV show!:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/16536/pay-cards[/quote]
My copy comes with four decks of cards, designated for separate rounds of play. Round 2's deck and Round 3's deck both have wild cards (however, it's set up so that achieving five of a kind isn't possible).

alfonzos

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
Camoflague box dimensions: 18" x 13" x 1"
Concentration box dimensions: 19" x 10" x 2"
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'249546\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 09:39 PM\']My copy comes with four decks of cards, designated for separate rounds of play. Round 2's deck and Round 3's deck both have wild cards (however, it's set up so that achieving five of a kind isn't possible).[/quote]

I assume since you mention "Rounds 2 and 3" that the instructions for the game designate that, am I right!

The copy I have DOES NOT have wild cards themselves, and no mention of such rounds, and the spinner for the JACKPOT round is red (rather than black as shown at boardgamegeek).  I might try to find a copy with WCs on eBay sometime!

Thanks for the info!

Bob Zager

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'249577\' date=\'Oct 21 2010, 05:04 PM\']Camoflague box dimensions: 18" x 13" x 1"
Concentration box dimensions: 19" x 10" x 2"[/quote]

Okay, but I'm wondering if anyone owns, or has seen a Camouflage game in a box 19" x 10" x 2", or if what I've seen is just an illusion, or even a prototype box.

I HAVE seen some copies which read at the bottom of the box art "Find the hidden object. Fun for the entire family," instead of mentioning the bonus of the clear plastic sheeting, to go over the TV screen.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'249609\' date=\'Oct 22 2010, 02:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'249546\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 09:39 PM\']My copy comes with four decks of cards, designated for separate rounds of play. Round 2's deck and Round 3's deck both have wild cards (however, it's set up so that achieving five of a kind isn't possible).[/quote]I assume since you mention "Rounds 2 and 3" that the instructions for the game designate that, am I right!

The copy I have DOES NOT have wild cards themselves, and no mention of such rounds, and the spinner for the JACKPOT round is red (rather than black as shown at boardgamegeek). I might try to find a copy with WCs on eBay sometime![/quote]
I just double-checked my copy (which I got from eBay some time ago) last night -- red spinner, no Wild Cards, and no distinguishing between the four decks except the smaller one for the Jackpot Round. Interesting that there were two print runs of this game, and I'd bet the one with Wild Cards included was the later release.

[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'249544\' date=\'Oct 20 2010, 08:54 PM\']Camouflage:

Also, from other illustrations (online, in books, etc.), certain copies DO NOT mention the TV show on the box, and I notice that the item number MB assigned to the game was 4009, which would indicate the game was manufactured in 1960 (hence, the second digit "0"), but the show premiered in 1961. Could the show have started out locally and gotten its own home game before becoming a network show?[/quote]
I have no idea if it was ever a local series, but perhaps the board game was turned into a game show like Monopoly did?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:21:25 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bob Zager

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
Now that I've found out what I wanted to know about the Pay Cards game, I'd like to know if any has seen/owns a copy of Super Pay Cards!