Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 14625 times)

joshg

Classic Concentration
« on: November 24, 2003, 12:15:13 PM »
I've been cataloging some of my tapes lately and I ran across some episodes of Classic Concentration, and I've had some trouble trying to keep track of all the format tweaks and changes they performed on the show in it's short life. In no particular order:

one loss and you're gone
win 2 out of 3 games (the yellow **s on the podiums)
2 losses and you're gone (the red XXs on the podiums)
one bonus round per show
a bonus round after every puzzle
rebus puzzle answers shown before the game starts
the contestant explains the rebus
the sweater shows
those god-awful neon palm trees

Is this the only Goodson (or G-T) show that has ever had a massive amount of on-air tweaking? The only other G-T show that comes to mind in regards of tweaks and changes is Now You See It.

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Ian Wallis

Classic Concentration
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 12:30:02 PM »
Is this the only Goodson (or G-T) show that has ever had a massive amount of on-air tweaking? The only other G-T show that comes to mind in regards of tweaks and changes is Now You See It.

"Now You See It" only had one major change - Christmas week 1974 when they totally revamped the format (speaking of that, has anyone got that first revamped episode on tape?)

They did have a minor change part way through with the "bonus answers" rule, where contestants could get 10 extra points if they got an answer right that they wrote down before the round started.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic Concentration
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 01:07:27 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:15 AM\'] Is this the only Goodson (or G-T) show that has ever had a massive amount of on-air tweaking? The only other G-T show that comes to mind in regards of tweaks and changes is Now You See It.
 [/quote]
 By these same arguments, "Password" and "The Price Is Right" have been pretty severely abused over time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

Classic Concentration
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 01:23:44 PM »
By these same arguments, "Password" and "The Price Is Right" have been pretty severely abused over time.

"Password" has been abused both on-air (the *wonderful* 'Stars' format) and pre-air (Plus, Super). "Price", IMO, wasn't really abused, but added to by the very nature of the format: different and rotating pricing games. Yes, it was abused pre-air in '72, but if the 'one-bid' (or IUFB or whatever it's called) was to be taken out and the contestants just run up on stage, then that would be abuse...

wait, they did that already... never mind

JOSH

AH3RD

Classic Concentration
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:56:41 PM »
There is a webpage which so lavishly details such formats: The Classic Concentration Site
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

clemon79

Classic Concentration
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 03:07:03 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 11:23 AM\'] but if the 'one-bid' (or IUFB or whatever it's called) was to be taken out and the contestants just run up on stage, then that would be abuse...
 [/quote]
 I only meant to use the term "abused" in the sense that it "deviated from the original format." Whether those changes were for the better or worse, just like the list of Concentration alterations, is for the individual to decide for themselves.

Skynet74

Classic Concentration
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 06:10:22 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 12:15 PM\']

JOSH [/quote]

I disagree with that view. I really liked those Palm Trees. It gave the show a cool California feel. I'm also a fan of neon. So needless to say, that's an addition that I was glad to see.

John

PeterMarshallFan

Classic Concentration
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 06:18:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 07:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 12:15 PM\']

JOSH [/quote]

I disagree with that view. I really liked those Palm Trees. It gave the show a cool California feel. I'm also a fan of neon. So needless to say, that's an addition that I was glad to see.

John [/quote]
 I liked them too.

J.R.

Classic Concentration
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 06:19:51 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 12:15 PM\'] Is this the only Goodson (or G-T) show that has ever had a massive amount of on-air tweaking? The only other G-T show that comes to mind in regards of tweaks and changes is Now You See It.

JOSH [/quote]
 I have to agree. "CC" did play the Format Limbo in it's Four years on the air. I think this is a pretty accurate cronology of the formats:

1987-1988: One loss you're gone. Two bonus rounds. If 2nd game has not finished before the "times-up" bell and you lose in the speedround, you get to comeback the next day regardess. Clock starts at 35 secs and increases 5 secs every unsuccesfull attempt, you can stay for as many as 5 victories and win up to 5 cars (The record is 3, I believe). No palm tree's anywhere. Alex explains the puzzles and the answers are not shown on the screen. Two pieces of the puzzle are reveled outright, if the 2nd round is short on time, then Four pieces are reveled

1988-1989: The best-two-out-of-three format. One bonus round. No pieces shown outright. You can be elimated in the Speedround. Answers show up on the screen. Contestants get to explain. The Palm Trees in the car podiums. Win a car, you retire. Alex's hair is gradualy losing it's fluff.

1989-1990: Same as before, except with the Palm Trees everywhere and the addition of the "Cash Pot" in the first round. Winners Circle now has "Grass" and folliage.

1990-1991: Double-elimatation format. Two bonus rounds. The clock increases based on the number of unsuccesfull times you've been to the "Winners Circle" (Which is now some sort of grassy bush thing). Cash Pot in the 2nd round as well as "5 Bonus Seconds"

There you have it. The first format, IMO, was too confusing and complicated and way to generous (Five cars ? Wow !). I though the best-two-out-of-three format was perfect, it actually gave the 2nd round more time and both players had a chance to win some stuff. The 3rd format was just bizarre with the clock only increasing on the numbers of times you've been to the "WC" (Obviously the work of the NBC Budget Department) and cheeper cars (Was the Subaru Justy the Official Car of "CC" in 1991 ?)

Oh, and I though the Palm Tree's were cool. Helped liven up the rather barren set.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

joshg

Classic Concentration
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 06:43:34 PM »
Wow Joe what a tome! Thank you! While looking over your list, I can't help but think that either MGP was either too focused on bringing Concentration back and didn't iron out exactly how to play the game or NBC had something to do with the formatics and that's why it started like that. Also, I seem to remember that there were no "Take"s during the first few weeks of the show, correct?

On a related note, I see that the Palm Trees received the most votes in the FoF and will be shown on Thanksgiving Day... yes, the set was *huge* (8 cars take up a lot of room, you know...) and the home base was this tiny little thing in the middle of it all. Maybe if they started with the trees as opposed to adding them after a year or so, then maybe I'd be more forgiving. Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over the issue.

(Was the Subaru Justy the Official Car of "CC" in 1991 ?)

What about the Daihatsu Charade? That popped up alot in the series run.
I also remember they couldn't spell 'Camaro' on occasion (Camero).

JOSH

J.R.

Classic Concentration
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 07:26:17 PM »
Thanks for your compliements. "Concentration" (Not just Trebek's version) is one of my all-time favorite shows.

I believe the TAKE! premiered in the first season. I'm not sure when they added the 2nd TAKE! and made them color coaded.

On the subject of the "Cash Pot". I'm curious, how high did the MASSIVE jackpot ever get ?

Speaking of the cars, I love the way Alex would speak in a Japanese accent whenever the Suzuki Samuari showed up !

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 07:27:51 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 07:29:46 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 07:26 PM\']
I believe the TAKE! premiered in the first season. I'm not sure when they added the 2nd TAKE! and made them color coaded.

On the subject of the "Cash Pot". I'm curious, how high did the MASSIVE jackpot ever get ?

[/quote]
 There were a couple of months(?) with only one Take on the board.

calliaume

Classic Concentration
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 09:09:38 PM »
If we're talking about G-T shows with major format changes, Showoffs -- which changed its scoring method during the main game and changed the end game completely -- should be mentioned.

Does anybody know if the Classic Concentration changes had anything to do with NBC budget cuts?

If NBC really starts up five digital channels, they've got to find room for a revival on one of them.

clemon79

Classic Concentration
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 09:13:12 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 04:43 PM\'] On a related note, I see that the Palm Trees received the most votes in the FoF and will be shown on Thanksgiving Day... [/quote]
 Huh? GSN doesn't have rights to air any form of Concentration.

zachhoran

Classic Concentration
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 09:16:30 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 09:09 PM\'] If we're talking about G-T shows with major format changes, Showoffs -- which changed its scoring method during the main game and changed the end game completely -- should be mentioned.

[/quote]
 Trivia Trap changed the maingame midway in the run, adding the Fact or Fiction round and altering the format of the "wrong answers" round to the mix.