Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show TV Milestone Of The Week  (Read 6914 times)

AH3RD

Game Show TV Milestone Of The Week
« on: November 24, 2003, 03:28:15 PM »
NOVEMBER 26, 1956

The NBC Television Network launches the very game show which in a later incarnation would become the pinnacle of Goodson-Todman's game show repertoire and continue to thrive to this day: The Price Is Right.

This earlier incarnation was a more sedate version than the one we currenty know today; there were no pricing games, no boisterous announcer beckoning contestants to "Come On Down!!", nor did Bob Barker emcee either (he was at the time emceeing Truth Or Consequences). It did, however, have a contestants row, onstage, and its original emcee was game show TV's reigning king, Bill Cullen.

In this first version, four contestants one a returning champion competed throughout the show. After a merchandise item was shown (often by beautiful models), the contestants, one at a time, bid on the item (sound familiar?). Unless otherwise stated, each bid had to be higher than the previous bid; each contestant could "freeze," or stop bidding, if they believed their next bid would cause them to overbid, thus disqualifying themselves from winning the prize. The bidding continued until an undefined time limit ran out. Host Cullen then gave the price of the item; the contestant who bid closest without going over won it, and occassionally, won either a bonus prize or got to play a bonus game. The last prize of the day was usually the most valuable, and often determined the day's champion, who got to return to the next show (something which isn't the case on the new and current version!). A special feature of the original Price Is Right let home viewers bid on special showcases.

After a sensational 7-year run on NBC Daytime, it defected to The Alphabet Network, ABC, where it lived out its last 2 years; there, contestants competed against a celebrity player, who played for a home viewer. 7 more years later, CBS brought back TPIR as part of 3 game show premieres on its daytime schedule September 4, 1972 (sandwiched between The Joker's Wild and Gambit), renamed---with magnificent originality!---The New Price Is Right, emceed by the unconquerable Bob Barker. This, of course, is the current version (the New having been dropped from the title in June 1973), which has earned its title as the longest-running network daytime game show in television history, and, at this time, it seems there is no end in sight!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 03:38:42 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 03:53:44 PM »
Minor quibble: Bob Barker didn't start hosting TorC until 12/31/56 when the show started a daytime run on NBC.  That was his national TV debut, thanks to Ralph Edwards.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 04:18:43 PM »
Bob Barker didn't start hosting TorC until 12/31/56 when the show started a daytime run on NBC. That was his national TV debut, thanks to Ralph Edwards

...and Bob always liked to tell the story that he called Ralph every year at 12:05 p.m. on Dec. 21st (I think I've got the date and time right) to thank him for offering him "Truth or Consequences".

Unfortunatly there's not much of "Truth or Consequences" around right now, but luckily Bob's first episode is one that we still get to enjoy today.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

GSWitch

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 04:45:26 PM »
You also forgot these facts;

1).  The theme song would later be re-used for Snap Judgment (1967-69 NBC).

2).  Arlene Francis was a guest femcee.  The next femcee would occur in 1977 when Sarah Purcell hostessed The Better Sex.

3).  Don Pardo announced (& even guest HOSTED on camera) on NBC while Johnny Gilbert had the ABC honors.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 05:06:39 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 02:45 PM\'] You also forgot these facts;
 [/quote]
 You have to ask yourself...did he FORGET those facts, or did he simply choose not to bury us in a sea of minutae?
2).  Arlene Francis was a guest femcee.
Femcee? Good lord, man, you need to get past your gender issues.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 05:19:22 PM »
Question - as there was no "Come On Down" as such in this version, was there any way the players being selected from the audience contributed to the proceedings? Was it even mentioned outside of the opening speil?

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 05:25:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 03:19 PM\'] Question - as there was no "Come On Down" as such in this version, was there any way the players being selected from the audience contributed to the proceedings? Was it even mentioned outside of the opening speil? [/quote]
 No, they were just contestants, selected like any other contestants of the day were. They were already seated behind the contestant desk when the show started.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:55:19 PM »
The one thing I find interesting is that every bid had to be HIGHER than the one before. Of course, they played multiple rounds of bidding, but you didn't find anyone going back and bidding a dollar because they thought the others were too high.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 06:10:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 02:25 PM\']they were just contestants, selected like any other contestants of the day were. They were already seated behind the contestant desk when the show started.[/quote]
Were all contestants of the day taken out of the audience?

[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 02:55 PM\']you didn't find anyone going back and bidding a dollar because they thought the others were too high.[/quote]
It happened from time to time. Contestants were allowed to "underbid" the first time around the block, if they felt an opponent started the bidding too high.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 06:29:07 PM »
My favorite ep was the one where they gave away "The Thinker."  "Gosh, Bill that sure would look good next to the fireplace. My wife is really gonna like that. Gosh, that sure is nice."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 07:09:58 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GSWitch

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 10:07:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 04:06 PM\']
Femcee? Good lord, man, you need to get past your gender issues. [/quote]
 As Steve Martin would say...

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSE ME!

The proper term would be hostess, sorry!

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 10:40:53 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:07 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 04:06 PM\']
Femcee? Good lord, man, you need to get past your gender issues. [/quote]
As Steve Martin would say...

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSE ME!

The proper term would be hostess, sorry! [/quote]
 *VRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!*

...as Flight 407 non-stop to Clueville roars overhead....

cweaver

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 11:46:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 05:06 PM\']You have to ask yourself...did he FORGET those facts, or did he simply choose not to bury us in a sea of minutae?[/quote]
Personally I never tire of any reminder of Don Pardo's role on this show.  Especially considering I once mentioned it on an email list and someone condescendingly shot me down, trying to tell me Johnny O did it from '56 to '65 and I must have gotten "confused."  

Come to think of it, I never tire of being reminded of Don Pardo's role in *anything.*  But that's just me.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 12:19:43 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 05:55 PM\'] The one thing I find interesting is that every bid had to be HIGHER than the one before. Of course, they played multiple rounds of bidding, but you didn't find anyone going back and bidding a dollar because they thought the others were too high. [/quote]
 Question: were contestants allowed to bid just one dollar higher, or was there a minimum?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 02:50:04 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 12:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 05:55 PM\'] The one thing I find interesting is that every bid had to be HIGHER than the one before. Of course, they played multiple rounds of bidding, but you didn't find anyone going back and bidding a dollar because they thought the others were too high. [/quote]
Question: were contestants allowed to bid just one dollar higher, or was there a minimum? [/quote]
 IIRC, there was a minimum... sometimes.  There were some special items where many rules were thrown out or included, like the one-time bid.

Brandon Brooks