Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price Is Right Music Cues  (Read 15151 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Price Is Right Music Cues
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'251434\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 03:02 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251430\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 04:36 PM\'](Gotta give him Maryann Jorgensen credit for restoring the opening chord, though.)[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]
Maryann discovered the problem but Edd fixed it.

[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' post=\'251433\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 02:58 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251423\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 02:21 PM\']
the new stuff doesn't sound like "real" game show music
Fixed for you.

\A book on the history of the music (or Score or Edd) would be unputdownable.
Yeah, well good luck getting into Fort Kalehoff to talk to the guy. His right-hand man is on guard, armed and ready to shoot to kill the Crazed Theme Collector, the Musical Pedophile or the New Rochelle Axe Murderer.

You could always call his house and hope the missus answers.
[/quote]

You should really learn to let things go.[/quote]
Welcome to our board, Mr. Prickett.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251445\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 09:50 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'251434\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 03:02 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251430\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 04:36 PM\'](Gotta give him Maryann Jorgensen credit for restoring the opening chord, though.)[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]
Maryann discovered the problem but Edd fixed it.
[/quote]

I've listened to all the edited cuts that Maryann made to add the opening chord.  

Who told you he fixed it?

Perhaps you got your information from Edd's P.R. Director Andrea?

Argo

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »
Thats weird I never noticed it before on the show (again i haven't watched regularly for ages) but they did keep the first note from the old theme it sounds like. Weird but well done.

If not, my bad.. the few clips i've heard definitely sounds like the old starting note rather than the new 'super nintendo-ish' theme.

M

robsearson

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251423\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 03:21 PM\']Yeah, well good luck getting into Fort Kalehoff to talk to the guy. His right-hand man is on guard, armed and ready to shoot to kill the Crazed Theme Collector, the Musical Pedophile or the New Rochelle Axe Murderer.[/quote]

Chris I know you tried something similar to this at one point and got totally stiff-armed, but I wonder if he would be willing to sit for an interview for the Archive of American Television collection.

No clue how one would make that happen, just sort of pondering out loud.

Mark McNeil

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »
My favorite among the new cues is the one they used for Most Expensive on today's show.

I think the theme from the Dealie Awards on LMAD's 100th episode would make a great TPIR Showcase cue.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »
[quote name=\'robsearson\' post=\'251538\' date=\'Nov 24 2010, 10:26 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251423\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 03:21 PM\']Yeah, well good luck getting into Fort Kalehoff to talk to the guy. His right-hand man is on guard, armed and ready to shoot to kill the Crazed Theme Collector, the Musical Pedophile or the New Rochelle Axe Murderer.[/quote]

Chris I know you tried something similar to this at one point and got totally stiff-armed, but I wonder if he would be willing to sit for an interview for the Archive of American Television collection.

No clue how one would make that happen, just sort of pondering out loud.[/quote]
I think it's a great idea. They should also get Bob Israel. It is possible to propose subjects to the TV Academy. I've found that some of their interviews turn out well and others leave much to be desired (Ira Skutch's interview, for example, where they focused on the least interesting parts of his career and then ran out of time). Still, Bill Prickett effectively acts as Edd's gatekeeper, so I wish them luck.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:27:11 PM by chris319 »

geno57

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'251385\' date=\'Nov 22 2010, 12:16 AM\']The old Score Productions music is certainly better than the Ray Coniff version of Ain't We Got Fun that they used to play on the Cullen version.[/quote]

Jeez, it was 1963.  The target demo:  Housewives born between approx. 1903 (the year my grandmother and Lawrence Welk were born) and '38 (the year my mom turned 18).  That theme -- a well-composed foxtrot -- fit the show, and the times, quite perfectly.

You were expecting maybe Kings of Leon?  Florence and the Machine?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:12:20 PM by geno57 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
1963? More like 1956, and even then the music they were using for prize descriptions was 10 years out of date. Bob Cobert's foxtrot theme came along years later in 1963. I just watched an old TPIR clip and in addition to Ain't We Got Fun they played Beyond the Blue Horizon behind one of their home-viewer "Showcases". Johnny Olson reading prize copy over one of Edd's MOOG arrangements would probably have blown out the audio board in the Hudson Theater.

JonSea31

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
I had to come in for this one...

I do have to admit, while some of the new cues are good, they're nowhere near as good as the ones from 1983 and beforehand.  I agree that times are changing, and I wished they could resurrect some of the older cues even for just rare appearances, but it seems as if I may have a much better chance of winning the Lotto 6/49 jackpot than hearing some pre-1983 cues, to say the least.

I was happy to hear a 1983 cue when a fireplace was offered as an item up for bids this past Friday, but other than that, it was The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour cue for the rare 4-car playing on Race Game, and a variation of the same cue during a Showcase in the first or second week of Season 40.  I haven't heard the 1983 Make Your Move or Race Game/Take Two cue since back in March, if I recall.  Those cues really bring back memories whenever I hear them on TPIR nowadays.  Though the oldest cue I hear on TPIR is the Grand Game intro music, which is the last stanza of the Richard Dawson era Family Feud theme, dating way back to 1976!  Other than that, it's no earlier than 1983 (though if we hear any 1983 cues, we are fortunate enough to only hear one of those cues max), and for the most part, it's a 21st century cue and mostly that.  The "Car Slide" cue and the mid-1990s Trip cue are the only cues from the 1990s I enjoy.

One of the very few 21st century cues I enjoy is the cue heard when the Tesla Convertible was offered during Golden Road on Earth Day 2010 (rebranded as Green Road that day) - such cue debuted in 2003 on a Million Dollar Spectacular special when a Corvette was offered during 5 Price Tags.  It was also heard on the Season 40 premiere when a Porsche was offered on 3 Strikes.  I also enjoy the cue played during some grocery descriptions and during some items up for bids - the one with a Stevie Wonder-style harmonica sound heard midway through the cue (and I do admit, I do enjoy Stevie Wonder's music greatly, so that cue is considered a reminder of Stevie Wonder).

All I can say is, I am going to enjoy whatever 1983 cues that are remaining as much as I can.  It seems as if they slowly are disappearing from TPIR, and making way for the new stuff in which most of it is just pure crap compared to back in the day.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
but it seems as if I may have a much better chance of winning the Lotto 6/49 jackpot than hearing some pre-1983 cues, to say the least.
How so? Even if you won the money, you wouldn't be able to buy the pass to listen because it isn't eBay or Amazon.

What I like about the old music is that each piece seemed purpose-written. For "Bhen," the music for the first two prizes of Ten Chances, that feels right, like it was meant to be there and to precede a car. Ditto the music for the midrange prize of Any Number. And the ambient music for descriptions of groceries and small merchandise. There was continuity and purpose, instead of just slapping tracks in there randomly.

[slight edit for content.]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 10:31:26 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
What I like about the old music is that each piece seemed purpose-written. For "Sam," the music for the first two prizes of Ten Chances, that feels right, like it was meant to be there and to precede a car. Ditto the music for the midrange prize of Any Number. And the ambient music for descriptions of groceries and small merchandise. There was continuity and purpose, instead of just slapping tracks in there randomly.

I'd like to think that was the case, but honestly, I don't.  I think that the music was written to be attractive music, and the music director snipped and cut and pasted the cues to serve the purposes of the show.  We know "Splendido" to have been used (nearly) exclusively for furniture showcases, but it could just as easily have been the theme for a sitcom.
czambo@mac.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
What I like about the old music is that each piece seemed purpose-written. For "Sam," the music for the first two prizes of Ten Chances, that feels right, like it was meant to be there and to precede a car. Ditto the music for the midrange prize of Any Number. And the ambient music for descriptions of groceries and small merchandise. There was continuity and purpose, instead of just slapping tracks in there randomly.
I'd like to think that was the case, but honestly, I don't.

Well, Travis said the word "seemed," and I agree with him. Whether the music was meant for any certain purpose by the composer, the show (via producers, music supervisors, et al) created musical themes that they stuck to, by-and-large.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Clay Zambo

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
Understood.  But I wonder how much "feels right" is "that's how they did it a bunch of times in a row," and how much of that was "well, it worked last time, so why bother to change?"

Don't get me wrong.  I miss the old music.  Although there's so much audience noise these days during prize descriptions that it's often hard to hear any music.

(Somebody get those kids off my lawn.)
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
Understood.  But I wonder how much "feels right" is "that's how they did it a bunch of times in a row," and how much of that was "well, it worked last time, so why bother to change?"
I would argue that it's probably quite a lot, but that the "right feeling" that resulted from it is what's ultimately important.