Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Improve On the Spot  (Read 5519 times)

JayC

How to Improve On the Spot
« on: November 24, 2003, 10:10:49 PM »
1. Play with 3, 4, or 5 small products, not 6.

2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)  If contestant is right, s/he stays on the path, and guesses another SP to fit the price (ex: $50) If the contestant is wrong on a GP, then s/he goes to the next path.  Contestant wins by getting to the end of a path, as usual.  Contestant loses when s/he runs out of GPs, and is not far enough on the last path

I know this seems Pathfinderish, but it may be helpful to get some wins.  Speaking of On the Spot improvements, a set change wouldn't hurt!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 10:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM\'] 2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)

[/quote]
 Aren't they already guessing the prices of products?
Speaking of On the Spot improvements, a set change wouldn't hurt!
Neither would replacing it with a game that doesn't suck.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 10:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM\'] 2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)

[/quote]
 [/quote]
 He takes products to mean grocery store items, rather than the small prizes priced in On the Spot. I don't think placing both grocery items and small prizes in the same pricing game is a stellar idea.

JayC

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 11:12:56 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM\'] 2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)

[/quote]
 [/quote]
He takes products to mean grocery store items, rather than the small prizes priced in On the Spot. I don't think placing both grocery items and small prizes in the same pricing game is a stellar idea. [/quote]
 It would make the game 1 of a kind though

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:00:06 AM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 11:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM\'] 2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)

[/quote]
 [/quote]
He takes products to mean grocery store items, rather than the small prizes priced in On the Spot. I don't think placing both grocery items and small prizes in the same pricing game is a stellar idea. [/quote]
It would make the game 1 of a kind though [/quote]
 Professor Price was 1 of a kind--and most of us know what a dismal failure that was.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 12:26:54 AM »
I'm sure I'm one of the few who LIKES On The Spot, but clearly this game is not as tough as some fans make it out to be.  Yes, the $69 Telephone can be tricky, as can those Coolers.  

The game can easily be controlled by the types of SP used.  Put the $400 vaccuum cleaner out there and I'll guarantee you'll see more winners.  People seem to suck at Pricing some items, and therefor, don't deserve to win!

Gromit

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 05:39:39 AM »
I agree, I like this game. It's not won a lot, because most folks are clueless. They have very little idea of what the prices of the items are, are make some absolutely stunning choices. They'll need a price of $12, and they'll skip over the mop or salt and pepper shakers for something else.

It's also a game where you can't just luck into a win, unlike many other games.

Most folks are far too focussed in their playing, they look at one price only. There are six prizes, three for the front game (first two items in each row) and three for the end (last item in each row). Folks need to look at them all as a group before play starts, and figure out which ones are which. At a minimum, you should be able to pick out the tough ones (similarly priced middle items), and the easy ones. Usually, the lowest and highest priced items are easy to pick out, find them, and see what that means for your paths. That highest item is almost always the last item in a row, so I call that my "easiest path" and save it for *last*, the first two paths should be used to gather info for your final run. It's vital that you get your first guess right though, so you may have to use your easy path to do so.

It is a game where they can easily control the difficulty. A couple of times, there have been items like $45, $50, and $60, so close together that it was pretty much a guaranteed loss.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 09:49:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 05:39 AM\']
It is a game where they can easily control the difficulty. A couple of times, there have been items like $45, $50, and $60, so close together that it was pretty much a guaranteed loss. [/quote]
 ANother way they seem to make this game harder is to use small prizes not commonly seen in other pricing games, so that the diehards who memorize some of the prices(like us) will have a harder time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 11:34:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 03:39 AM\'] At a minimum, you should be able to pick out the tough ones (similarly priced middle items), and the easy ones. Usually, the lowest and highest priced items are easy to pick out, find them, and see what that means for your paths. That highest item is almost always the last item in a row, so I call that my "easiest path" and save it for *last*, the first two paths should be used to gather info for your final run. It's vital that you get your first guess right though, so you may have to use your easy path to do so.
 [/quote]
 While I agree with this approach, and think it's solid strategy, I think you're asking for a lot from your average TPiR contestant. This is the same show that had to majorly dumb down Ten Chances to get winners.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 11:49:07 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:52 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 10:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM\'] 2. If a contestant messes up on a path, s/he can stay on the path by guessing the correct price of a grocery product (choice of 2 prices, 3 GPs available.)

[/quote]
 [/quote]
He takes products to mean grocery store items, rather than the small prizes priced in On the Spot. I don't think placing both grocery items and small prizes in the same pricing game is a stellar idea.[/quote]
And besides, the potential number of fee plugs would put them way over the limit of six fee plugs (and a captioning plug) per half-hour--which is why you never see a small prize game and a grocery product game in the same set of three.

Yes, I know that most small prizes nowadays are not fee plugged--but the potential's still there, particularly in the second half, when two fee plug spots are likely to be taken by the consolation prize plugs.

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 12:01:12 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 11:49 AM\']
And besides, the potential number of fee plugs would put them way over the limit of six fee plugs (and a captioning plug) per half-hour--which is why you never see a small prize game and a grocery product game in the same set of three.

Yes, I know that most small prizes nowadays are not fee plugged--but the potential's still there, particularly in the second half, when two fee plug spots are likely to be taken by the consolation prize plugs. [/quote]
 There were times in recent years where the small prize and the grocery product game WERE played in the same half. While it is true that the small prizes aren't often fee plugged as they were in the past, there are now a few grocery items that are not fee plugged(i.e. the Squeegee seen often last season, it's an O Cedar product, but after its second appearance, they began taking it out of its packaging and not mentioning the brand name)