Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About Sale of the Century's clearances on NBC in the '80s  (Read 3312 times)

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
About Sale of the Century's clearances on NBC in the '80s
« on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
This info regarding Sale of the Century's broadcast history in my area may not be of much general interest, but I am going to share it here since I did the research.

With easy access at work to the newspaper archive, including TV listings, I wanted to see how much Sale of the Century actually aired in my area. Although we regard it as a show that enjoyed a healthy six-year run, I was curious if my hunch that not much of it aired in my area is correct. Via cable, my city had/has two NBC affiliates — WMC (Memphis) and WTVA (Tupelo, Miss.)

One wrinkle here is that the newspaper archive is spotty in the 1980s. For 1983, when Sale premiered in January, the earliest papers available are from June. The TV listings here reveal that Sale was in the 2:30 slot on WMC and nowhere to be found on the WTVA schedule. Based on this and my perusal of listings through '89, I am going to make the assumption that, for whatever reason, WTVA never aired Sale at all.

Jumping ahead to January '84, Sale still holds the 2:30 slot on WMC, while WTVA has the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour in that slot. (I remember as a kid being really impressed by the huge display wall on MG/HS Hour, so Sale may have lost me to that on some days.)

Later in '84, Sale still has its WMC slot in July, but by September, Scrabble has replaced it at 2:30, and Sale is gone from the schedule, never to return. No local stations carried the syndicated run. So, as far as folks around here knew, Sale of the Century ran from January '83 to mid '84. This fits with my memories, as I only have some vague recollections of seeing the original run of Sale in its early days, including the rainbow buzzers period, while home from school. I know that Sale suffered clearance issues in its later years, but I'm wondering why it got so little love from not just one but two local affiliates while early in its run and enjoying ratings success. I guess that's my question for the board — was Sale this neglected elsewhere?

Scrabble got far more exposure than Sale, appearing on WTVA's schedule as late as '89, when it was part of a surprisingly big block (considering that they rarely did more than a one-hour game block during the '80s) with Wheel; Win, Lose or Draw, and Jeopardy!.

Despite ditching Sale, WMC liked to have a game in that 2:30 slot. In January '86, Scrabble is off their schedule, but Let's Make a Deal sits in the 2:30 slot.

tyshaun1

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »
In the 80's, not many affiliates cleared all of the network daytime schedule, opting for either local fare or syndicated shows due to higher revenues. For instance, here in the Louisville market, the CBS affiliate aired comedy reruns from 10-11 when CBS moved TPIR to 11AM in '79, therefore no Whew!, Child's Play, Pyramid (although they began airing it in Sept. 1984), or PYL. They cleared the 10:30 slot starting with the premiere of Card Sharks in 1986.

Tyshaun

/wasn't there a thread just like this one?
//Ahh..... here it is.

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »
OK ... I never saw that thread. Would have posted there or abstained.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:04:55 AM »
I may or may not have mentioned this earlier in other threads (and I have nothing to contribute to the thread pointed out recently, because as a kid our family didn't subscribe to cable, therefore denying me and my siblings the chance to watch out-of-town affiliates), but in both San Diego and Huntsville, AL, $ale was never cleared by the NBC affiliates.  I read in an article somewhere that $ale may have run circa 1986 on KTTY Channel 69 (today's KSWB "Fox 5"), while Huntsville (nor anywhere else in Alabama except Montgomery) never got the show over the air in first run.  I haven't checked yet, but I don't think it was cleared in Nashville either.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

chrispw1

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
In Milwaukee it was only cleared on WTMJ 4 for about two years of its run from fall 1986 to fall 1988 and during the rest of its run it was usually bumped for syndicate fare such as talk shows, syndicated reruns or game shows although the first six months in 1983 were cleared on WVTV 18 and a few months on ECGV 24 in early 1984.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
In Orlando WESH carried the whole game block (except for Super Password) However, WXIA in Atlanta never carried $ale but they carried Wheel and Scrabble.

Mario

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
I wonder if anyone can answer me on whether or not $ale was ever cleared by KGW 8, which is my NBC affiliate here in Portland, OR?

~Ben

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
I wonder if anyone can answer me on whether or not $ale was ever cleared by KGW 8, which is my NBC affiliate here in Portland, OR?

~Ben
Yes, if this post from another forum is any indication.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mario

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »

~Ben
Yes, if this post from another forum is any indication.
It also showed up in the 9 AM time slot on the 9/8/87 and 2/16/88 schedules.

~Ben