Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 208172 times)

Unrealtor

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'255354\' date=\'Jan 22 2011, 09:09 PM\']Found an ad for Kennedy TPIR

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/B...-1985-01-07.pdf

Page 140.[/quote]

And we have the 1985 version of Mo' Money in that ad... "PRICE is the highest-budgeted game show in America."

It's not something that I'd thought of before, but it's not surprising when you look at what they're doing today. The average car they offer these days seems to be in the $20-25K range (though I know that they pay less), and Alex Trebek occasionally cites an average winning score of $23K, so in terms of appearance Price routinely gives away in a single act what J! gives out in half an hour.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:22:29 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'255392\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 11:36 AM\']Outside of the occasional appearance on The $25,000 Pyramid in the 80s, Bill's last work for Bob Stewart was Chain Reaction in 1980.  Is it possible that Stewart felt Cullen was too old to host the above triad of shows?  Yes, Clark and Nipsey weren't spring chickens in the mid-80s, but it's something that came to mind.[/quote]
Yeah, that's certainly something to consider, and I'd have given it more weight if Stewart was clearly going after fresh young talent.  But these three are just as clearly from his "Bill wasn't available" playbook.  It is odd (and I hadn't considered it until this thread) that Bob didn't give Bill another show to host after Chain Reaction, even though the two remained close.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tyshaun1

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'255399\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 01:29 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'255392\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 11:36 AM\']Outside of the occasional appearance on The $25,000 Pyramid in the 80s, Bill's last work for Bob Stewart was Chain Reaction in 1980.  Is it possible that Stewart felt Cullen was too old to host the above triad of shows?  Yes, Clark and Nipsey weren't spring chickens in the mid-80s, but it's something that came to mind.[/quote]
Yeah, that's certainly something to consider, and I'd have given it more weight if Stewart was clearly going after fresh young talent.  But these three are just as clearly from his "Bill wasn't available" playbook.  It is odd (and I hadn't considered it until this thread) that Bob didn't give Bill another show to host after Chain Reaction, even though the two remained close.
[/quote]

Wasn't it said that Bill wanted to retire from the biz after Chain Reaction? Maybe Bob respected his wishes, even though Goodson and Barry/Enright kept throwing money at him.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'255387\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 10:24 AM\']Had that ever came to fruition I am sure Merv and company would have to find someone else to announce the syndicated version of WOF.  Or Bob Stewart would have to find someone else to host Three on a Match.[/quote]
Guys still hosted two shows simultaneously back then. I think Jack could've handled hosting one game and announcing another...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'255412\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 06:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'255387\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 10:24 AM\']Had that ever came to fruition I am sure Merv and company would have to find someone else to announce the syndicated version of WOF.  Or Bob Stewart would have to find someone else to host Three on a Match.[/quote]
Guys still hosted two shows simultaneously back then. I think Jack could've handled hosting one game and announcing another...
[/quote]

Well, you can't double dip and work for two producers in syndication

calliaume

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'255395\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 01:14 PM\']I think it would surprise people just how old Nipsey really was.    He was *older* than Bill by two years according to the bio entries I've seen.

That said, I don't think there was ever a time in Bill's game show career when he was doing two daily shows at once, network and syndicated as a host.[/quote]
No, but he had periods where he was doing a network show as host, a five-a-week syndie on a panel, and a weekly syndie as host.

I don't know how Pyramid's syndicated version taped -- whether it was the whole season in two or three weeks (like, say Masquerade Party must have), or a more leisurely schedule.  Squares just would tape an extra show or two each week, but that wouldn't make sense with a different host between the network and syndicated editions.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'255428\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 04:00 PM\']Well, you can't double dip and work for two producers in syndication[/quote]This is the first I've heard of that. Shouldn't? I'd buy that. Oughn't? OK, I can dig it. But Can't?

Proof or Not Real.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'255432\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 07:20 PM\']I don't know how Pyramid's syndicated version taped -- whether it was the whole season in two or three weeks (like, say Masquerade Party must have), or a more leisurely schedule.[/quote]
If you're talking about Bill's (and I'm pretty sure you are), they taped six shows a day on five taping days for a total of thirty shows each season.  Each taping date had a pool of six celebrities (three men, three women) who each played two episodes.  I don't know the exact taping dates, but as I understand it, they would schedule around the availability of Bill and whatever celebrities they could rustle up.  It wasn't just five consecutive days and out.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'255436\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 07:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'255428\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 04:00 PM\']Well, you can't double dip and work for two producers in syndication[/quote]This is the first I've heard of that. Shouldn't? I'd buy that. Oughn't? OK, I can dig it. But Can't?[/quote]
Jamey can't prove it because, as a blanket statement, it's nonsense.  Cullen worked for Goodson (TTTT) and Stewart ($25K) at the same time in syndication.  Johnny Gilbert surely had other jobs for other producers in the decades that Jeopardy has aired.  

It is always possible that one or the other (or both) producers might want to sign their talent to exclusive contracts, and there probably have been many such contracts over the years.  But no one -- certainly not Mr. Greek -- can say what would definitely have happened in any particular case.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'255452\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 07:32 PM\']Johnny Gilbert surely had other jobs for other producers in the decades that Jeopardy has aired.[/quote] Pyramid would be the easiest one. He comes and goes two weeks here and three weeks there, but he was in the rotation.

It is always possible that one or the other (or both) producers might want to sign their talent to exclusive contracts, and there probably have been many such contracts over the years.
And Johnny could tell Jeopardy, "Fine, just pay me more money and you get exclusivity," and Jeopardy can then decide what they want to do. If exclusivity is an issue at all it had to come up, because you can't just pretend that oh no, that was my sound-alike brother Newton Gilbert you heard on the Pyramid earlier today, and he just uses my name on stage. At some point there was a conversation about it.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'255455\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 10:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'255452\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 07:32 PM\']Johnny Gilbert surely had other jobs for other producers in the decades that Jeopardy has aired.[/quote] Pyramid would be the easiest one. He comes and goes two weeks here and three weeks there, but he was in the rotation.[/quote]
Technically speaking, though, he might have only done the network version of Pyramid, and Jamey was specifically talking about two syndicated shows at the same time.  Having both a network and a syndicated gig at the same time was fairly common.  In Gilbert's case, Love Connection might be a better example.

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'255458\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 11:00 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'255455\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 10:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'255452\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 07:32 PM\']Johnny Gilbert surely had other jobs for other producers in the decades that Jeopardy has aired.[/quote] Pyramid would be the easiest one. He comes and goes two weeks here and three weeks there, but he was in the rotation.[/quote]
Technically speaking, though, he might have only done the network version of Pyramid, and Jamey was specifically talking about two syndicated shows at the same time.  Having both a network and a syndicated gig at the same time was fairly common.  In Gilbert's case, Love Connection might be a better example.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I forgot lol

Jimmy Owen

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »
In 1990 Johnny Gilbert announced for J! and Quiz Kids Challenge in syndication.  QKC was touted to have a chance to topple J! by covering all demographics with a virtually identical format, so if Merv was okay with that, he probably would have let Jack do other shows too.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/B...-1985-07-08.pdf

The cover is heralding $100k Pyramid and it has a Picture of Dick Clark on there.

J.R.

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'255502\' date=\'Jan 24 2011, 06:14 PM\']The cover is heralding $100k Pyramid and it has a Picture of Dick Clark on there.[/quote]
Because there is no other place on the Internet to find a picture of Dick Clark.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'255504\' date=\'Jan 24 2011, 05:31 PM\']Because there is no other place on the Internet to find a picture of Dick Clark.[/quote]You shut your mouth, sir! Dick Clark demands your respect! Demands it!
Travis L. Eberle