Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Podacst revelations  (Read 3130 times)

MyronMMeyer

Podacst revelations
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »
A couple of notes of game show interest from recent podcasts.

First, comedian Doug Benson noted on Marc Maron's WTF that he worked as a writer on something called Rodeo Drive and also Debt, back in the day. That's about the extent of the game show talk, but the whole podcast can be found at

http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-131-doug-benson

if you are interested.

Second, Jimmy Pardo talks Funny Money and his Game Show Convention experience on Pop My Culture.  You can hear that one at

http://www.popmyculturepodcast.com/?p=1523

, the game show stuff is right at the beginning. He's told the story on Never Not Funny, but it's worth re-hearing here I think.

-M

Matt Ottinger

Podacst revelations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'252561\' date=\'Dec 15 2010, 01:43 PM\']the game show stuff is right at the beginning. He's told the story on Never Not Funny, but it's worth re-hearing here I think.[/quote]
That is...uncomfortably spot-on.  Weirdly, I don't remember seeing him, or even being told he was there.  Could just be a memory gap on my part, though, I met a LOT of people, famous and otherwise, on that trip.  Still, his perspective on how he was received does not surprise me at all.

I like Pardo a lot, I should probably check out his own podcast.  He turns up occasionally on The Bob & Tom Show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Podacst revelations
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
Cole, Vanessa and quick-witted podcasting king Jimmy Pardo
"Podcasting king?" Really?

/T.J., step forward
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MyronMMeyer

Podacst revelations
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252568\' date=\'Dec 15 2010, 02:57 PM\']
Cole, Vanessa and quick-witted podcasting king Jimmy Pardo
"Podcasting king?" Really?
[/quote]

Yes, really. People pay for his podcast. A lot of people (myself included). He's got dedicated fans. His is the format that's being ripped off left and right by comedians who hope and dream they can make even some of the money he makes. He's not getting wealthy, but his easily one of the most successful podcasts that isn't a spinoff from TV or radio.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, his Pardcast-a-thon raised more than 26,000 dollars for the charity Smile Train.

Don't dis what you don't understand, okay?

-Myron
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:34:31 PM by MyronMMeyer »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Podacst revelations
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'252576\' date=\'Dec 15 2010, 02:31 PM\']Over Thanksgiving weekend, his Pardcast-a-thon raised more than 26,000 dollars for the charity Smile Train.[/quote]
Hey, that's wonderful and I wish him the best. But that's also the first time I've seen his name associated with any sort of regal title in the podcasting world.

I'm sure his show is marvelous when his fans are so quick to rush to his defense. Kudos to him.

/and a Baba-Booey to y'all
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

Podacst revelations
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
Well, to be fair, Jimmy would likely only call himself that jokingly.

But his position in the podcasting world does have to be respected, he's one of the few out there who have successfully monetized it at all. While it's not his day job (he's the opening comedian for Conan and, before that, Conan's Tonight Show), he clearly loves what he does and he has built up a nice audience that enjoys that.

I still think he would make a great game show host. Funny Money's lack of success was not his fault.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tvwxman

Podacst revelations
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'252663\' date=\'Dec 17 2010, 08:48 AM\']I still think he would make a great game show host. Funny Money's lack of success was not his fault.[/quote]
agreed. I always thought he was solid - despite the weak format.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"