Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Money Vault  (Read 7229 times)

davidbod

Money Vault
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 05:37:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'253538\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 12:00 AM\']One gameplay suggestion: picking all 10 bailout cards automatically awards the full bank. Or, to guard against the extremely slight possibility of grabbing all 10 before a single cash card, the option to walk with the current full bank.[/quote]

Devising a special rule for a 10 billion-to-1 shot seems a little unnecessary.
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

MyronMMeyer

Money Vault
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'253548\' date=\'Dec 28 2010, 08:46 PM\']How are the values of the "Cash Cards" determined?  Are they just randomly generated numbers between 1 and 100?  That's important for game play, knowing that they aren't weighted to the high numbers or the low numbers.  It's very well designed, both as a game and as a computer program.[/quote]

This, exactly. Knowing what numbers are available changes the strategy.

-M

Clay Zambo

Money Vault
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'253573\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 07:00 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'253548\' date=\'Dec 28 2010, 08:46 PM\']How are the values of the "Cash Cards" determined?  Are they just randomly generated numbers between 1 and 100?  That's important for game play, knowing that they aren't weighted to the high numbers or the low numbers.[/quote]
This, exactly. Knowing what numbers are available changes the strategy.
[/quote]

Yes, but it makes it a different game (and rather closer to DoND).  In the game we're given, there's a deck of 100 valued cards that's been shuffled, and 40 have been dealt onto the board.  Play accordingly.

I see the suspense value, by the way, in the ascending number-reveal.  Well, I would see it if we were playing for real money.  For fun, yeah, not so much.  Fun game, though.
czambo@mac.com

tpirfan28

Money Vault
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'253533\' date=\'Dec 28 2010, 06:13 PM\']though I could go without the long, drawn out reveals that have become so stereotypical of today's game shows.[/quote]I like the reveal, maybe make it a bit faster like the way Pointless does (of course ascending)?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

WhammyPower

Money Vault
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'253583\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 11:27 AM\']I like the reveal, maybe make it a bit faster like the way Pointless does (of course ascending)?[/quote]
There's always the (IMO, far superior) Power of 10 option.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Money Vault
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
I don't have a problem with the reveal. The way it works now, once you have a few cards on the board adjacent to each other, you go through the following:

1) "Okay, we're in a safe zone, you can stop now."
2) "Okay, it would be REALLY good to stop here 'cuz you'd be close to another card."
3) "Oh, dammit, we're in a bad zone now, don't stop here."
4) "Okay, we're back in a safe zone, stop anytime..."

Using the Power Of 10 reveal would ruin all of that and be no better than just flipping the card over.

Which, for my way of thinking, works pretty well. I was also impressed at the way the reveal just jumps to the end at the point where you are officially screwed (because you are higher than the lowest card that does not have an empty slot above it). Thought that was a nice little touch to recognize that. A lot of people wouldn't.

Overall I liked the assessment of it being "high-stakes Rack-O." The first few cards play themselves, pretty much (since you don't know which 40 are on the board, you're kinda forced to assume it's an even distrubution and play them accordingly), but it definitely gets interesting after that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:28:27 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Money Vault
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'253592\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 03:26 PM\']I don't have a problem with the reveal. The way it works now, once you have a few cards on the board adjacent to each other, you go through the following:[/quote]

I wish it were a little faster, but that's just a quibble. As Chris said, it really has a nice bit of suspense. It made me wonder, if you were to turn it into a game show, how you could stage it with drawing cards (which is nice because it makes it feel authentic and honest) yet keep the dramatic reveal.

Terrific idea.

gameboy2000

Money Vault
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
One way would be to draw the cards and stick them into a slot.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

clemon79

Money Vault
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
[quote name=\'gameboy2000\' post=\'253598\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 01:17 PM\']One way would be to draw the cards and stick them into a slot.[/quote]
Exactly what I was thinking, and you could probably get away with that in this day and age.

The problem with that (and, again, in this age of gameboards on video screens and CGI and such, nobody cares, sadly) is that now as a viewer at home I have no physical proof that the card they chose matters one whit.

That said, here's a compromise that could fly and make everyone happy: Retrieve card, stick in slot, do dramatic reveal. Then, after, host pulls card out of slot and opens it to reveal physical pre-printed dollar value.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Money Vault
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »
There's two big problems as the game stands. (And this is just the game; not if you're making it as a game show or anything)

1) I'm not winning stuff. The tease-thing doesn't work because I'm not playing for anything. "Aw shucks, that card didn't fit. Oh well." I wasn't getting excited/deflated as the tally neared my valleys and passed over my "bad" areas, because there isn't a stake in it.

2) the game really plays itself. If you do what I did and play the averages, you will end up with roughly a 10% chance of winning the game if you get down to the last placement. The one time that I hit the dumb button was placing 38 in the three-spot, forgetting that the first spot is one through ten, and then moving up. If you do what's sensible, like place a card where it will do the least harm, or it will give you the biggest gap possible, then that's the sum total of the strategy at hand.

It looks nice, and there are nice touches like not dragging out the tedium when it is obvious that you lost, but I just can't see myself going back to play again and again.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Money Vault
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'253615\' date=\'Dec 29 2010, 08:22 PM\']1) I'm not winning stuff. The tease-thing doesn't work because I'm not playing for anything. "Aw shucks, that card didn't fit. Oh well." I wasn't getting excited/deflated as the tally neared my valleys and passed over my "bad" areas, because there isn't a stake in it.[/quote]
If you're playing it as a gambling game, sure. If you're playing it as a hmm-I-want-to-see-if-I-can-place-ten-cards game, it works better. But, yes, the "do you want to stop or go on?" cards don't interest me in the slightest.
2) the game really plays itself.
That's what I meant about the first few cards. Once you've seen a couple more, and you've had to place them someplace you wouldn't because its "home slot" is unoccupied, it spices up a little.

But, yes, until such time as you can't, you're gonna play the averages, and unless the cards chosen ARE a representative distrubution, it's probably going to bite you in the ass at some point. :)

LA the DJ

Money Vault
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
I have felt some suspense at the slow count-up of the card towards the end of the game waiting to see if it fits where I want it, but it's more annoying at the beginning.

Maybe if it's possible to make the count go progressively slower as the game goes on. As in card one reveals immediately and each one gets a little slower until the tenth card counts up at the current speed.

Granted I know nothing about programming (I'm sure Lemon could chime in here), and I don't know how easy that would be to do, but it would be a nice addition.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

Money Vault
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 03:58:36 AM »
[quote name=\'LA the DJ\' post=\'253635\' date=\'Dec 30 2010, 12:33 AM\']Granted I know nothing about programming (I'm sure Lemon could chime in here)[/quote]
Well, I'm hardly an expert myself. :)

But the nutshell is this: Sure, if you really felt like it, it would be pretty trivial to ramp down the reveal speed over the course of the first X cards, until you got to the point you wanted to level it off at. Most likely, just doing that would achieve the desired effect most of the time.

The possible problem is that in some games, you're going to have occasion to put two cards next to each other early on, and as soon as *that* situation is in play (and the possibility exists that the next card ends the game or forces the use of a lifeline) you'd probably want to go directly to the slowest reveal. And that's going to look kinda jarring, I think. Certainly it's an easy situation to trap for, but then as a hobbyist you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the effort. :)

toetyper

Money Vault
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
are the  amounts determined as the game starts  or after you  draw

clemon79

Money Vault
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'253657\' date=\'Dec 30 2010, 01:19 PM\']are the  amounts determined as the game starts  or after you  draw[/quote]
Doesn't matter in terms of actual gameplay so long as a value isn't repeated, but I would wager that he populates the array before the game starts. Easier to manage later thay way.