Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid questions  (Read 2714 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Pyramid questions
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »
Has there ever been an instance where the team got none of the words in a particular round? I've seen at least one 1/7 round on $25KP and... well, frankly, I can't imagine there not being at least a couple 0/6s on Donnymid at some point.

(Also, I hate to bring up TV Tropes again, but one editor there — no, not Dan — said there was apparently a game so lopsided it ended after three rounds. Any truth to this? I don't really see how it could be possible.)
Bobby Peacock

tpirfan28

Pyramid questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'254250\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 04:43 PM\'](Also, I hate to bring up TV Tropes again, but one editor there — no, not Dan — said there was apparently a game so lopsided it ended after three rounds. Any truth to this? I don't really see how it could be possible.)[/quote]
Impossible.

Team A gets 7/7 (total 7)
Team B gets 0/7 (total 0)
Team A gets 7/7 (total 14)
Team B would get the next two rounds, and can still score 14.

/Games have ended in 4, though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:04:05 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

Pyramid questions
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
There's an episode with Paul Kreppel that features some really disastrous game-playing, but I can't seem to find it. The two things I remembered were that a) he got pretty frustrated during one clue-giving round, and came off as slightly condescending, and b) the round ended pretty early, but that might've been after the fourth round.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Pyramid questions
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Closest you could come to a 3 round victory:

Team B gets cuckoo'd on the first word in round 4.

Perhaps something like this happened?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid questions
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'254272\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 05:06 PM\']Closest you could come to a 3 round victory:

Perhaps something like this happened?[/quote]I remember a thing where there were two categories left and the leading team was up 14-6 or some such. There was much tapdancing in the Winner's Circle. There are lots of things that have to go wrong for a two three-point rounds, but that seems to be rarest of all. Even the "We don't have to play the sixth category" seems to be fairly infrequent.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Pyramid questions
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
I haven't seen one like Kevin's, but I have seen this:

Team 1 (very few points)
Team 2: 7/7
Team 1: 5/14
Team 2 wins 13-5 without ever seeing the 7th word.

I know I saw a 0/6 on Donnymid. I know I've seen tiebreakers end when the first team got 7/7 and the second team got cuckoo'd on the first word. I'm told that there was a round where a team got 0/7 in the full 30 seconds in the NY era. What made it an especially big shocker is that, IIRC, it was round 6, and they needed 1 to tie, 2 to win.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid questions
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'254272\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 05:06 PM\']Closest you could come to a 3 round victory:

Perhaps something like this happened?[/quote]
I guess this could happen too:

Team A gets 0/7
Team B gets 7/7
Team A gets 0/14
Team only needs 1 point to lock the game.

BillCullen1

Pyramid questions
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
IIRC, on a $25K Pyramid with Bill Cullen as host, George Maharis was a celeb. He got six points and his opponent had 14 after four categories. Cullen announced the game was over and had to stretch to fill the time. This was during the second game.

On daytime Pyramid, Jimmie Walker and Shelley Winters got zero in rounds. Connie Francis was playing against Nipsey Russell. She needed one to tie, two to win. She got zero. She was receiving the clues. This might be what Jay Temple was referring to.

One thing about Pyramid. They usually didn't invite bad celebs back. There were exceptions to this.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:11:47 PM by BillCullen1 »

Ian Wallis

Pyramid questions
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
I remember a thing where there were two categories left and the leading team was up 14-6 or some such. There was much tapdancing in the Winner's Circle. There are lots of things that have to go wrong for a two three-point rounds, but that seems to be rarest of all. Even the "We don't have to play the sixth category" seems to be fairly infrequent.

I'm sure I remember one instance where that happened and there was still a Mystery 7 in play (or it could have been the 7/11).  Dick gave the team behind at least a chance to pick a category to see if they could get it and go for the bonus prize.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

Pyramid questions
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'254308\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 12:08 PM\']On daytime Pyramid, Jimmie Walker and Shelley Winters got zero in rounds. Connie Francis was playing against Nipsey Russell. She needed one to tie, two to win. She got zero. She was receiving the clues. This might be what Jay Temple was referring to.[/quote]

Ah yes, referred to in the epic "What Were They Thinking" book (and no I am not being sarcastic, that book ruled).  Dick was trying to use Pyramid as a vehicle to help Connie's comeback, but it didn't quite work, needless to say.  One can't fault her, of course (not that you were faulting her or anything...) with what she went through...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.