Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Password  (Read 2529 times)

JMFabiano

CBS Password
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
So I am watching the BCI set and I'm on the disc that begins with some (eventually) all-celebrity games.  In the lightning rounds, I've noticed instances of the players getting credit for a correct guess even when an illegal clue was given.  Were they just going easy during the all-celeb games, or was Dr. Reason always asleep during the LR's?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

geno57

CBS Password
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' post=\'254304\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 10:30 AM\']So I am watching the BCI set and I'm on the disc that begins with some (eventually) all-celebrity games.  In the lightning rounds, I've noticed instances of the players getting credit for a correct guess even when an illegal clue was given.  Were they just going easy during the all-celeb games, or was Dr. Reason always asleep during the LR's?[/quote]

Dr. RAG was more lenient during the celeb games.  You might also notice that questionable things were often allowed to slide during the Lightning Rounds, since lenience during the end game didn't affect anyone else's winnings.

Ian Wallis

CBS Password
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
I think another reason why they were so leniant in the lightning rounds is probably because there was so little money at stake back in those days.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

CBS Password
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'254319\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 02:30 PM\']I think another reason why they were so leniant in the lightning rounds is probably because there was so little money at stake back in those days.[/quote]

Yeah, maybe that can be the subconscious reason why I prefer Plus and Super.  Penalties for illegal clues in the bonus round, culminating in SPW's Pyramid-ish "one IC forfeits the top prize."
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Kevin Prather

CBS Password
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'254319\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 11:30 AM\']I think another reason why they were so leniant in the lightning rounds is probably because there was so little money at stake back in those days.[/quote]
This. Occasionally, an illegal clue was even met with "I'll give it to you. Move on."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Password
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'254346\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 06:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'254319\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 11:30 AM\']I think another reason why they were so leniant in the lightning rounds is probably because there was so little money at stake back in those days.[/quote]This. Occasionally, an illegal clue was even met with "I'll give it to you. Move on."[/quote]Because how does it look if you quibble over fifty bucks? There's a difference between a bonus game where you can win several hundred or a few thousand dollars, tens of thousands of dollars, and two-hundred fifty damn dollars. Once they were playing with the betting word or the Big Money Lightning Round, did you see that leniency carry over?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
CBS Password
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'254347\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 07:38 PM\']Once they were playing with the betting word or the Big Money Lightning Round, did you see that leniency carry over?[/quote]

Only a conjecture based on what little we have of that version and the record of its various tournaments...I imagine the caliber of play kept illegality from the lightning round in a vast majority of cases.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

CBS Password
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'254315\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 01:58 PM\']Dr. RAG was more lenient during the celeb games.  You might also notice that questionable things were often allowed to slide during the Lightning Rounds, since lenience during the end game didn't affect anyone else's winnings.[/quote]

Allen frequently says as much.

In the later versions, though, it seems a bit unfair to penalize the civilian because the celebrity gives an illegal clue. Not that they should wave it off, but hey, it's not the player's fault. They should give him or her a new board. What's the rationale not to?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Password
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'254355\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 08:30 PM\']In the later versions, though, it seems a bit unfair to penalize the civilian because the celebrity gives an illegal clue. Not that they should wave it off, but hey, it's not the player's fault. They should give him or her a new board. What's the rationale not to?[/quote]"HYPERBOLA"? What the hell is that?

"Guess we'll have to bring in a new round. Back up the truck, fellas."
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

CBS Password
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'254355\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 08:30 PM\'][quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'254315\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 01:58 PM\']Dr. RAG was more lenient during the celeb games.  You might also notice that questionable things were often allowed to slide during the Lightning Rounds, since lenience during the end game didn't affect anyone else's winnings.[/quote]

Allen frequently says as much.

In the later versions, though, it seems a bit unfair to penalize the civilian because the celebrity gives an illegal clue. Not that they should wave it off, but hey, it's not the player's fault. They should give him or her a new board. What's the rationale not to?
[/quote]
Because Password and Pyramid are team efforts. Even though only one of them wins a prize, they're still a team, and a celeb who gives an illegal clue is just as culpable as the player who can't solve a certain word.

Jay Temple

CBS Password
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
That's why I liked Pyramid giving players the option of giving or receiving (for most of its history).
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Ian Wallis

CBS Password
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
That's why I liked Pyramid giving players the option of giving or receiving (for most of its history).

While it surprises me that more contestants didn't opt to give - especially in the '80s version - celebrities were probably more comfortable in the role.  I remember Richard Kline one time pretty well denying his (male) partner the opportunity to give in the winner's circle, and Dick briefly summing up why when they came back from commercial.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

joker316

CBS Password
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'254355\' date=\'Jan 9 2011, 11:30 PM\']In the later versions, though, it seems a bit unfair to penalize the civilian because the celebrity gives an illegal clue. Not that they should wave it off, but hey, it's not the player's fault. They should give him or her a new board. What's the rationale not to?[/quote]
Maybe that's why, on P+ the judge's only docked $1K off the prize instead of "one illegal clue and you're out"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:53:15 PM by joker316 »
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck