Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canadian viewers, would you like to TalkAbout...  (Read 3020 times)

vtown7

Canadian viewers, would you like to TalkAbout...
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
For those who live up north of the border like I do, GameTV has replaced Just Like Mom (and that guilty pleasure, kids putting gatorade and mustard into cookie recipes) and replaced it with TalkAbout.  Airing 11am and 7pm weekdays.

Ryan.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »
I'm happy to hear this.  I always hoped GTV would rotate more series into their game-show programming.  Maybe one day they can raid the CTV vaults - there's got to be years worth of Definition sitting around.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'254004\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 05:55 PM\']Just Like Mom (and that guilty pleasure,.....)[/quote]
Looks like the host had a few guilty pleasures of his own.

/too easy?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:25:49 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'254378\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 01:25 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'254004\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 05:55 PM\']Just Like Mom (and that guilty pleasure,.....)[/quote]
Looks like the host had a few guilty pleasures of his own.[/quote]
Oh, man, that HAS to be the genesis of the creepy Bryan Cranston skit on SNL earlier this season.  Even the set looks the same!

Meanwhile, TalkAbout was one of my favorite Canadian shows (probably second only to Definition).  Few episodes of TalkAbout circulate, so you Canadians might be doing a lot of favors by having your recording devices of choice going for at least a little while.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
Duly noted in regards to Talkabout Mr. Ottinger!

R.

RyanCDN

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'254004\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 05:55 PM\']For those who live up north of the border like I do, GameTV has replaced Just Like Mom (and that guilty pleasure, kids putting gatorade and mustard into cookie recipes) and replaced it with TalkAbout.  Airing 11am and 7pm weekdays.

Ryan.[/quote]

LOL, I just noted this as well today Ryan.   I contacted Game TV a few years back with the suggestion of Talk ABout or Definition, since episodes most likely existed.  Of course, I am not the driving force, but nice to see they have done this!
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

RyanCDN

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'254376\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 11:44 AM\']I'm happy to hear this.  I always hoped GTV would rotate more series into their game-show programming.  Maybe one day they can raid the CTV vaults - there's got to be years worth of Definition sitting around.[/quote]

I had contacted CFTO many years ago - and at that time they didn't exactly confirm, nor did they deny, that episodes still existed.  They simply said no material could be released.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
My thoughts is that the episodes do exist... a friend of a friend of a friend used to work for CTV and at that time I was looking for a friend's Just Like Mom ep and it would cost at least $500 just to start looking for the ep... so I guess it depends how much the network wants to pay.

Still though, nice to see they've broke out TalkAbout.  The think that amazes me that, assuming they're in the correct format, why not air these eps and let people enjoy?

R.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
I'm surprised it took so long...I remember USA aired it for a time in the early-90s. Was a fun little game, but IMO, like a lot of the shows that came about a year later, it debuted at a time when game shows were falling in popularity.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:54:05 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Argo

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:22 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'254410\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 11:11 PM\']My thoughts is that the episodes do exist... a friend of a friend of a friend used to work for CTV and at that time I was looking for a friend's Just Like Mom ep and it would cost at least $500 just to start looking for the ep... so I guess it depends how much the network wants to pay.

Still though, nice to see they've broke out TalkAbout.  The think that amazes me that, assuming they're in the correct format, why not air these eps and let people enjoy?

R.[/quote]

Yup the only thing I didn't like about TalkAbout and most other Canadian game shows, is that they were so cheap. Seeing a top prize of $10,000 or something may have made the show a bit better, but really $1000 or $2000 or maybe a top prize of $5000 wasn't really much to go for in the mid 80s early 90s. Mind you for TalkAbout, it seemed to be one of the more elaborate sets for the time.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
My thoughts is that the episodes do exist... a friend of a friend of a friend used to work for CTV and at that time I was looking for a friend's Just Like Mom ep and it would cost at least $500 just to start looking for the ep... so I guess it depends how much the network wants to pay.

I think CFTO did a better job at saving shows than CFCF did.  I believe it was confirmed here a while back that only about 12 episodes of Mad Dash still exist despite running into the mid'80s, but that was taped at CFCF so they were probably responsible for storing the tapes (and later erasing them).

On the other hand, like many CTV shows of the time it wasn't seen at a set time across the network.  Most CTV stations aired all the network's shows but made their own schedule, so there must have been dozens of copies at stations around Canada.  I guess it's unlikely very many of those still exist though.  Like anything else, there's probably more out there than we realize.

Since CFTO was the main headquarters for the network, I'd be willing to bet that more stuff exists in their holdings.  If we're lucky, maybe some of it will surface eventually.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

vtown7

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
Ian's right: Sidney Cohen himself told me that the only episodes that exist (and have been shown by GameTV umpteen times) are those 12 or 14.

I was actually at CFTO for the first time ever today... apologies for not asking, but it was for a morning show and I was really tired...

And to respond to Argo... English-Canadian shows really didn't start offering big money until Canadian Millionaire in 2000, and then Inside the Box offered (albeit, almost impossible) $10,000 per show.  I'd rather have low prizes on the air than no prizes on the air!

R.