Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Liz Montgomery and Password Plus  (Read 10572 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Liz Montgomery and Password Plus
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 12:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
By cracky.

/A few people in Chicago metro might get that.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BillCullen1

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'254511\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 03:23 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 02:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
So that's where she learned to wiggle her nose...
[/quote]

She certainly didn't learn to do it with either of the two Darrins.

Shame that she never came back to PP. She NEVER did Super Password. Liz ranked up there with Betty White and Carol Burnett as one of the better female celeb players.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'254512\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 04:24 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 12:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
By cracky.

[/quote]

Got the Boers and Bernstein reference right away, but still learning the origin of why this phrase was said.

Anyway, it seemed to me that the producers made room for other talents on P+.  Besides, I have read that Silverman was taking flak from all corners, be it Jeopardy, Squares, or any G-T outlet.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

SRIV94

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'254773\' date=\'Jan 15 2011, 12:09 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'254512\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 04:24 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 12:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
By cracky.

[/quote]

Got the Boers and Bernstein reference right away, but still learning the origin of why this phrase was said.
[/quote]

You learn something new every day.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

pyrfan

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254460\' date=\'Jan 11 2011, 07:02 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'254434\' date=\'Jan 11 2011, 04:40 AM\']One of our co-moderators actually worked on P+, so maybe we can get the scoop without speculating.  Sometimes it seemed like the bookings were tied to a TV-movie NBC was promoting.[/quote]
Elizabeth Montgomery was always welcome on Password Plus. However, Bobby and Howard were so busy booking Judy Norton-Taylor, Debralee Scott, Joanna Gleason, Melissa Gilbert, Patty Duke-Astin and Lucy that I don't know where they would have found room for her.

The only celebrity besides George Peppard who wasn't welcome back was the one who didn't show up for a taping, forcing us to call in Bill Cullen or Dick Martin, I forget which.
[/quote]
Was it by chance very soon after Tom Kennedy took over? I say this because Bill did the second-to-last week with Allen (against Karen Morrow), and then just three weeks later, he was back again, against Barbara Rhoades.

Maybe related, maybe not, but besides the aforementioned CNR, the only other celebs I can think of who were announced as upcoming guests on P+ but never actually played the game were Joyce DeWitt and Clifton Davis.

Brendan

BillCullen1

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'254928\' date=\'Jan 18 2011, 12:49 AM\']Was it by chance very soon after Tom Kennedy took over? I say this because Bill did the second-to-last week with Allen (against Karen Morrow), and then just three weeks later, he was back again, against Barbara Rhoades.

Maybe related, maybe not, but besides the aforementioned CNR, the only other celebs I can think of who were announced as upcoming guests on P+ but never actually played the game were Joyce DeWitt and Clifton Davis.

Brendan[/quote]

Also, around the time Allen left (for good, sadly), Bill started hosting Blockbusters, IIRC. But somehow, he managed to get guest shots in on other game shows.

SRIV94

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'255289\' date=\'Jan 22 2011, 11:13 AM\']Also, around the time Allen left (for good, sadly), Bill started hosting Blockbusters, IIRC.[/quote]

As it happens, BB premiered on what was Ludden's last day of hosting P+--10/27/80 (P+ weeks were running Tuesday to Monday then).
Doug

entguy1

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'254511\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 02:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
So that's where she learned to wiggle her nose...
[/quote]

Yet someone else in that cast was playing for the other team???

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'255447\' date=\'Jan 23 2011, 09:50 PM\'][quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'254511\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'254500\' date=\'Jan 12 2011, 02:04 PM\']I've always heard that EM and RF were bearding for each other...[/quote]
So that's where she learned to wiggle her nose...[/quote]

Yet someone else in that cast was playing for the other team???[/quote]
Careful, the Elizabeth Montgomery gossip is only that, and I don't think there's a lot to go on.  She was married four times (not counting a years-long affair with a Bewitched director) and lived with Foxworth for decades before they got married.  Foxworth himself has been married three times, and his third marriage is current.  

She was an outspoken gay rights advocate before that was as accepted as it is now, not that we don't still have a long way to go.  Of course, for some small-minded people, the mere fact that she appeared at a gay rights event would be enough to get their tongues wagging.  So to speak.  Being young, beautiful and liberated in sixties Hollywood probably meant that she had ample opportunity to experiment, but in this internet age of no secrets, even for stars of the past, I think there would be a lot more out there than just vague innuendo by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

entguy1

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks, Matt. I do remember the affair with the director, maybe an E! True Hollywood Story or somesuch.

Just thought it was interesting how many out/outed performers were in that cast: Paul Lynde (which brings this right back to topic), Dick "Darren v2.0" Sargent and, if rumors were correct, Agnes Moorehead. At least.

BillCullen1

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'255486\' date=\'Jan 24 2011, 09:38 AM\']Thanks, Matt. I do remember the affair with the director, maybe an E! True Hollywood Story or somesuch.

Just thought it was interesting how many out/outed performers were in that cast: Paul Lynde (which brings this right back to topic), Dick "Darren v2.0" Sargent and, if rumors were correct, Agnes Moorehead. At least.[/quote]

Throw in Alice Ghostley (Esmerelda). I heard rumors about her being a "friend of Dorothy" as well.