Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Jeopardy! question  (Read 1802 times)

GrandGame1440

Final Jeopardy! question
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
Is there anything in the rules of Jeopardy! that stipulate what would occur all three contestants were somehow in the hole at the conclusion of Double Jeopardy!?  I realize the easy answer is nobody wins, but that would leave them with about four or five minutes with nothing but dead air.  Anyone in the know on what would happen?  

/My grandma told Trebek would have to tap-dance to "Tea for Two" but I told her that would be too obvious.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:18:12 PM by Matt Ottinger »

Matt Ottinger

Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'255554\' date=\'Jan 25 2011, 03:03 PM\']Is there anything in the rules of Jeopardy! that stipulate what would occur all three contestants were somehow in the hole at the conclusion of Double Jeopardy!?  I realize the easy answer is nobody wins, but that would leave them with about four or five minutes with nothing but dead air.  Anyone in the know on what would happen?  

/My grandma told Trebek would have to tap-dance to "Tea for Two" but I told her that would be too obvious.[/quote]
Some people on Sony's Jeopardy board insist that this actually happened once back in the Art Fleming network days, and that they filled the Final Jeopardy time chatting with the players.  Back then it was a little easier to go negative, because you could signal before the clue had been read, essentially gambling that you'd know the correct response when the time came.  In the current version you can't do that, so there are fewer incorrect responses.  The odds are infinitessimal, and I imagine only the producers know for sure -- if they've even considered it -- what they would do.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »
I would be shocked beyond words if the producers have never considered the possibility. I think we've heard stories of start-up shows not anticipating every possibility, but "Jeopardy!"?

(My guess is that it involves some of those Clue Crew montages you see in the weekend episodes followed by really long credits. If you factor in that Alex will take a little longer before the commercial to remark on the historic outcome, it's only about two extra minutes to fill.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »
If there was ever a situation where three people were all playing the game that poorly deep into Double Jeopardy!, wouldn't Alex say "hey, guys, less than a minute to go, buck up!"
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
And that would have an effect?

Neumms

Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'255554\' date=\'Jan 25 2011, 03:03 PM\']My grandma told Trebek would have to tap-dance to "Tea for Two" but I told her that would be too obvious.[/quote]

That would be pretty funny, though. Alex is a pro. He could vamp that long and make it a classic moment.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Final Jeopardy! question
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'255588\' date=\'Jan 25 2011, 08:48 PM\']If you factor in that Alex will take a little longer before the commercial to remark on the historic outcome, it's only about two extra minutes to fill.[/quote]

"Harry, is this the first time this has ever happened?"
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)