Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rhyme & Reason  (Read 2516 times)

pyrfan

Rhyme & Reason
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »
For those who remember it, a few questions about "Rhyme & Reason":

1. Did games straddle day to day, or were they self-contained?

2. Was Nipsey Russell called on for the bonus game as much as Richard Dawson was on "Match Game"? If so, how did he usually fare?

3. Was there another pilot taped besides the one floating on the circuit? At the beginning of that one, they show a clip with a different panel, though it's hard to make anyone out except Nipsey.

Brendan

Jay Temple

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
I think it straddled. The only thing I can tell you with any kind of certainty is that a match consisted of two games, so the matches almost certainly straddled.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Eric Paddon

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
I could make out Charlie Brill in that clip showing a different panel.

The audio recording of the last episode reveals straddled play since it starts at the bonus round.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'255333\' date=\'Jan 22 2011, 05:10 PM\']At the beginning of that one, they show a clip with a different panel, though it's hard to make anyone out except Nipsey.[/quote]

Left to right in that clip, it's Mitzi McCall, Nipsey, Jaye P. Morgan, Jack Cassidy, Adrienne Barbeau and Charlie Brill.

-Jason
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:08:22 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
On question 2, Nipsey was the only one I ever saw play the bonus. Since the star had to come up with rhymes quickly, on the spot with no help from other stars, you'd have to have been cracked to pick someone else.

Eric Paddon

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
They had no choice the last week since Nipsey was out sick.     In the final episode, Terry Carter (then of McCloud, later of Battlestar Galactica) got picked for the bonus both times.

TheGameShowGuy

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
Rhyme and Reason always straddled - even mid game. I remember a player down one game to zip and losing the second game 2-0 on a Friday episode. By then I knew most game shows were taped 5 a day but this guy had to return (I thought) to lose on the next show. I only had a chance to watch R&R my freshman year in high school on Fridays. Guess what, on the following Friday, the guy was becoming an undefeated champ. You never know. BUT YES, R&R straddled.

I watched it often- when home from school- and I don't recall Nipsey's selection to be as prolific as Richard's on MG. Many other stars were picked for the bonus game- the worst player of which was Marty Allen, who I remember totally blowing the bonus game.

BillCullen1

Rhyme & Reason
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'255513\' date=\'Jan 24 2011, 09:40 PM\']I watched it often- when home from school- and I don't recall Nipsey's selection to be as prolific as Richard's on MG. Many other stars were picked for the bonus game- the worst player of which was Marty Allen, who I remember totally blowing the bonus game.[/quote]

You didn't want George Hamilton or Pat Harrington for the bonus round either. Nipsey was called on a good number of times for the bonus. Towards the middle of the show's run, they made it easier for the celebs by having Bob Eubanks read the bonus round rhyme out loud. He didn't do that previously. So whoever was picked at least had a little time to think.

I saw R&R in person when I was out in LA in 1975. Pat Harrington, Adrienne Barbeau, Jaye P. and Nipsey were there that day. R&R and Showoffs were taped in the same studio, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:34:49 PM by BillCullen1 »