Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheating on game shows (big time)  (Read 7007 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Cheating on game shows (big time)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 02:32:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:24 PM\'] Over Thanksgiving, I was watching Let's Make A Deal with my parents. They were doing the big deal. Flippantly, I said out loud, "I wonder if anybody has ever run up and looked behind the curtains." It actually got me wondering. In the 32 years TPIR has been on the air, has anyone ever looked under a shell on The Shell Game, pushed the reveal button on Double Prices, etc. What would the host say? What would happen to the contestant? And how would they edit something like this? This topic may seem frivolous to some. But, I am not a troll. I just think it would be amusing if anyone ever did this and really funny to see the look on the host's face.
Justin [/quote]
 Cheating happened all the time on Love Connection.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

curtking

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 02:40:27 PM »
I was on Jeopardy back in 1986.  As you are all aware, the podiums contain small video screens on which players write their names and FJ answers.

During the commercial break between DJ and FJ, the contestant coordinators came out and walked the players through placing their wagers for FJ, which were written on the bottom half of the video screen.  After writing your wager, the coordinator placed a small piece of hard plastic over the bottom half of the screen, covering the wager.  (You're supposed to write your response on the top half of the screen, just above the plastic cover.)

Directly above the small video screen was a button.  I asked one of the coordinators what the button did -- he told me that it erased all writing on the video screen.

I've always wondered what would happen if the player, not knowing the correct response to the FJ answer, were to hit the "erase" button.

Of course the staff has a record of the player's wager, and I don't suspect that they would disqualify the player since a full episode would have been taped by that point.

My FJ was a Great Lakes question, asking for 2 of the 5, but by process of elimination, I needed to select 2 out of 3.

I still missed it, but was far out of the running by that time, anyway.

scully24

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 04:34:58 PM »
How did they cheat on Love Connection?

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 05:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 04:34 PM\'] How did they cheat on Love Connection? [/quote]
I think he meant the "other" kind of cheating...I assume Don means the fact that someone is going out on more than one date or something like that? I could be wrong.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 07:36:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 02:21 PM\'] I must admit to a time I was tempted to cheat on one of GSN's Interactive originals, and hopefully, you people won't think any less of me, since I did make the right decision in the end.  I was watching the first airing of Whammy! one night, and I wrote down all of the info, when someone would Whammy, the right answers, etc.  I was going to use that info for the rerun later that night.  Just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Unfair disadvantage there, so I figured the hell with it. [/quote]
 I'm certain others have done that, John, or perhaps memorized these things from the three other times the show was rerun this year.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 05:06:28 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 05:36 PM\'] I'm certain others have done that, John, or perhaps memorized these things from the three other times the show was rerun this year. [/quote]
 Has it, in fact, been rerun exactly three times this year?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 08:33:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:06 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 05:36 PM\'] I'm certain others have done that, John, or perhaps memorized these things from the three other times the show was rerun this year. [/quote]
Has it, in fact, been rerun exactly three times this year? [/quote]
 On the daily run it's three times rerun. WHen you add the double airings and weekend airings, that would increase it.

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 08:37:13 AM »
I"m not sure this would be construed as cheating, but back in the long-missed days of the Millionaire phone game, I would call more than the one time per day. I would use a "dummy" birthdate of 1900 or 1901(figuring no one who was 100 years old, save Jason Block's grandma maybe, would have the guts to try out for the show). It allowed me to hear a great deal of questions, if I answered all three questions, I hung up.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 06:37 AM\'] I"m not sure this would be construed as cheating, but back in the long-missed days of the Millionaire phone game, I would call more than the one time per day. I would use a "dummy" birthdate of 1900 or 1901(figuring no one who was 100 years old, save Jason Block's grandma maybe, would have the guts to try out for the show). It allowed me to hear a great deal of questions, if I answered all three questions, I hung up. [/quote]
 Yeah, I'd call that cheating.

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2003, 02:43:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 02:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 06:37 AM\'] I"m not sure this would be construed as cheating, but back in the long-missed days of the Millionaire phone game, I would call more than the one time per day. I would use a "dummy" birthdate of 1900 or 1901(figuring no one who was 100 years old, save Jason Block's grandma maybe, would have the guts to try out for the show). It allowed me to hear a great deal of questions, if I answered all three questions, I hung up. [/quote]
Yeah, I'd call that cheating. [/quote]
 WIth all due respect, looking at a map of the world to answer geography-based questions while playing the phone qualifying game, which some admitted to doing, is just as much cheating, though you'd never get caught doing it.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 03:06:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 12:43 PM\']
Yeah, I'd call that cheating.
WIth all due respect, looking at a map of the world to answer geography-based questions while playing the phone qualifying game, which some admitted to doing, is just as much cheating, though you'd never get caught doing it. [/quote]
 Oh, I can think of a few things with regard to that phone game that I would consider cheating, or at least a morally questionable action. Just because some are more reprehensible than others doesn't make ANY of them right.