Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Very temporary themes  (Read 6113 times)

Clay Zambo

Very temporary themes
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'256011\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 09:58 PM\']No cats were harmed in the production of said theme...just an old joke from the atgs days.[/quote]

I didn't remember the joke (but neither did I think anybody wanted to puree Boots and Fluffy).  Thanks, though.
czambo@mac.com

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Very temporary themes
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'255989\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 06:17 PM\']Here's one of the alternate theme Joker's Wild opens (Tiller warning). Try not to snicker too much as Jack ad-libs.

-Jason[/quote]

[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'255967\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 12:37 PM\']I didn't think [TJW's theme] was so much "vastly different" as an odd remix...but hell, what do I know?  I haven't heard it in over a decade.[/quote]

Here's a rundown of all the Joker themes I know of:

*The Savers
*Joker's Jive, Alan Thicke's shameless attempt at a Savers soundalike
*Hal Hidey's reorchestration of The Savers
*This, which I believe is also a Hidey composition. (Do either of these latter two have a name? I've heard both called the "Whistle Theme".)
*And of course, the BtB'76 theme on the $1,000,000 tournament.

And now we have the odd theme that shows up in the intro Jason linked to. It sounds sort of like a "second movement" to The Savers — the instrumentation's the same, but the melody is different.

Getting back to the original topic, I know Wheel sometimes brought in marching bands for college week and had the bands play the commercial bumpers. In 1996, they also played the opening theme, as heard here. I find this one interesting because it follows the older "Changing Keys" melody, not the more "stretched out" melody of the 1994 remix.
Bobby Peacock

rjaguar3

Very temporary themes
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
I know that Sports Challenge used a different theme for one season*, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  Would anyone happen to know any information about that theme?

*It's the theme that goes E-E-F#-A-B---E-E-F#-A-B-A-F#-C#-B-E-E-F#-A-B----A-F#-A-A-A, and so on, for those for whom this transcription may help.

BrandonFG

Very temporary themes
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'256057\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 12:50 PM\']I know that Sports Challenge used a different theme for one season*, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  Would anyone happen to know any information about that theme?

*It's the theme that goes E-E-F#-A-B---E-E-F#-A-B-A-F#-C#-B-E-E-F#-A-B----A-F#-A-A-A, and so on, for those for whom this transcription may help.[/quote]
It had a synthesized feel to it and had a faster tempo, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I'd say it was used in the later seasons, maybe the next-to-last?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chrisholland03

Very temporary themes
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'256028\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 10:05 PM\'][quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'256011\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 09:58 PM\']No cats were harmed in the production of said theme...just an old joke from the atgs days.[/quote]

I didn't remember the joke (but neither did I think anybody wanted to puree Boots and Fluffy).  Thanks, though.
[/quote]

I'm sure I could use wayback, but I honestly don't remember who was around in '94-'95.  Plus it was one of those weird pieces of minutia that was rattling around in my empty head.

Offshored2007

Very temporary themes
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'256060\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 01:05 PM\'][quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'256057\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 12:50 PM\']I know that Sports Challenge used a different theme for one season*, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  Would anyone happen to know any information about that theme?

*It's the theme that goes E-E-F#-A-B---E-E-F#-A-B-A-F#-C#-B-E-E-F#-A-B----A-F#-A-A-A, and so on, for those for whom this transcription may help.[/quote]
It had a synthesized feel to it and had a faster tempo, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I'd say it was used in the later seasons, maybe the next-to-last?
[/quote]
It was used in the next-to-last season and I have never seen it available anywhere on the web (it is bouncing around in my head).
They went back to the original "Get Back" theme in the final season by Patrick Williams.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Very temporary themes
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'256060\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 12:05 PM\'][quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'256057\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 12:50 PM\']I know that Sports Challenge used a different theme for one season*, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  Would anyone happen to know any information about that theme?

[/quote]

I believe you're right. For the not-so-musically-inclined, here's a credit roll from one of those shows, with the theme in the clear. Gets pretty wild near the end!

Re. the TJW theme, I can't help but think that too was a Perrey & Kingsley composition.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:39:41 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

mmb5

Very temporary themes
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'256055\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 10:21 AM\']*Joker's Jive, Alan Thicke's shameless attempt at a Savers soundalike[/quote]

Not shameless, it was likely his job to make sound-alike themes.  He did that here, he did it with Blank Check, he did it with Wheel of Fortune and even Diamond Head and Wizard of Odds are similar to each other.  There's also a pilot that I can't remember right now that he rips off Gospel John by Maynard Ferguson.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Very temporary themes
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'256074\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 03:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'256055\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 10:21 AM\']*Joker's Jive, Alan Thicke's shameless attempt at a Savers soundalike[/quote]

Not shameless, it was likely his job to make sound-alike themes.  He did that here, he did it with Blank Check, he did it with Wheel of Fortune and even Diamond Head and Wizard of Odds are similar to each other.  There's also a pilot that I can't remember right now that he rips off Gospel John by Maynard Ferguson.
[/quote]

So he was the Jimmy Hart of game show theme composers.
Bobby Peacock

That Don Guy

Very temporary themes
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »
I can think of three shows that changed themes, although I don't know if these qualify as "very temporary":

'60s Match Game;

Celebrity Sweepstakes, although it switched back to its original theme for the end of its run;

'70s Sale of the Century, when it switched from the three-player to the two-couple format.

(Plus, of course, some of the old GSN B&W classics, like Password, WML, and IGAS, but I assume these go without saying.)

-- Don

BrandonFG

Very temporary themes
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 03:36:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'256072\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 02:37 PM\']I believe you're right. For the not-so-musically-inclined, here's a credit roll from one of those shows, with the theme in the clear. Gets pretty wild near the end![/quote]
Yep...that's the one I had in mind. Brassier than I remembered...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Very temporary themes
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
IGAS had several themes during its New York run, then another in L.A.

Bob Stewart's Pyramid had Bob Cobert's rejiggered theme during its L.A. run.

Offshored2007

Very temporary themes
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'256125\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 03:36 AM\'][quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'256072\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 02:37 PM\']I believe you're right. For the not-so-musically-inclined, here's a credit roll from one of those shows, with the theme in the clear. Gets pretty wild near the end![/quote]
Yep...that's the one I had in mind. Brassier than I remembered...
[/quote]
The beginning part is missing from the credit roll, but it is as much of the theme as I have ever heard in the clear. I recall asking Terry over at TVPMM about this "temporary" version of the "Sports Challenge" theme being available.  He has the original "Get Back" in the vault.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Very temporary themes
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'256131\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 09:05 AM\']Bob Stewart's Pyramid had Bob Cobert's rejiggered theme during its L.A. run.[/quote]
Except the '80s Pyramid theme was by no means temporary (or were you thinking only of themes that rip off other themes?).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

SuperMatch93

Very temporary themes
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'256113\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 10:30 PM\']'70s Sale of the Century, when it switched from the three-player to the two-couple format.

-- Don[/quote]

What was the original? (the non-british one)
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983