Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scoring Jeopardy! at home  (Read 1175 times)

Bryce L.

Scoring Jeopardy! at home
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
I seem to remember seeing somewhere (I forget where) that someone had devised a scoring system for J!, for keeping track of how well you (the home viewer) are doing against the three in-studio contestants, money-wise. Could anyone please explain how that would work? Thanks in advance.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Bryce L.\' post=\'256128\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 08:55 AM\']I seem to remember seeing somewhere (I forget where) that someone had devised a scoring system for J!, for keeping track of how well you (the home viewer) are doing against the three in-studio contestants, money-wise. Could anyone please explain how that would work? Thanks in advance.[/quote]
You might be thinking about something that the fans call your Coryat score.  It was originally designed by a former player to show how players handled the material in a way that their scores might not reflect, mostly by taking away the wagering factor.  The higher your 'Coryat' the better you did on the straight Q&A, even if some unfortunate Daily Doubles or a tricky Final sent your score plummeting.  

Some regular viewers will calculate their own Coryat based on answering the questions at home.  For a decent player, your at-home Coryat will usually be higher than those of an actual contestant, because you're not fighting to buzz in against other contestants.  It's not really an accurate way of comparing yourself to that day's contestants because it doesn't take into account any number of factors, but it's probably what you heard about.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »
I believe that would be it. Thank you.