Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Richard Kline Pyramid contestant?  (Read 3010 times)

chrispw1

Richard Kline Pyramid contestant?
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
I stumbled into Richard Kline's wikepedia page and it said that in 1974 he won $10,000 as a contestant on the $10,000 Pyramid. I hadn't heard about this before, I knew of Constance McCashin and David Graf but had never heard about him. I know wikepedia isn't always accurate, but does anyone recall him apperaing as a contestant and if so who the celeberity palyer were?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kline

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:55 AM »
[quote name=\'chrispw1\' post=\'256076\' date=\'Jan 31 2011, 03:45 PM\']I stumbled into Richard Kline's wikepedia page and it said that in 1974 he won $10,000 as a contestant on the $10,000 Pyramid. I hadn't heard about this before, I knew of Constance McCashin and David Graf but had never heard about him. I know wikepedia isn't always accurate, but does anyone recall him apperaing as a contestant and if so who the celeberity palyer were?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kline[/quote]
He mentioned on an 80s daytime episode that he won with Steve Allen. Coincidentally Constance was his celebrity opponent, and she said that she won about $2,350.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jay Temple

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
Just to clarify: Richard Kline and Constance McCashin appeared together in 1983. Richard's win occurred in 1974, in Steve Allen's only appearance. Constance's appearance was on the Cullen 25 with Edward Asner. (Through no fault of fostergray's, I thought he was saying that Richard had played against Constance as a civilian.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
I would bet that having two celebrities paired up who had both been civilian contestants wasn't a coincidence at all.  One of my favorite non-game moments on the series is when Patty Duke and David Graf were the celebrities, and they surprised Patty with a clip of one of her wins, clearing the board with her civilian playing partner David Graf.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Pardon the hijack, but I don't think this warrants a separate thread. Is Robert Wuhl the only celeb we know of who won $10K or more and didn't come back as a celeb? (Marc Cherry, creator of Desperate Housewives, had a win on a $100K marathon a couple years back, but I don't count him as a celebrity.)

pyrfan

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:49:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'256155\' date=\'Feb 1 2011, 04:53 PM\']Pardon the hijack, but I don't think this warrants a separate thread. Is Robert Wuhl the only celeb we know of who won $10K or more and didn't come back as a celeb? (Marc Cherry, creator of Desperate Housewives, had a win on a $100K marathon a couple years back, but I don't count him as a celebrity.)[/quote]
One who springs to mind is "Freaks and Geeks" creator Paul Feig, who won $25K with Lois Nettleton in 1986.

Just for the record, I consider Marc Cherry to be more of a celebrity than many of the guests who appeared on Donny Osmond's version.

Brendan

Jay Temple

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
That's an interesting fact on its own, and it also invites a discussion of who a celebrity is. I place the bar quite a bit higher for those people whose celebrity is based primarily on name recognition (usually the creative folk) than for people whose celebrity is based on appearance (actors, comedians, singers).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'256196\' date=\'Feb 2 2011, 11:34 AM\']That's an interesting fact on its own, and it also invites a discussion of who a celebrity is. I place the bar quite a bit higher for those people whose celebrity is based primarily on name recognition (usually the creative folk) than for people whose celebrity is based on appearance (actors, comedians, singers).[/quote]
Not that it's a problem either way, but I don't think you're setting the bar high at all.  Words Have Meanings and all that.  Marc Cherry and Paul Fieg are famous, at least in their chosen field of endeavor, but I wouldn't consider either one of them celebrities.  Cherry is definitely more famous than plenty of the Osmond Pyramid crowd, so in that sense I definitely agree with Brendan.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bob Zager

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
I'd also heard that Joel Brooks played as a civilian contestant, teamed with Lucie Arnaz; and years later, they appeared as the two celebrity players for a week!