Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165736 times)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
Norm,

Here's a question that came to me over the weekend.  Were there any changes in the studio's colors when you officially went from Black & White to Color telecasts?  I know that some TV shows used some odd colors in their sets, because they would show up better in B&W.
The color that predominated most newly=colorized programs was light blue.  Actually, this was the most popular during the black and white period as well.  Men were asked to wear blue shirts and stay away from white shirts.  It burned into the image orthicon tube -- and left a ghost image in subsequent shots.  Red was the most difficult to shoot -- it would bleed into the picture, causing irregular edges to all objects.  Medium green was perfect for chroma key shots (like weather men and women on one camera and superimposed against shots of snow covered streets and maps on another camera).  Our biggest transitional problem was sponsor's products.  Color experts provided alternative colors to make a product look the way it was supposed to look.  Example:  The red on a Campbell soup can (shot as is) looked like a different color and as I said, bled and had an irregalar shape.  In most cases products had to be color corrected to look legitimate.  Of course, that was in the early stages, it improved with age.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:43:27 AM by normb »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Concentration
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Example:  The red on a Campbell soup can (shot as is) looked like a different color and as I said, bled and had an irregalar shape.  In most cases products had to be color corrected to look legitimate.  Of course, that was in the early stages, it improved with age.
Wait, I think this is fascinating. So you're saying that a sponsor would provide an alternately-colored product package specifically for being shot on television? I'll be damned.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
I've read through all 26 pages of these posts.  This was beyond being a real treat!

I have very vague memories of Concentration from the early 1970s, as I was born in 1966.  My parents were fans of game shows, and I used to have all the home versions of various games, especially "Concentration".  On nights when I could not sleep, or was up sick, my mother would endure hours of me "hosting" my Concentration board game.  I felt today was most appropriate to add to this post as today would have been her 75th birthday.

I miss the coziness and the allure of the simpler games, the simpler sets.  Everything is so sanitized now, and much too glitzy.  There's a certain charm to the 1958-73 Concentration, as well as the Narz syndicated version, but nothing beats the original.

Thank you Mr. B. for sharing so much of what went on "behind the scenes".  It's quite fascinating to a game show nerd such as myself!

Kindest regards,
Bill

normb

Concentration
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
I've read through all 26 pages of these posts.  This was beyond being a real treat!

I have very vague memories of Concentration from the early 1970s, as I was born in 1966.  My parents were fans of game shows, and I used to have all the home versions of various games, especially "Concentration".  On nights when I could not sleep, or was up sick, my mother would endure hours of me "hosting" my Concentration board game.  I felt today was most appropriate to add to this post as today would have been her 75th birthday.

I miss the coziness and the allure of the simpler games, the simpler sets.  Everything is so sanitized now, and much too glitzy.  There's a certain charm to the 1958-73 Concentration, as well as the Narz syndicated version, but nothing beats the original.

Thank you Mr. B. for sharing so much of what went on "behind the scenes".  It's quite fascinating to a game show nerd such as myself!

Kindest regards,
Bill
Thank you, Bill, for the very kind words.  Even though many years have past, it still makes someone like me, feel it was something to be proud of. Especially when the sincerity seems real, which I'm sure it is, and is inherited from a mother like you obviously had.  Keep remembering her and thanking her for making you the man you are.

Adam Nedeff

Concentration
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2011, 02:58:42 AM »
I have a question for Mr. Blumenthal. I watched an interview with Bob Barker recently where he mentions that when he broke into the TV business, the term "game show" wasn't in common usage; they were referred to as "audience participation shows." He goes onto say that the first time he ever heard anybody use the term "game show," it was YOU referring to "Concentration." Dare I ask, did you coin the term "game show" or was it in use already?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2011, 05:11:24 AM »
Barker is full of it. They were generally called quiz shows. Have you ever heard of the "Audience Participation Scandal" of the '50s? No, I didn't think you did.

Occasionally some shows were referred to as panel shows.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:15:23 AM by chris319 »

normb

Concentration
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »
I have a question for Mr. Blumenthal. I watched an interview with Bob Barker recently where he mentions that when he broke into the TV business, the term "game show" wasn't in common usage; they were referred to as "audience participation shows." He goes onto say that the first time he ever heard anybody use the term "game show," it was YOU referring to "Concentration." Dare I ask, did you coin the term "game show" or was it in use already?
Nope, I did not coin that term.  The most common descriptive category for all types of "giveaway shows" of that era (another old moniker for those shows) dates way back to radio.  Whether it involved answering questions, identifying songs or any other test of knowledge. it was categorized as a "quiz."  Shows like "Candid Microphone," "The Amateur Hour," etc. were called "audience participation shows." In general, game shows required video.  When the transistion was made to TV, "quiz show" was automatically used to ID these shows. When the quiz show scandal exploded, that word became associated with dishonesty. None of us, included Bob Barker wanted our shows associated with crime. During his interviews, it was logical to use my show, "Concentration" and other non-quizes as examples of "game shows."  I go into deeper detail in my book about how all of us, including honest quiz shows, like "Jeopardy!" preferred to be called, "game shows."

normb

Concentration
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »
Barker is full of it. They were generally called quiz shows. Have you ever heard of the "Audience Participation Scandal" of the '50s? No, I didn't think you did.

Occasionally some shows were referred to as panel shows.
Chris -- don't come down so hard on Bob Barker.  He, along with the rest of us "innocent bystanders," were merely trying to prevent guilt by association.  Our careers were on the line. His "Truth or Consequences" hit the daytime schedule in 1956, mine, "Concentration" in 1958 -- a very scary time to be associated with giveaway shows.  We worked hard at changing our classification from that evil word, "quiz".

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
"Audience participation" as a descriptive term really doesn't make a lot of sense for the vast majority of game shows in which the audience doesn't participate.  However, Barker's career is based on two programs for which that description is perfectly apt.  In his mind, that's what these shows are because that's what HIS shows were.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
Of course "Audience participation" could also refer to the home audience participating and playing along, one reason why shows like "Family Feud", "Wheel of Fortune", "The Price is Right" and "Jeopardy!" have had such successful runs.  

I remember listening to a Bob Stewart interview on youtube recently, and he said one of the key components for a successful game show is to get the home audience talking or yelling at the TV set.

Incidentally, Mr. Blumenthal, thank you for the very kind reply and words.  I was most humbled by them!  I was curious if you ever met or interacted in any way with other game show producers such as Bob Stewart, Stefan Hatos & Monty Hall, Merrill Heatter & Bob Quigley, or Merv Griffin, and if so, in what capacity did you interact with them, and what was your general opinion about them?

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
I thought I'd post a link here for all loyal fans of Concentration (as well as you, Norm), to an illustration of a rare add-on set of rebus puzzle "refills," Milton Bradley released for use with the home game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/14357/concentration-game-refills

What amazes me is that they were printed in booklets, not on scrolls!

BTW, you'll also notice it was posted at that site by fellow board member Alfonzo Smith.  I apologize if this had already been discussed previously.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
Of course "Audience participation" could also refer to the home audience participating and playing along, one reason why shows like "Family Feud", "Wheel of Fortune", "The Price is Right" and "Jeopardy!" have had such successful runs.  

I remember listening to a Bob Stewart interview on youtube recently, and he said one of the key components for a successful game show is to get the home audience talking or yelling at the TV set.

Incidentally, Mr. Blumenthal, thank you for the very kind reply and words.  I was most humbled by them!  I was curious if you ever met or interacted in any way with other game show producers such as Bob Stewart, Stefan Hatos & Monty Hall, Merrill Heatter & Bob Quigley, or Merv Griffin, and if so, in what capacity did you interact with them, and what was your general opinion about them?
Your comments about audience participation are right on target. Couldn't agree with Bob Stewart more  -- that's what we strove for.  Whenever asked what I considered a good show, I said things like that and meant it.  Involvement is vital, even if its just trying to beat the on-air players.  Otherwise, its like watching a sporting event and merely cheering on the home team.  Most of us knew each other and often cross-plugged each other's shows. Of the group you mentioned, They were all charming, nice and very talented people, the one I liked best was Monty Hall.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:37 AM »
I thought I'd post a link here for all loyal fans of Concentration (as well as you, Norm), to an illustration of a rare add-on set of rebus puzzle "refills," Milton Bradley released for use with the home game:

BTW, you'll also notice it was posted at that site by fellow board member Alfonzo Smith.  I apologize if this had already been discussed previously.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »

Verrrrrry Interesting.  Looked it up and it was released in 1964 -- the middle of my reign on Concentration -- and I never saw it or plugged it on the air.  It did say, those puzzle refills were were from prior editions of the home games, plus a few new ones.  I did all the puzzles for the home game for the first 15 yrs and got paid for them all.  If they reran 120 of them I should have been paid residuals. Never did. Doubt if they'd pay me now -- that was almost 50 years ago.
Please don't take me seriously -- I never expected to be paid twice.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
Verrrrrry Interesting.  Looked it up and it was released in 1964 -- the middle of my reign on Concentration -- and I never saw it or plugged it on the air.

Actually, I do remember Hugh plugging the Refills on the show, at least three or four times.  Never did get any for myself, although I did put them on my birthday wish list.  If I remember correctly, neither my mom nor my grandmother could find them at any of the neighborhood stores.