Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165783 times)

TheLastResort

Concentration
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
Can anybody with a hard copy clarify whether or not there are pictures in the book (and why those pictures aren't present in the Kindle version)?

Yes, there are a few pages of black & white pictures.

Judging by the cover photo of Norm Blumenthal, the design of the wall in the background leads me to think that it is on the set of the nighttime version Concentration.  Are any of the pictures in the book from that version?

I'm not too familiar with the show's set, and the captions don't specify, so it's hard for me to say.  I can say none of the other pics have that wooden tile pattern behind Norm's head.

TwoInchQuad

Concentration
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
Here's a little something to stir Mr. Blumenthal's memory... I had some free time one evening, and came up with this tribute to his design of the original primetime color board design:

http://www.kinescopes.com/Concentration_50s.jpg

Thanks for your endless work, Mr. Blumenthal-- I started watching during the black & white Hugh Downs daytime era (about 1965), and your show was one that I never missed, if I could help it!

- Kevin Segura

normb

Concentration
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
Here's a little something to stir Mr. Blumenthal's memory... I had some free time one evening, and came up with this tribute to his design of the original primetime color board design:

http://www.kinescopes.com/Concentration_50s.jpg

Thanks for your endless work, Mr. Blumenthal-- I started watching during the black & white Hugh Downs daytime era (about 1965), and your show was one that I never missed, if I could help it!

- Kevin Segura
Thanks Kevin:
You throw me a curve -- can't figure out where that board shot came from.  It is dated, "The 50's" -- way before color. The 30 squares are perfectly lined up -- as in a graphic rendering.  They were not-- In order for the squares to turn, there were irregular spaces on all 4 sides of each. The fact that there were 30 --shows it was during the original show's run -- as you know, it was reduced to 25 on revival versions.  Finally, the typeface is not familiar.

TwoInchQuad

Concentration
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »

Thanks Kevin:
You throw me a curve -- can't figure out where that board shot came from.  It is dated, "The 50's" -- way before color. The 30 squares are perfectly lined up -- as in a graphic rendering.  They were not-- In order for the squares to turn, there were irregular spaces on all 4 sides of each. The fact that there were 30 --shows it was during the original show's run -- as you know, it was reduced to 25 on revival versions.  Finally, the typeface is not familiar.

Well, it is a bit of a cheat-- it was a computer graphic that I created which was based on **this** picture from the old color version:

http://www.kinescopes.com/concentration_61.jpg

...which was originally published in "TV Guide", I think.

And now that we have you here on the forum, I guess I should ask-- what **are** the proper typefaces to use for the trilons? (Are there different fonts for the square numbers and prize cards?)

And again, thanks very much for your years of work, and for agreeing to stop by here and answer a few questions...!

- Kevin

normb

Concentration
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
There was no specific typeface.  If the prize was a gag, I'd try using humorous letters.  For all other prizes, I chose not to use anything but a gothic typeface (no serifs -- like a Roman typeface -- that reduced the size and readability).  With limited space on each card and often long words that could not be abbreviated, like AIR CONDITIONER -- I had to use a condensed face.  In order for the studio audience to see it, aside from on one of the monitors -- I never used a letter that was smaller than 3 inches high.  At first, I tried to be true to the medium by used drawings instead of words -- prizes like a set of tires, a TV set, a diamond ring, etc. This didn't work -- how do you draw a trip, wall to wall carpeting, a micro-wave oven, etc.  Also, these renderings took much too long, and unlike the old expression: "Pictures speak louder than words" -- the words were easier to read.   Now, you've acquired a  little more trivia.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
At first, I tried to be true to the medium by used drawings instead of words -- prizes like a set of tires, a TV set, a diamond ring, etc. This didn't work -- how do you draw a trip, wall to wall carpeting, a micro-wave oven, etc.  Also, these renderings took much too long, and unlike the old expression: "Pictures speak louder than words" -- the words were easier to read.   Now, you've acquired a  little more trivia.
I'm guessing that at least partially explains why the home game prizes were drawings of the items.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
At first, I tried to be true to the medium by used drawings instead of words -- prizes like a set of tires, a TV set, a diamond ring, etc. This didn't work -- how do you draw a trip, wall to wall carpeting, a micro-wave oven, etc.  Also, these renderings took much too long, and unlike the old expression: "Pictures speak louder than words" -- the words were easier to read.   Now, you've acquired a  little more trivia.
I'm guessing that at least partially explains why the home game prizes were drawings of the items.
true -- as you probably know -- I created and drew all the rebus puzzles for all the original shows' home games.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
true -- as you probably know -- I created and drew all the rebus puzzles for all the original shows' home games.
Yes, you've been kind enough to share that fact with us.  As long as we're on that subject, did you deliberately make the home game puzzles easier than those on the TV show, knowing that the home game would be more popular with children?  It seems as far as the home versions go, you saved the really challenging stuff for the three paperback books from the early seventies
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 12:43:09 AM »
Yes, you've been kind enough to share that fact with us.  As long as we're on that subject, did you deliberately make the home game puzzles easier than those on the TV show, knowing that the home game would be more popular with children?  It seems as far as the home versions go, you saved the really challenging stuff for the three paperback books from the early seventies
Most definitely -- the Milton Bradley home game puzzles were easier.  Just like the on the air puzzle #3 on each day's show.
These were the most fifficult for me to make up.  Surprised?  I'll explain.  If we had enough time to start another puzzle, I purposely used the simplest one I could find.  Chances of it being solved in less time was more realistic.  Believe it or not, I used titles of fairy tales, the most popular singing groups, etc.  By the way, if that one was solved too quickly. I always had a fourth game ready.  In 15 years, we never started that fourth puzzle.  As I said earlier -- never once did one of my Concentration shows get edited because, earlier in the show,  I timed it incorrectly.  Yes. it is the producer's responsibility. I timed each one to get in as much game playing in as possible and thereby eliminate "end of show" stretches that are so unprofessional.  Who cares if the emcee or his assitant got a haircut that day? Long, crummy stretches like that show how untalented the producer is.  Even after tape was introduced, I timed each show very carefully and prodced it as if it wss live.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
The Internet Movie Database says that Audrey Meadows would stop production of The Honeymooners to watch Concentration. Can you verify this? Do you know of any celebrity fans of the show?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
The Internet Movie Database says that Audrey Meadows would stop production of The Honeymooners to watch Concentration. Can you verify this? Do you know of any celebrity fans of the show?

I don't know about that, but I do recall reading a story that Abby Dalton, who co-starred on The Joey Bishop Show at the time, requested such production breaks to watch Concentration!  Supposedly, Joey Bishop himself got hooked on watching the show!

normb

Concentration
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
I knew there were several famous people who were regular viewers. Too many to list.  In many cases, they sent us fan mail.  Here are a few of our most loyal.  Abby Dalton, co-star of "The Joey Bishop Show," demanded a TV set in her dressing room.  Patty, the first wife of Jerry Lewis was a daily viewer.  Lucille Ball, even though her daily show competed in the same time slot on CBS-TV. Our nation's First Lady, wife of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, Ladybird.

GMar

Concentration
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
Mr. B, just wanted to say thanks for all the years of Concentration. Growing up, I never missed an episode when I was home from school. I have two questions: What were the actual dimensions of the gameboard trilons? Also, I remember a time when there was a prize wheel that swooped down from behind the prize doors, but I don't recall the premise. Could you refresh my failing memory? Thanks!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »
Norm -

What were the dimensions of each card for the "trilons"? Was there more than one board which was being loaded while the other was being played?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:18:08 AM by chris319 »

GameShowGuru

Concentration
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

The only way this would be possible if IMDB is alluding to the 1966-70 colorized Honeymooners sketches that were part of the Jackie Gleason Show; the classic B&W Honeymooners went off the air before Concentration aired.