Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165749 times)

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »
The only way this would be possible if IMDB is alluding to the 1966-70 colorized Honeymooners sketches that were part of the Jackie Gleason Show; the classic B&W Honeymooners went off the air before Concentration aired.
Oops. True. Dumb question. I should have checked before posting.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

normb

Concentration
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
Mr. B, just wanted to say thanks for all the years of Concentration. Growing up, I never missed an episode when I was home from school. I have two questions: What were the actual dimensions of the gameboard trilons? Also, I remember a time when there was a prize wheel that swooped down from behind the prize doors, but I don't recall the premise. Could you refresh my failing memory? Thanks!
Each side of the 30 trilons was 9" (high) x 12" (wide). One for a number from 1 to 30; 1 for a prize description and the last for a portion of the rebus puzzle.

To add variety to our prizes, we scheduled an expensive weekly bonus giveaway.  THE WHEEL was one of them, alternating with THE ENVELOPE, SALUTES TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES, etc.  Hidden from daily view, the wheel remained in a horizontal position just above the back of the contestant entrance doors.  When won, those doors opened and it was released to a vertical position. Winner got one free spin and kept the amount of money the pointer revealed.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »
Norm -

What were the dimensions of each card for the "trilons"? Was there more than one board which was being loaded while the other was being played?
Look at the dimensions I gave.  The numbered part of each trilon remained permanently in place.  Behind each was a track to slide the other two sides of the trilon.  These were preloaded before each game with puzzle parts and prize descriptions. Backstage, there were 2 huge bins to store 4 puzzles (2 in each)needed for each show. When unlocked, each of the inside compartments contained enough shelves for all the puzzle/prize sliders.  Prior to air time, the board was loaded and ready for play. After that game was over, the board was emptied and the used sliders were placed back on to the empty shelves. The next puzzle was then loaded onto the game board.
To prevent improper loading, each space on those shelves had a giant number.  Remember,the stagehands were working backwards, so the puzzle would be seen forward by the players.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »
Here's something I've wondered about, and I hope it isn't too esoteric.  Naturally, the puzzle pieces had to very carefully be placed in the right slots, or else the rebus is ruined.  The prize cards, on the other hand, could go anywhere as long as you had all fifteen pairs on the board.  Did you specifically decide in each game where the prize cards would go, did you leave that to someone else, or was it completely random?  And whatever the answer, what was the thought process behind it?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheGameShowGuy

Concentration
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
I have been checking this thread daily and enjoy reading about one of the best game shows ever: "Concentration".
Thank you so much, Mr. Blumenthal. I was raised on that show and enjoyed both revivals. I know I stand with many on this board in wishing it would someday return.
I don't have any questions now, but wanted to say "thanks!" ... though I am curious about the "Concentration Contest" in a poster's picture link...I don't know if that question (asked by another poster) was answered. (I couldn't find an explanation.)
I also wanted to say that I am enjoying your new book VERY MUCH!  In 1975, I fully  enjoyed your "TV Game Show" book published back then...
I think I read it cover to cover then back again MANY times over the years! I'm sure it moved twice with me and is still somewhere in my home!
It served me well in many research papers in my  high school/ college years.

Ian Wallis

Concentration
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
The prize cards, on the other hand, could go anywhere as long as you had all fifteen pairs on the board. Did you specifically decide in each game where the prize cards would go, did you leave that to someone else, or was it completely random? And whatever the answer, what was the thought process behind it?

Very good question Matt.  I'd like to know more about that too.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
The prize cards, on the other hand, could go anywhere as long as you had all fifteen pairs on the board. Did you specifically decide in each game where the prize cards would go, did you leave that to someone else, or was it completely random? And whatever the answer, what was the thought process behind it?

Very good question Matt.  I'd like to know more about that too.

Norm covered this in a post on February 9th.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Norm covered this in a post on February 9th.
Indeed he did.  I don't know why I didn't catch it the first time.  Emphasis added:
I printed up a grid lined "plot sheet" for each puzzle. When I drew in the puzzle, I was very carefull with the placement of each element. Best example would be the number 16. In box 1, at the very bottom and right edge I put the numeral 1. With out next numbers revealed, it could be an L, a D, etc. in box 2, the top half of the 6, could be the top of a C. etc, Same thing with parts of picures. By revealing parts of them they could look like other things. This was all carefully planned. Same thing with the placement of prizes. Expensive prizes, forfeits and wild cards, that came up early in each game, revealed very little in the way of clues, etc. I had to do things like that to sustain a longer contest and more playing time to rack up prizes.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Here's something I've wondered about, and I hope it isn't too esoteric.  Naturally, the puzzle pieces had to very carefully be placed in the right slots, or else the rebus is ruined.  The prize cards, on the other hand, could go anywhere as long as you had all fifteen pairs on the board.  Did you specifically decide in each game where the prize cards would go, did you leave that to someone else, or was it completely random?  And whatever the answer, what was the thought process behind it?
For each program, I selected all the puzzles to be used.  I printed up lined 30 box grid sheets, which I called plot sheets. One was for a drawing of each puzzle with all parts in exactly the same position as they were on the big game board. Using that as a guide, I used a blank plot sheet for the position of all prizes. In this way, I prevented two important clues from coming up in one match. Experience had shown me knew which numbers would be called first, therfore easier to remember, just like what was in the four corners.  More often than not, I used the blanks for the forfiet one gift cards -- there were six of them.

Offshored2007

Concentration
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2011, 07:17:20 AM »
Norm, was the closing theme music (which I assume was done live on an organ or earlier on a xylophone)
ever recorded?  The TV Production Music Museum has the scores from the later versions of Concentration
but not the original.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
All music on the show was live and very often ad lib (like drum rolls, mysterious crescendos, etc.)  We had 2 musicians -- Milton Kaye (an extremely well-known classical pianist -- look him up) -- he played on a truly ancient organ -- that saw constant time on old radio soap operas  I got sick of that and, when they virst became popular -- Yamaha multi-sound organ.  We now how the  versatility of many instruments -- maybe that's why you think we had an exylophone,  Moe Goldenberg was our tympanist -- kettle drums, cymbals, chimes, etc.  I was most pleased with our middle break, audience pan music, "Puppet on a String".  I loved the mixture of all kinds of sound effects and the cutsie tune.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
Milton Kaye also had a celesta at his disposal which was used to play the opening that had turning trilons that spelled out "Concentration".

Wasn't Paul Taubman the original musical director?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:29:05 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:20 AM »
Because Norm brought it up:

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Oh, that's great.  It's another one of those "Wow, that had lyrics!" moments that I love so much.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »
Oh, that's great.  It's another one of those "Wow, that had lyrics!" moments that I love so much.
I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
If you say you love me madly, I'll gladly, be there
Like a puppet on a string

Love is just like a merry-go-round
With all the fun in the air
One day I'm feeling down on the ground
Then I'm up in the air
Are you leading me on?
Tomorrow will you be gone?

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
If you love me madly, I'll gladly, be there
Like a puppet on a string