Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165843 times)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
Has it ever been posted somewhere what the puzzle parts and revolving prize/wild/forfeit/take cards were made of?  Paper, card stock or thin wood?  I've wondered if the empty trilons were panes of non-reflective glass or Plexiglas, and if the 30 cards or sheets were slipped in between two sheets of glass or Plexiglas vertically or horizontally, or if they were hinged on one side and opened and shut with a small lock or latch securing each one?
Each of the trylons were made of stainless steel.  The 2-sided "V" contained tracks on top and  bottoms.  The cards, made of 3-ply illustration board, were slid forward on those tracks, until they ended at the "poin"-ending of that "v", which when slid forward onto the 5 vertical rods, to formed a perfect trylon, which were turned via small motors mounted "hollow" inside the space created by each trylon..

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »
In 2011 you might build the shelves out of Plexiglass.

Or you'd just design computer graphics and display them on a flat screen mounted sideways.  :)
That takes all the fun out of it :-(

You're right, that's how you would do it today if you were building a set for a TV show. I was talking about building a replica of the 1950s board.

It occurs to me that the prize sliders may have had a limited travel, just enough to reveal the prize without revealing the checkmark. There may have been a peg or something which could be removed to allow the prize slider to slide further and reveal the checkmark, without interfering with the effect of all the slats closing in unison.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:39:22 AM by chris319 »

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:31 AM »
How did the checkmarks work without interfering with the main prize sliders? The main prize slider would have to run behind the checkmarks yet be clear of the checkmarks in case they were needed.

Ahh, minutiae!

I wonder if the checkmarks might have been revealed by the very same slider as the prize in any given slot? When said slider was pulled to its normal limit, it revealed the prize.  In the fairly rare event that the player won two of the same prize, the slip could be pulled a few inches past its normal traverse, to reveal the checkmark.  Just my mind rattling on.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2011, 04:23:16 AM »
I wonder if the checkmarks might have been revealed by the very same slider as the prize in any given slot? When said slider was pulled to its normal limit, it revealed the prize. In the fairly rare event that the player won two of the same prize, the slip could be pulled a few inches past its normal traverse, to reveal the checkmark. Just my mind rattling on.
I think you're right (see above).

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »
One question I'd have for Norm is about Hugh Downs.  During the run of "Concentration", Mr. Downs was doing the "Tonight" show and later the "Today" Show.  How involved did he have to be in run-throughs, pre-show briefings and the like?  I would assume he would go from one studio to another on a daily basis with a minimum of down (Downs :) time.  When did Concentration go from live to tape?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
One question I'd have for Norm is about Hugh Downs.  During the run of "Concentration", Mr. Downs was doing the "Tonight" show and later the "Today" Show.  How involved did he have to be in run-throughs, pre-show briefings and the like?  I would assume he would go from one studio to another on a daily basis with a minimum of down (Downs :) time.  When did Concentration go from live to tape?
Hugh's routine permitted several hours between TODAY or TONIGHT and CONCENTRATION.  After a couple of years of basically the same format on CONCENTRATION, all I needed to brief him before each show was about 15 minutes. He generally arrived a half hour early, and took a quick nap in his dressing room, before my briefing took place.  I had a cot set up for him, and I can't recall even the tiniest on-air yawn from Mr. Downs.  

Video tape arrived at the networks in the late 1950's.  Most game shows started multiple tapings shortly thereafter. They quickly started taping 5 shows in one day.  I could not, because of Hugh's daily schedule of either production meetings or pre-taped bits for his other shows, TODAY or TONIGHT

NickS

Concentration
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
... We simply had to work as quickly as possible to switch them from player to player.

Y'all clearly had the fastest crew ever.

Norm:

First off, thank you for the time you're taking out to talk to us; it's been awesome to hear what had to be done back then to compare what we take for granted through CG now.

To build on Clay's question -- NBC had a "behind the scenes" special of SNL recently and I remember seeing how quick their stagehands were.  How big was the production crew at Concentration?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »
... We simply had to work as quickly as possible to switch them from player to player.

Y'all clearly had the fastest crew ever.

Norm:

First off, thank you for the time you're taking out to talk to us; it's been awesome to hear what had to be done back then to compare what we take for granted through CG now.

To build on Clay's question -- NBC had a "behind the scenes" special of SNL recently and I remember seeing how quick their stagehands were.  How big was the production crew at Concentration?
I was always astounded when I watched the credits of other game shows.  Especially at the Emmy awards -- each seemed to have a small army of people filling the stage.  You will be astounded at how few production people it took to put on Concentration -- remember NBC owned the show, most others were owned by Goodson-Todman, Monty Hall, Merv Griffin, etc.  Their "outside vendor" budgets often tripled ours.  My crew total was 12 production people, 2 musicians, an announcer and the emcee.  Take a look at the closing credits on any other show  and you'll be astounded.  Please understand, I am not including my studio crew -- director, stage managers,technical directors and their staff, stagehands, electricians, set designers, etc. In all we had about sixty people involved in the production of Concentration.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
Norm -

What can you tell us about the costs of producing Concentration over the years?

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
Mr. B. ... I've heard conflicting reports, over the years, as to the existence of tapes and/or kines of Concentration episodes.  I've seen a half-dozen shows recently, which have been on the trading circuit for some time.  Most folks figure that the tapes were erased, reused, or dumped.  But rumor has it that NBC has quite a stash somewhere.

What can you tell us about this?  Some of us are hungry for anything we can see of your show.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Norm -

What can you tell us about the costs of producing Concentration over the years?
Sorry, that's too complicated to explain in detail.  Mainly because we were owned by NBC and had to use their facilities, studios, tech and management personnel.  All I can say is that outside packagers paid more than we did.  On our first shows, back in 1958, our weekly budget (5 shows) was about $25,000. After a very short time, with all cost rising, our emcee made more than that for just 1 show.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Concentration
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
I have two questions:

1) We know the show was originally produced by Barry-Enright, but quickly sold to NBC. Do you remember how many weeks into the run it was? From watching the October 15, 1958 show (#38, viewable here), there are no mentions of B&E.

2) Do you have any memories of the 1958 nighttime version hosted by Jack Barry?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

normb

Concentration
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:59 PM »
Mr. B. ... I've heard conflicting reports, over the years, as to the existence of tapes and/or kines of Concentration episodes.  I've seen a half-dozen shows recently, which have been on the trading circuit for some time.  Most folks figure that the tapes were erased, reused, or dumped.  But rumor has it that NBC has quite a stash somewhere.

What can you tell us about this?  Some of us are hungry for anything we can see of your show.
I was there while this cruel act (and lack of foresight) was perpetrated by NBC.  True, the gigantic tape reels (about 20" round and 3"wide) were hard to store and extremely expensive.
The network set up a pattern, the shows would remain on the tapes for 60 to 90 days (for legal reasons -- in case a contestant wanted to sue us, or a sponsor complained about being short-changed).  At the end of this short life, the tape was erased and a new show taped over it. We were angry, but they ruled the roost. Perhaps a few are still being stored, I've heard that rumor too, but I doubt it.  In all fairness, gameshows were considered insignificant, by comparison to most prime time shows, they were cheap to produce and expensive to store.  No one expected them to become as popular as they have remained.  As I have said so many times:  "The large amount of money made on game shows, has always paid for the junk they serve us on prime time."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »
On our first shows, back in 1958, our weekly budget (5 shows) was about $25,000. After a very short time, with all cost rising, our emcee made more than that for just 1 show.
Really? I know what Allen Ludden made to do Password Plus in 1979 and 1980 (I saw his check). In 1979 he made $4,000 per week or $800 per show, and in 1980 he made $4,500 per week or $900 per show. Dick Martin made less than that to do Mindreaders, and Bob Barker and Richard Dawson made more for The Price Is Right and Family Feud. Please forgive my skepticism, but $25,000 for one show sounds awfully high.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »
Did you have anything to do with the Australian version? Did you ever see it? If so, do you have an opinion?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos