Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165756 times)

dale_grass

Concentration
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
god apparently doesn't what me to see concentration
Well, at this point in the game, I can't say I blame Him.
I had a similar experience in the 90s.  Every time I tried to watch Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman there would be a great swarm of locusts o'er the land and I'd lose reception.  But who was I to argue with His divine plan?

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Concentration
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
Bradhig,

For what it's worth, I didn't see Classic Concentration in first run either, only the reruns in the summer of 1993, (probably the only time Huntsville's WAFF carried the show).  So right there you see an example of someone else who has never seen the Concentration format in first run, and yet is much more well adjusted than you seem to be.

Everyone else, carry on ;)
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

bradhig

Concentration
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
Bradhig,

For what it's worth, I didn't see Classic Concentration in first run either, only the reruns in the summer of 1993, (probably the only time Huntsville's WAFF carried the show).  So right there you see an example of someone else who has never seen the Concentration format in first run, and yet is much more well adjusted than you seem to be.

Everyone else, carry on ;)

So I am not alone.  I am just angry I didn't get to see it.  I have several version of the home game three milton bradley versions and the pressman Classic Concentration version. I pefer the roll-a-matic versions and hope to collect all versions someday.  I also have the nes version of Classic Concentration.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Concentration
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »
I also have the nes version of Classic Concentration.
I'm sorry to hear that.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.
Aw, come on -- I like my copy of NES Classic Concentration. Maybe it's because I got it from the used video game store for about five bucks, and yes, the lack of variety in rebus icons knocks off points, but I've played and enjoyed that game many a time. You can't play one-player Concentration with the board games.

I love what they did with all of the music, too.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Concentration
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that.
Aw, come on -- I like my copy of NES Classic Concentration.
I'm not a big fan of the format they used--the 2-of-3 version the show used.  The games simply drag on and on...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
Mr. B.: Over the years, were there any ideas that you tried on the show, that you wished you hadn't?  How about vice-versa?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Mr. B.: Over the years, were there any ideas that you tried on the show, that you wished you hadn't?  How about vice-versa?
May sound untruthful, but I can't recall any that didn't work.  My primary rule was never stray from our unique format.  We were not a quiz show, a stunt show, a musical id or talent search. Most of all, I was persistently at odds with the network, who wanted more stress and valuable game playing time devoted to "live" and glitzy prizes.  I fought and WON by refusing to include most of their ideas. Here's one stupid one that never got on the air.  They wanted me to open my show with 13 can-can dancers, bending over backward and one by one, flipping up their skirts, thereby spelling out all the letters in the title, CONCENTRATION on their rear ends. Our ratings remained high because we kept our format from becoming a sad imitation of our competition.  I never tried adding gimmicks like a ridiculous million dollar giveaway that could never be awarded.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Back on the subject of surviving Concentration episodes ... Four years ago, a woman made a series of posts here, outlining her successful attempt at locating her dad's 1958 appearance.  She found one of his episodes via the Library of Congress, and had to pay NBC for the "personal use" rights to a DVD copy.

You'll find these posts if you search for Britgirl57.

Since NBC has dumped most (or all) of their tapes, I wonder how many episodes the LoC might have?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
Back on the subject of surviving Concentration episodes ... Four years ago, a woman made a series of posts here, outlining her successful attempt at locating her dad's 1958 appearance.  She found one of his episodes via the Library of Congress, and had to pay NBC for the "personal use" rights to a DVD copy.

You'll find these posts if you search for Britgirl57.

Since NBC has dumped most (or all) of their tapes, I wonder how many episodes the LoC might have?
Sorry, I have no idea of if and where old copies of Concentration reside.  I find that woman's story about finding a specific one almost impossible.  We went on in August of 1958, which was way before video tape. Kinescopes were available, but requiired special equipment unavaliable to the public. After three months we, the owners and producers could not find a single one.  As I've said, when we started using tape, the "brains" at NBC (and elsewhere) kept them for three months, then retaped new shows over them. Unlike sit-coms, our shows were never rerun.  They were inexpensive to produce and we tried to keep timely.  At that time no one dreamed they could be replayed in syndication. Occasionally, if we had a valid reason, we could order copies of certain shows prior to producing them.  But, we couldn't do this too often -- this was costly, no place to store them and no practical use for them. Some of those still exist. Personally, I think most have been found.  Yes, Library of Congress has some, how many of which ones, I have no idea.

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
I wouldn't say with certainty that LoC keeps everything.  A few years back there were some bundles of magazines being auctioned on ebay. By the address label you could see they were former LoC holdings.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
I wouldn't say with certainty that LoC keeps everything.  A few years back there were some bundles of magazines being auctioned on ebay. By the address label you could see they were former LoC holdings.
Interesting.  Thanks for that info -- I always assumed all that stuff was part of Americana, just like the Smithonian.  They retain things like Archie Bunker's chair, parts  of my (and other game shows) sets, etc. for posterity. Again, thanks for that info.

SFQuizKid

Concentration
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
Mr. Blumenthal--

I've enjoyed your book--it brought back a lot of memories.

You've mentioned some of the silly things the network wanted you to do to Concentration. During or after Concentration's run were you ever asked by the networks or another producer to create a new show borrowing concepts from Concentration?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Concentration
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
No books, no board games, not a single luxury?
Was that from the episode where they almost get off the island?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

Concentration
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
Norm,

Here's a question that came to me over the weekend.  Were there any changes in the studio's colors when you officially went from Black & White to Color telecasts?  I know that some TV shows used some odd colors in their sets, because they would show up better in B&W.