Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165748 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
Of course "Audience participation" could also refer to the home audience participating and playing along, one reason why shows like "Family Feud", "Wheel of Fortune", "The Price is Right" and "Jeopardy!" have had such successful runs.  

I remember listening to a Bob Stewart interview on youtube recently, and he said one of the key components for a successful game show is to get the home audience talking or yelling at the TV set.

Incidentally, Mr. Blumenthal, thank you for the very kind reply and words.  I was most humbled by them!  I was curious if you ever met or interacted in any way with other game show producers such as Bob Stewart, Stefan Hatos & Monty Hall, Merrill Heatter & Bob Quigley, or Merv Griffin, and if so, in what capacity did you interact with them, and what was your general opinion about them?
Your comments about audience participation are right on target. Couldn't agree with Bob Stewart more  -- that's what we strove for.  Whenever asked what I considered a good show, I said things like that and meant it.  Involvement is vital, even if its just trying to beat the on-air players.  Otherwise, its like watching a sporting event and merely cheering on the home team.  Most of us knew each other and often cross-plugged each other's shows. Of the group you mentioned, They were all charming, nice and very talented people, the one I liked best was Monty Hall.

That's neat!  Sounds like quite a fraternity back then.  How I wish I could have been a part of it.  My dream job is to host/produce game shows, but sadly in this day and age, that doesn't seem likely.  Monty Hall seems like a very classy guy, especially when listening to his story on youtube.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »
Verrrrrry Interesting.  Looked it up and it was released in 1964 -- the middle of my reign on Concentration -- and I never saw it or plugged it on the air.

Actually, I do remember Hugh plugging the Refills on the show, at least three or four times.  Never did get any for myself, although I did put them on my birthday wish list.  If I remember correctly, neither my mom nor my grandmother could find them at any of the neighborhood stores.
Doubtful.  I gave the plug cues to Hugh and don't recall ever seeing that product.  As I said, I would have been contacted by Milton Bradley for permission and possible royalty.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
Verrrrrry Interesting.  Looked it up and it was released in 1964 -- the middle of my reign on Concentration -- and I never saw it or plugged it on the air.

Actually, I do remember Hugh plugging the Refills on the show, at least three or four times.  Never did get any for myself, although I did put them on my birthday wish list.  If I remember correctly, neither my mom nor my grandmother could find them at any of the neighborhood stores.
Doubtful.  I gave the plug cues to Hugh and don't recall ever seeing that product.  As I said, I would have been contacted by Milton Bradley for permission and possible royalty.

Seriously, I remember it well.  Hugh held up the box of refills, along with the home game.

DjohnsonCB

Concentration
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »

I remember seeing them as well on the show, and we had trouble as well trying to find them in stores.  I suspected they were only available in selected stores on the east coast.  I finally got mine off eBay.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

normb

Concentration
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »

Seriously, I remember it well.  Hugh held up the box of refills, along with the home game.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
I give up.  Obviously, when two of you insist you saw Hugh holding up the refills on the show, you must be correct. One more comment, then we'll stop this discussion.  The copy I prepared for Hugh to kiss-off a losing contestant was, "You're not going away empty-handed, we're giving you a set of Samsonite luggage (or a Bulova watch) and a home Concentration game." (he held up the game and handed it to the losing player).  In no way, would I permit him to water the plug down by adding a small box of refills -- it would have been too chintzy. It would be like giving away the watch and an extra watchband.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
I think the term "audience participation" means that members of the viewing audience or studio audience, i.e. "civilians", participate in the show, usually as game players (they could also appear without playing games as on Queen For a Day). They are not hired actors or performers but are classified as amateurs. BTW the phrase "audience participation" is contained in the title of Roger Dobkowitz' master's thesis which documents the quiz scandal.

The then-commonly-used term "quiz show" gave way to "game show" for the reasons Norm gave, and as games not based on factual questions and answers came into vogue such as Concentration, Password, Video Village, The Match Game, etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:48:31 PM by chris319 »

normb

Concentration
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
Well said, Chris.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2011, 05:27:02 AM »

TimK2003

Concentration
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
OK, Norm, I've got a a question out of left field for you.  Despite the question, it IS game show related.

There was a novelty song in 1958 from a lady named Betty Johnson called "The Little Blue Man".  The voice of the title character was rumoured to be Hugh Downs.  Researching the internet, I've seen just as many claims stating it was indeed him as there are claims that it wasn't Mr. Downs.

Would you perhaps know for sure if it was him or not?

As a reference, here is the song: [media] [/media]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:13:21 PM by TimK2003 »

normb

Concentration
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:47 AM »
Sorry, I never heard of her, nor her song, "the Little Blue Man."  Couln't have been that big a hit. The few words spoken by the boy in the video, are definitely his own.  To my knowledge, Hugh knew and worked with the woman. This blurb appeared in the media in 1957,".... SHE WAS THEN HIRED BY JACK PAAR FOR HIS TV SHOW, "TONIGHT."  THIS LED TO A RECORD CONTRACT WITH ATLANTIC RECORDS IN 1958,FOR WHICH SHE HAD HER NEXT BIG HIT, "LITTLE BLUE MAN."  Hugh, was a regular on Paar's show at that time -- perhaps that's why the association.  But, Hugh was never a singer,and I could hear no other voice other than Ms. Johnson and the blue boy.
Also, at that time, Hugh and he was busy getting ready for his new show, CONCENTRATION.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
I've got one for you: How did you mark the rebus cards on the flip side, to assure that they'd be kept in the correct order? (This is a re-post, since I think it got lost in the shuffle a week or so ago.)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »
I've got one for you: How did you mark the rebus cards on the flip side, to assure that they'd be kept in the correct order? (This is a re-post, since I think it got lost in the shuffle a week or so ago.)
Not very dramatically, I'm afraid, just very cautiously.  When the entire 30 puzzles squares were packed in a cardboard carton, along with an 8x10 drawing of the entire puzzle, a large red grease crayon was used to number their reverse sides. Each of those cards, in numerical order cards were slid into the proper side of the trylon.  My associaite producer, checked the numbers (from right to left -- had to be that way from the back of the game board to appear correct on the front).  While on the air, when the next puzzle had to be loaded, once again, Associate producer had to make sure numbers were in the proper sequence.  In 15 years on the air, only one time did the board get loaded improperly.  None of us knew it until the clues started coming up making no sense.  I stopped the game, and to avoid embarrassment to the show, I presented each player with a $200 check -- and as usual, I cued the applause sign.  My associate producer was so upset, he quit the show.  That's the truth.  I would not accept his letter of resignation, and he stayed on, but finally left -- he could not take the ridicule from the stage crew.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2011, 04:03:09 AM »
What were the actual dimensions of the gameboard trilons?
Each side of the 30 trilons was 9" (high) x 12" (wide).

Last week, via eBay, I purchased a 1969 publicity photo featuring Hugh Downs and Bob Clayton, shaking hands in front of the board.  In non-specific units, the trilons measure four by 2-1/2.  So if -- as Mr. B. has stated -- they were 12 inches wide, then the height of each trilon would have been 7-1/2 inches.

(It's a great picture, by the way ... Thanks to the poster who gave us the heads-up on its availability!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:04:27 AM by geno57 »

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Last week, via eBay, I purchased a 1969 publicity photo featuring Hugh Downs and Bob Clayton, shaking hands in front of the board.  In non-specific units, the trilons measure four by 2-1/2.  So if -- as Mr. B. has stated -- they were 12 inches wide, then the height of each trilon would have been 7-1/2 inches.

(It's a great picture, by the way ... Thanks to the poster who gave us the heads-up on its availability!)

That poster was me (no big deal), and BTW, congrats on getting the photo!

I just found more publicity photos of Bob Clayton and of Hugh Downs on eBay.  (Note: There's lots of photos of Hugh Downs, but I'm only posting some from Concentration):

http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-Bob-Clayton-Game-Show-Host-Press-Photo-/250820744077?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3a6614d38d

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Orig-Photo-Bob-Clayton-Make-Face-/280587991179?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item415458f88b (from Make A Face)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Bob-Clayton-Host-Model-Paola-Diva-Press-Photo-/250820744434?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3a6614d4f2 (Bob and the beautiful Paola Diva)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBC-TV-promotional-photo-Hugh-Downs-Concentration-/110583174946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf455722 (A different podium than what we're used to)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hugh-Downs-Concentration-Game-Show-Host-Original-Photo-/230572666759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af33af87 (shown with the "Connie," award)