Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165740 times)

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
Sorry, I never heard of her, nor her song, "the Little Blue Man."  Couln't have been that big a hit. The few words spoken by the boy in the video, are definitely his own.  To my knowledge, Hugh knew and worked with the woman. This blurb appeared in the media in 1957,".... SHE WAS THEN HIRED BY JACK PAAR FOR HIS TV SHOW, "TONIGHT."  THIS LED TO A RECORD CONTRACT WITH ATLANTIC RECORDS IN 1958,FOR WHICH SHE HAD HER NEXT BIG HIT, "LITTLE BLUE MAN."  Hugh, was a regular on Paar's show at that time -- perhaps that's why the association.  But, Hugh was never a singer,and I could hear no other voice other than Ms. Johnson and the blue boy.
Also, at that time, Hugh and he was busy getting ready for his new show, CONCENTRATION.

Here's a link to the record "An Evening with Hugh Downs," up for sale on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-HUGH-DOWNS-AND-EVENING-WITH-PROMO-LP-/150451115109?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item230795d465
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:56:12 AM by Bob Zager »

normb

Concentration
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Hugh was an extremely versatile guy and probably still is.  Last the public heard of him, is his writings, lectures, etc. on senior citizen health problems and how to combat them.  He never sits idly by, and never did, you've got to admire him.  During the years I worked with him, he learned to pilot a jumbo commercial airliner, and even tried to break the sound barrier in a military jet plane, sailed ALONE in a small boat, with little or no communication gear, all the way to Tahiti,took chances with all sorts of death-defying adventures, wrote several books, made history on a TV game show, was a trustworthy TV newscaster, and made a record album.  Nothing was too tough for him.  It never made the top-10, it was just something a lot of celebs did.  Not so much for the financial gain, but for the fun of it. We never even plugged it on the air. With all that Hugh could do, the public considered him a brilliant man.  He once told me they were wrong, he isn't anywhere near as smart as they think he is, he merely reads a lot.  That is an honest and very humble responnse.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »
How did CARE become associated with the Christmas episode? How much control did CARE exercise over the show's content? Was Mimi Hines the only female Secret Santa?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

normb

Concentration
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »
How did CARE become associated with the Christmas episode? How much control did CARE exercise over the show's content? Was Mimi Hines the only female Secret Santa?
CARE was one of my personal favorite charities, so I selected it as the benefactor of our annual Christmas show.  Nope, CARE never interfered with anything regarding the production.  In addition to Mimi Hines, comedienne Phylis Diller was the only other female to play Secret Santa.  Among the others were Mimi's comic duo husband, Phil Ford, Danish comic pianist, Victor Borge, Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Joe Garagiola, Bill Cullen, Art Fleming and others. Bit of trivia:  Canadian born singer, actress, comic Mimi Hines took over for Barbara Streisand on Broadway in the musical, "Funny Girl."  She was sensational enough to star in that role for 18 months.  Because she was known as part of the husband and wife comic team, with hubby, Phil Ford, they gave Phil the part of Eddy in the hit show.  He was good enough to remain in the cast.  One last bit of trivia about them.  Of all the celebs to play Secret Santa, these two were the only ones who came prepared with bags of candy and small gifts to give to the 30 native-costumed children from United Nations' countries serviced by CARE,who appeared on the show.

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Here is another promotional photo for the show, this time it's for Concentration's fifth anniversary program, showing Hugh Downs with five, 5-year-old kids!  The press release included with the photo mentions that the broadcast featured Mitch Miller and Merv Griffin playing the game!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-Hugh-Downs-Concentration-LQQK-/350337708123?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5191c1305b

Adam Nedeff

Concentration
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
I was wondering how Hugh Downs ended up with the job of hosting in the first place. Was he somebody that NBC wanted you to use? Was he somebody that you wanted? Did he have to audition?

Also, I've just finished reading your book, and since you mention the "Muppet Pipes" at NBC and not knowing their fate, I thought you'd be delighted to know that not only is the display still intact, it's now a prominent part of the NBC Studio Tour.

"The NBC Pipes"

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Among the others were Mimi's comic duo husband, Phil Ford, Danish comic pianist, Victor Borge, Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Joe Garagiola, Bill Cullen, Art Fleming and others.
Norm, I may be putting you on the spot, but I'd love to pick your brain about memories of working with Bill Cullen.  You may not know, but I've put together a web site about Cullen's career, including a lengthy list of of his guest appearances on game shows.  I have record of him playing Concentration on December 24, 1965 against Betty White.  Might that have been a Secret Santa game?  I also have a note of him appearing on the show in 1971 to plug his Three on a Match series.  What do you remember about working with him?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
I was wondering how Hugh Downs ended up with the job of hosting in the first place. Was he somebody that NBC wanted you to use? Was he somebody that you wanted? Did he have to audition?

Also, I've just finished reading your book, and since you mention the "Muppet Pipes" at NBC and not knowing their fate, I thought you'd be delighted to know that not only is the display still intact, it's now a prominent part of the NBC Studio Tour.

"The NBC Pipes"
Initially, my ex-boss, Jack Barry was to emcee the show -- which he did.  However, the quiz show scandal exploded at that time, and "Twenty One" with Jack was exposed as guilty.  Barry & Enright Productions (my employers) immediately searched for a replacement.  Hugh, who was a regular on the "Home" show, with Arlene Francis, seemed to possess the best credentials.  NBC did not own the show at that time, and had no say in who we picked.  But, they did have to approve our choice. His humor was dry -- no wise guy or slapstick comic, he was bright and gave the impression of a studious person (we wanted that -- as opposed to a stand-up comic.  He did audition and won the part.  Obviously he was a good choice, he proved he was a very special type ( unlike the average game show emcee).  His career on the "Today" show, the "Tonight Show", the "20 20" show and other network biggies showed he was a sincere, extremely honest and well-respected  performer. He never did another game show after Concentration."  He had made his mark, on a non-frivolous game show, and decided to utilize his reputation on more serious TV.
Thank you so much, for that info on the Jim Henson (Muppets) pipe art. Glad it remains a protected piece of art that is still being shown to the public.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Remember the Mink Wheel? Was it retired because it didn't have the same pizzazz as the Cash Wheel?
A Cliff Saber Production

normb

Concentration
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Remember the Mink Wheel? Was it retired because it didn't have the same pizzazz as the Cash Wheel?
I think you got me on that one.  I can't recall that wheel.  If you can, please explain. You may be right, a mink wheel might have been dull --- the cash wheel proved a good gimmick and excited the players and the viewers, so I used it often. As I said, if you recall any details, let me know. Thanks.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
The Mink Wheel: I can remember it being played twice. It was played exactly as the Cash Wheel was played except the prize varied from "Stole" to a full-length coat.

Production note: I used to enjoy how the doors would part and the wheel would pivot in from above. The wheel would be positioned so the contestant didn't have to stand up to spin.
A Cliff Saber Production

normb

Concentration
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
The Mink Wheel: I can remember it being played twice. It was played exactly as the Cash Wheel was played except the prize varied from "Stole" to a full-length coat.

Production note: I used to enjoy how the doors would part and the wheel would pivot in from above. The wheel would be positioned so the contestant didn't have to stand up to spin.
You are really something.  What a memory!!!! I was very proud of that wheel coming into view as it did.  Actually the back of it was attached to a pipe that went back about a foot, then bent upward about 3 feet, and attached to a revolving horizontal bar.  A side lever slowly moved the whole contraption counter-clockwise and clicked into poition (without shaking -- especially when it was spun).  I spent a lot of time at the shop, spinning the wheel hundreds of times to make sure of the proper balance to keep it from landing on the same pie slice area too often.  Careful mesurements were necessary to keep the pipes and gears out of sight,behind the set and when not in use, the wheel was locked in position in a horizontal position above the entering contestants.

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

You are really something.  What a memory!!!! I was very proud of that wheel coming into view as it did.  Actually the back of it was attached to a pipe that went back about a foot, then bent upward about 3 feet, and attached to a revolving horizontal bar.  A side lever slowly moved the whole contraption counter-clockwise and clicked into poition (without shaking -- especially when it was spun).  I spent a lot of time at the shop, spinning the wheel hundreds of times to make sure of the proper balance to keep it from landing on the same pie slice area too often.  Careful mesurements were necessary to keep the pipes and gears out of sight,behind the set and when not in use, the wheel was locked in position in a horizontal position above the entering contestants.

of COURSE he has a great memory Norm!  A LOT of us do, thanks in part to the great training our young minds received while watching CONCENTRATION!!!!!!  I bet you never dreamed back in the 1950s that in 2011, you'd be talking with many game show fans about the show, let alone doing so via computers!

normb

Concentration
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »

of COURSE he has a great memory Norm!  A LOT of us do, thanks in part to the great training our young minds received while watching CONCENTRATION!!!!!!  I bet you never dreamed back in the 1950s that in 2011, you'd be talking with many game show fans about the show, let alone doing so via computers!
Think of a picture of a pair of shoes, with an arrow pointing to the right one add the letter "R" -- That's my response to your note in rebus form.  How many of you get that message (puzze)? If you can or not -- I agree, there's a lot of extremely bright people in your group.

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #224 on: June 06, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

Think of a picture of a pair of shoes, with an arrow pointing to the right one add the letter "R" -- That's my response to your note in rebus form.  How many of you get that message (puzze)? If you can or not -- I agree, there's a lot of extremely bright people in your group.

To quote Geoff Edwards' famous catch phrase...   "Right you are!"  (Right shoe R)...