Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165723 times)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
The Mink Wheel: I can remember it being played twice. It was played exactly as the Cash Wheel was played except the prize varied from "Stole" to a full-length coat.

Production note: I used to enjoy how the doors would part and the wheel would pivot in from above. The wheel would be positioned so the contestant didn't have to stand up to spin.
You are really something.  What a memory!!!! I was very proud of that wheel coming into view as it did.  Actually the back of it was attached to a pipe that went back about a foot, then bent upward about 3 feet, and attached to a revolving horizontal bar.  A side lever slowly moved the whole contraption counter-clockwise and clicked into poition (without shaking -- especially when it was spun).  I spent a lot of time at the shop, spinning the wheel hundreds of times to make sure of the proper balance to keep it from landing on the same pie slice area too often.  Careful mesurements were necessary to keep the pipes and gears out of sight,behind the set and when not in use, the wheel was locked in position in a horizontal position above the entering contestants.

of COURSE he has a great memory Norm!  A LOT of us do, thanks in part to the great training our young minds received while watching CONCENTRATION!!!!!!  I bet you never dreamed back in the 1950s that in 2011, you'd be talking with many game show fans about the show, let alone doing so via computers!
Think of a picture of a pair of shoes, with an arrow pointing to the right one add the letter "R" -- That's my response to your note in rebus form.  How many of you get that message (puzze)? If you can or not -- I agree, there's a lot of extremely bright people in your group.

To quote Geoff Edwards' famous catch phrase...   "Right you are!"  (Right shoe R)...
Good for you -- You R right.  But ---- can you tell me who was famous for, "That's right, you're wrong."????

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »
Kay Kyser, if memory serves.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

Concentration
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
On his "College of Musical Knowledge!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
Your memory serves you well.  It was the ole professor Kay Kyser.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
On his "College of Musical Knowledge!"
Korrect -- except the spelling -- it was the Kollege of Musical Knowledge.  But, I'll accept it -  not like the judges on Jeopardy!

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2011, 02:40:22 AM »
Your memory serves you well.  It was the ole professor Kay Kyser.
There was a fictional movie that starred Kay Kyser made by RKO back in the 40's by the title "That's Right, You're Wrong" which jogged my memory.  The movie pops up on TCM from time to time.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »
First, I'd like to let you know, Norm, that I just bought your book, and have enjoyed all I've read so far!

Now a Question:

In your book, you mention how a black "chowder" board, with white letters to go into the grooves, was used for listing the prize companies at end of show.  I was wondering if a similar "chowder" was used to display the contestant names in the top slots on the prize board.

byrd62

Concentration
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
First, I'd like to let you know, Norm, that I just bought your book, and have enjoyed all I've read so far!

Now a Question:

In your book, you mention how a black "chowder" board, with white letters to go into the grooves, was used for listing the prize companies at end of show.  I was wondering if a similar "chowder" was used to display the contestant names in the top slots on the prize board.

I think "chowder boards" might sometimes be called "menu boards".  Those were good for "instant graphics" in those pre-character generator days.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Concentration
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »
I think "chowder boards" might sometimes be called "menu boards".  Those were good for "instant graphics" in those pre-character generator days.
Was that what Let's Make a Deal used to list its sponsors/prize providers in the early '70s episodes GSN used to run?
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

TheLastResort

Concentration
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
Was that what Let's Make a Deal used to list its sponsors/prize providers in the early '70s episodes GSN used to run?

Yep.  As I recall, they did a pretty bad job of centering the text.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »

Now a Question:

Yes, we had several name plates ready for each show and it was easy to prepare just snap in the plastic letters to the black grooved "chowder board and slide merely slide them into place.  Most game shows used this "greasy spoon" menu board for players' names and for the key insertion of white letters to list prize suppliers at the end of their shows.  Some still do.  shows.  Glad you like the book -- thanks for the kind words.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
Yes -- as I mentioned a while back, we weren't blessed with chyron at that time.  It was around, but not in our budget.  This was easy, fast and cheap.  By FCC regulation, all games had to make disclaimers as to who paid fees, etc. to get their products plugged on air (as prizes). We all used this method.

davemackey

Concentration
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
Think of a picture of a pair of shoes, with an arrow pointing to the right one add the letter "R" -- That's my response to your note in rebus form.  How many of you get that message (puzze)? If you can or not -- I agree, there's a lot of extremely bright people in your group.
That was in one of your books! Right shoe+"R". Although you only showed the right shoe. That was probably the toughest rebus in the show's history... do you remember any other ones that had that "gotcha" factor?

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
do you remember any other ones that had that "gotcha" factor?
I have to say that one of my all-time favorites is one that survives in a Tournament of Champions episodes:  A large diamond, a necktie, a coffie mug and a chicken sitting on her eggs.  There are also some wonderfully crafty ones in Mr. Blumenthal's three Concentration puzzle books, puzzles much, MUCH more challenging and satisfying than anything that turned up in the board games.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
I have to say that one of my all-time favorites is one that survives in a Tournament of Champions episodes:  A large diamond, a necktie, a coffie mug and a chicken sitting on her eggs.
I pronounce it "di-uh-mond" and not "di-mund" so I never would have solved the puzzle.

One of my favorite puzzles revolved around a short-lived James Garner series. The puzzle consisted of one element: a pile of nickles. About half the puzzle was revealed before the winner guessed, "Nichols."
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos