Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165721 times)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »
do you remember any other ones that had that "gotcha" factor?
I have to say that one of my all-time favorites is one that survives in a Tournament of Champions episodes:  A large diamond, a necktie, a coffie mug and a chicken sitting on her eggs.  There are also some wonderfully crafty ones in Mr. Blumenthal's three Concentration puzzle books, puzzles much, MUCH more challenging and satisfying than anything that turned up in the board games.
Thanks for the kind reaction.  In case someone is reading your example, and can't figure it out -- here's the answer: DIAMOND NECKTIE COFFEE MUG HEN. ---- "Time and time again".  Say the first words fast and it eventually will make sense.  After the thousands I created I tried to find new  drawings -- like SEAHORSE and camr up with "You can see yourself coming and going." (seehorse+elf)--there were many more.  Here's one I've never publicly mentioned before.  Certainly not on the air.  Old song title, "Your an old smoothie" -- key drawing (never used ---- URINAL + 'd (you're an old ...)  I wouldn't dare use it, and did not. To keep my job exciting and keep one step ahead of our viewers, I had to keep coming up with new stuff.  By the way, I set the rule -- I never repeated any puzzle.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
Among the others were Mimi's comic duo husband, Phil Ford, Danish comic pianist, Victor Borge, Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Joe Garagiola, Bill Cullen, Art Fleming and others.
Norm, I may be putting you on the spot, but I'd love to pick your brain about memories of working with Bill Cullen.  You may not know, but I've put together a web site about Cullen's career, including a lengthy list of of his guest appearances on game shows.  I have record of him playing Concentration on December 24, 1965 against Betty White.  Might that have been a Secret Santa game?  I also have a note of him appearing on the show in 1971 to plug his Three on a Match series.  What do you remember about working with him?
Indeed he was a Secret Santa on that year's Christmas show.  The only other apearance he made on my show was to plug his new show, "Three on a Match"  He was a delight to work with.  A regular guy, a man's man and a very humble person,  Guess that's why he was never without a job.  Everyone liked him.  Are you including a pilot my son, Howard, (produced, "Where In the World is Carmen San Diego," etc.)did with him as the potential host?  It was called, "How Do You Want Your Eggs?"

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
Indeed he was a Secret Santa on that year's Christmas show.  The only other apearance he made on my show was to plug his new show, "Three on a Match"  He was a delight to work with.  A regular guy, a man's man and a very humble person,  Guess that's why he was never without a job.  Everyone liked him.  Are you including a pilot my son, Howard, (produced, "Where In the World is Carmen San Diego," etc.)did with him as the potential host?  It was called, "How Do You Want Your Eggs?"
Thank you for this.  And yes, around here we're quite familiar with Bill's "Eggs" project.  All four of those old pilot episodes have turned up, a marvelous little treat.

Here's one I've never publicly mentioned before.  Certainly not on the air.  Old song title, "Your an old smoothie" -- key drawing (never used ---- URINAL + 'd (you're an old ...)  I wouldn't dare use it, and did not.
Thank you very much for this.  It made my day!  These days, you'd have no problem using it on TV, but the contestants they get to play the games today would never be smart enough to figure it out!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
I was delighted by another great puzzle of yours available for viewing at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills.
mannequin+st k+rym+'m "Man Against Crime"

We've discussed the Concentration game board a lot but it can't be understated what a marvelous device it was. The "click-click whrrrr CLICK" noise it made was most iconic and satisfying. It was fun to watch the board reveal the entire puzzle after the solution had been given. It is too bad that it because so unrealiable with age.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
I guess one of the things I liked about the show was that mom took a break from her housework to watch it with me. (I was born in 1960, so it was on continuously for my first 12 years) When the Q&A's (which I also loved) came on, she went back to the dishes, laundry etc.  It's a show you had to watch to get the full effect.  Perfect coffee break programming!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
I have to say that one of my all-time favorites is one that survives in a Tournament of Champions episodes:  A large diamond, a necktie, a coffie mug and a chicken sitting on her eggs.
I pronounce it "di-uh-mond" and not "di-mund" so I never would have solved the puzzle.

One of my favorite puzzles revolved around a short-lived James Garner series. The puzzle consisted of one element: a pile of nickles. About half the puzzle was revealed before the winner guessed, "Nichols."
This is a game -- the idea is put the pieces together and solve it.  At first viewers had difficulty decoding the liberties I took with the English language. When they figured it out, I had to keep ahead of them, by making the clues more tricky (or else they'd change channels).  Best example is a bottle of ink, for the suffix, "ing". According to viewer reaction, the wilder I got, the more they enjoyed it.  With all the different dialects and accents throughout the country, it was a challenge for me.  So whether you say TOE+MAY+TOE or TWO+(baby saying, "MA"+DOUGH, it's all in fun.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
This is a game -- the idea is put the pieces together and solve it.  
Making matches, remembering locations, accumulating prizes, that was all part of it, but as you had Mr. Downs so succinctly put it day after day, "The object of the game is to solve the puzzle."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
Being from the Detroit area, it was pretty interesting to read a few things about my hometown in your book, Norm!

I'd known for years that original Concentration announcer, Art James was originally from Dearborn, which is just a few short minutes away from my home.

I didn't know about your appearance on the Lou Gordon Program, but I'm NOT surprised that it wasn't a pleasant one!  Lou Gordon's show originated from WKBD channel 50 in Detroit, and was seen on stations owned by Kaiser Broadcasting throughout the country.  He was tough with some of his guests, and there were occassions where a guest walked out on Gordon, or sometimes were told to leave the studio.  I'm sorry it didn't go well for you, but again, I'm not surprised.

Some videos of interviews Lou Gordon did, can be found on youtube, including former Philadelphia mayor, Frank Rizzo, who walked out!

Less than a year after having open-heart surgery, Lou Gordon died in the spring of 1977.  A special tribute program aired locally, hosted by the late NBC newsman Tom Snyder.

ActualRetailMike

Concentration
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »
Hi Mr. Blumenthal. I used to watch the Bob Clayton version of Concentration a lot as a child.    

When I used to play Concentration with my sister (using playing cards), I would vocally emulate the clicking sound of the rotating trilons when turning a card.  I would also add an occasional "ding-ding-ding-ding-ding..." used in "The Envelope" specials.

Was always impressed with how the prizes would appear on the prize board, especially when they transferred with what seemed like lightning speed in a Take or Forfeit.  The board always reminded me of a bedroom closet door, with louvers.

Enjoyed your puzzles, and believe it or not, I really liked the mid-show plug for the Chevy Nova.  It seemed, to this tyke, there was something downright poetic about Clayton's lead-in shpeil,  "When you call that double Wild Card, whether you win the game or not"

Finally, a story from first-grade Hebrew school.  One day in class, my teacher said to me that I needed to work on my concentration.  I replied that Concentration was a great TV show!  To which the teacher slyly replied that the show did not air on Sundays, and since this was Sunday School...

It's great to have you in the group.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
Hi Mr. Blumenthal. I used to watch the Bob Clayton version of Concentration a lot as a child.    

When I used to play Concentration with my sister (using playing cards), I would vocally emulate the clicking sound of the rotating trilons when turning a card.  I would also add an occasional "ding-ding-ding-ding-ding..." used in "The Envelope" specials.

Was always impressed with how the prizes would appear on the prize board, especially when they transferred with what seemed like lightning speed in a Take or Forfeit.  The board always reminded me of a bedroom closet door, with louvers.

Enjoyed your puzzles, and believe it or not, I really liked the mid-show plug for the Chevy Nova.  It seemed, to this tyke, there was something downright poetic about Clayton's lead-in shpeil,  "When you call that double Wild Card, whether you win the game or not"

Finally, a story from first-grade Hebrew school.  One day in class, my teacher said to me that I needed to work on my concentration.  I replied that Concentration was a great TV show!  To which the teacher slyly replied that the show did not air on Sundays, and since this was Sunday School...

It's great to have you in the group.
You've got a great memory -- indeed those were memorable elements that the home audience seemed to like.  Hebrew school ?  I've come up with several puzzles in that genre, but never used any of them on air. Not fair to the entire home audience. Try this on family or friends, after you figure it out. You know the holiday, TISHABOV?
In my weirdo puzzle form, I think of a line from Shakedspeare,  Can you?  Write back with answer.  If no can do -- I'll give you solution.  Here's one more --- think of a mathematical illustration: a division illustration with an 8 inside the symbol and an S on the outside -- same as a simple one like a 10 on outside and a 100 on the inside -- answer: 10.  Try to get the Yiddish answer by having the S and the 8.  Good luck.  Anyone else who reads this, and knows the lingo, send me the solution phrase. Sorry, my budget is depleted -- no prizes, just a bit of a challenge.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
Being from the Detroit area, it was pretty interesting to read a few things about my hometown in your book, Norm!

I'd known for years that original Concentration announcer, Art James was originally from Dearborn, which is just a few short minutes away from my home.

I didn't know about your appearance on the Lou Gordon Program, but I'm NOT surprised that it wasn't a pleasant one!  Lou Gordon's show originated from WKBD channel 50 in Detroit, and was seen on stations owned by Kaiser Broadcasting throughout the country.  He was tough with some of his guests, and there were occassions where a guest walked out on Gordon, or sometimes were told to leave the studio.  I'm sorry it didn't go well for you, but again, I'm not surprised.

Some videos of interviews Lou Gordon did, can be found on youtube, including former Philadelphia mayor, Frank Rizzo, who walked out!

Less than a year after having open-heart surgery, Lou Gordon died in the spring of 1977.  A special tribute program aired locally, hosted by the late NBC newsman Tom Snyder.
Aside from Lou Gordon -- I really liked Detroit and all the people I met there.

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
Aside from Lou Gordon -- I really liked Detroit and all the people I met there.

Glad to hear that, Norm!

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2011, 01:26:59 AM »
Mr. Norm, and all Concentration fans:  I want to make sure you see the new post in the Video and Audio Clips section.  It's the finale of the 1967 Challenge of Champions.  (The previous day's episode, featuring the puzzle "Time and Time Again", has been available for years.  This is the day after that.)

TimK2003

Concentration
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
Here's a goofy question which just crossed my mind:  

How do feel knowing your game is regularly referred to on "The Late Show with David Letterman" when every so often Dave will say, "No match, the board goes back".  Have you ever demanded royalties??? ;D

normb

Concentration
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Mr. Norm, and all Concentration fans:  I want to make sure you see the new post in the Video and Audio Clips section.  It's the finale of the 1967 Challenge of Champions.  (The previous day's episode, featuring the puzzle "Time and Time Again", has been available for years.  This is the day after that.)
Thanks for the info.  Sincerely grateful that people like you remember guys like me favorably.