Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165701 times)

normb

Concentration
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Here's a goofy question which just crossed my mind:  

How do feel knowing your game is regularly referred to on "The Late Show with David Letterman" when every so often Dave will say, "No match, the board goes back".  Have you ever demanded royalties??? ;D
Not surprised.  This has been happening for years. Nice to know people still quote me and the expression has become a part of our vernacular -- like, "Come on down.." on PRICE, etc..  I always felt that if your name (or show's name) is one of the clues in a newspaper crossword puzzle, you've really MADE it.  Just like my new book, WHEN GAME SHOWS RULED DAYTIME TV, friends keep showing me they see new articles and hear even audio mentions of the words "games ruled daytime..." that's great. It's not really plagerism, if anything, it's a compliment.  Thanks for mentioning it.

wdm1219inpenna

Concentration
« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
I thought of a couple more questions for Norm.  1. Were you involved with the 1985 Concentration pilot hosted by Orson Bean?  2. During your days in New York, did you occupy the same studio or building as Art Fleming's "Jeopardy!" and if so, did you ever have the pleasure of meeting him?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »
I thought of a couple more questions for Norm.  1. Were you involved with the 1985 Concentration pilot hosted by Orson Bean?  2. During your days in New York, did you occupy the same studio or building as Art Fleming's "Jeopardy!" and if so, did you ever have the pleasure of meeting him?
Here are my responses: Question 1 -- Nope. I finished producing the show in 1975.  Never met that Mr. Bean (Orson).  The other one, from England, is one of my favorite comedians. Question 2 -- We used the same technical and stage crew, and the same studio: 6A, then 6B (also in the evenings, the home of the Tonight Show.  We alternated, first week, Concentration taped, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Jeopardy! taped on Thursday and Friday.  The following week, Jeopardy got three  days and we got two days.  You  could say we were sister (or bother) shows.  Question 3 -- Pleasure it was!!!! One of the nicest guys in the business.  We were close friends.  Sorry, Mr. Trebek, but I liked Art Fleming a lot better.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Concentration
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2011, 01:58:16 AM »
I finished producing the show in 1975.
...So you worked on the Jack Narz era as well? A few questions rise from that -- how did things progress to greenlight the syndicated run? Did you have any say in choosing Jack Narz? Did you commute to Hollywood?

I should note that from what I've read (mostly Wikipedia; I know, take with salt), the show apparently began going through some big changes in late 1975 (i.e. the improved mechanical board, Bonus Number, Free Look, the removal of Forfeit One Gift, the Double Play prize board, and shorter/easier puzzles).

(EDIT: Mr. Blumenthal put in the wrong number, hence my confusion.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:30:49 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

normb

Concentration
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
I finished producing the show in 1975.
...So you worked on the Jack Narz era as well? A few questions rise from that -- how did things progress to greenlight the syndicated run? Did you have any say in choosing Jack Narz? Did you commute to Hollywood?

I should note that from what I've read (mostly Wikipedia; I know, take with salt), the show apparently began going through some big changes in late 1975 (i.e. the improved mechanical board, Bonus Number, Free Look, the removal of Forfeit One Gift, the Double Play prize board, and shorter/easier puzzles).
Sorry Dan, but you've got your dates mixed.  As I said, I produced the original Concentration from 1958 until 1973.  Jack Narz was not on my show.  He came later.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Concentration
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2011, 02:04:11 AM »
Well, since the syndicated Concentration was brought up, I would like to ask this...at any point would you have considered adding some sort of bonus game to your series? Or had it been considered?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »
I wanna jump in here with some questions in regards to the Wild Card:

1. Was a bonus for a Double Wild Card there from the start?

2. I know the bonus for a Double Wild Card went from $500 to a car. Was that your idea?

3. If you matched a WC to a prize, then matched the other WC to the other half of that pair, what happened?

Thanks

normb

Concentration
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
Well, since the syndicated Concentration was brought up, I would like to ask this...at any point would you have considered adding some sort of bonus game to your series? Or had it been considered?
Of course we considered all sorts of elements to enhance the tension, but realized immediately that more game was by far the most popular choice during audience testing preferences. If you read my book, I go into great detail as to why bonus or "end" games are vital to many shows.  On Concentration, the  prizes were important, but secondary to making matches, solving the puzzles, and just playing the game.  Several other shows had vitually no game, and had to rely solely upon prize values.  I'm not saying they were better or worse than mine.  We both had viewer appeal. Viewer remembrance of Concentration, as evidenced by this Game Show Forum, centers around the puzzles.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
I wanna jump in here with some questions in regards to the Wild Card:

1. Was a bonus for a Double Wild Card there from the start?

2. I know the bonus for a Double Wild Card went from $500 to a car. Was that your idea?

3. If you matched a WC to a prize, then matched the other WC to the other half of that pair, what happened?

Thanks
Yes, the double wild was a feature from the first telecast.  Yes, I felt a more exciting payoff was necessary, so upped the value. It did create an unexpected result -- fortunately our budget was able to maintain the expense.  If a match of two wild cards were made in one turn, the contestant selected one box number for each.  If first was a new car, and the second was the same, the player got three cars. One for the original match and one for each of the next two calls.  In 15 years, this never happened, but the double-wild match did (one car) -- a few hundred times.

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
So you're saying if someone matched both WC's to the same pair of prizes, they would win two of that prize. Interesting.

I read about an April Fools episode in which you hosted, Hugh Downs & Bob Clayton played, and there was one "puzzle" that was nothing but Forfeits & blank spaces. I wanna get your thoughts.

joker316

Concentration
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
So you're saying if someone matched both WC's to the same pair of prizes, they would win two of that prize. Interesting.

And, IIRC, the prize board had a check mark come up next to the prize card (it filled in the little square on the side)
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Bryce L.

Concentration
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
What happened if someone won the game with nothing but joke prizes in the rack?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2011, 03:50:31 PM »

I read about an April Fools episode in which you hosted, Hugh Downs & Bob Clayton played, and there was one "puzzle" that was nothing but Forfeits & blank spaces. I wanna get your thoughts.
Sorry, that April Fool's gag never happened.  If you bought my book, on pages 212 and 213, you'll see my emceeing the 10th anniversary show.  That was the only time I did it.  Notice the prize board behind Hugh and Bob, prizes are listed and the pic of the game board shows part of the puzzle revealed.  That could never happen with only forfeits. As far as practical jokes on April 1st -- Hugh was a master at that art.  The worse he pulled on me was during our "live" period.  He told the millions at home that they were all invited to my house for a party and gave my home phone number.  It was "live" so I couldn't stop him.  I immediately changed my phone number. I got even with him on many occasions.  Best I thought was substituting gin in his water glass.  During a show, as he usually did, he took a swig, and almost lost his voice.

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

Same if they won nothing: $100.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Concentration
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »

Same if they won nothing: $100.
Also, I think the joke prizes had a face value of $1.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com