Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165676 times)

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
Mr. B.,  I wanted to call your attention to the following post, elsewhere in the forum.  You'll find your very last show, almost in its entirety.  (The solution to the first puzzle is missing, and I sure can't figger it out.)

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22126
Wonder if any other member of the Game Show Forum can guess it -- with the few clues showing.  Dunno if this will work -- but I'll give you all a little more time to solve it.  After that I will send the answer.

Is it "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT"?

While here, I thought I'd ask you Norm, did the Challenge of Champions participants get to keep the blazers they wore?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
Mr. B.,  I wanted to call your attention to the following post, elsewhere in the forum.  You'll find your very last show, almost in its entirety.  (The solution to the first puzzle is missing, and I sure can't figger it out.)

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22126
Wonder if any other member of the Game Show Forum can guess it -- with the few clues showing.  Dunno if this will work -- but I'll give you all a little more time to solve it.  After that I will send the answer.

Is it "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT"?

While here, I thought I'd ask you Norm, did the Challenge of Champions participants get to keep the blazers they wore?

Good solve!!! You are correct.  Without seeing the face of the watch, it was difficult (but you got it).  For anyone else who sees this and is still confused, it was:   U  R  WATCH + SHOE + WHEAT (You are what you eat).

Yes, the players got to keep their blazers -- just like the golf champions and other big-time national competitions do.  Unless, they donated them to the Smithsonian ---- only kidding, but -- who knows?

GSFan

Concentration
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
I fondly remember the original Concentration.  My reminiscence here is in the form of a letter of thanks.  Mr. Blumenthal is, among others, indirectly responsible for an event that led me to my first television audition, ever.

My love of game shows is lifelong.  in my childhood, I always thought that being a panelist on What's My Line was the best job anyone could have.  In the spring of 1972, I wrote a letter to Don Durgin, then the President of NBC.  I told of my affection for Concentration, Jeopardy and other games on the NBC schedule.  I mentioned how adept I had become at these games after years of watching.  I asked why didn't they make provisions for kids to compete.  I mentioned I would have welcomed the opportunity to be on any one of those shows.  I mailed the letter "return receipt requested"", a big deal for a thirteen year old and left it at that.  I don't recall an expectation of anyone actually reading it.  Well, someone did.

Fast forward to July when I am at sleep-away camp in Pennsylvania.  An announcement came over the loud speaker for me to report to the camp director's office immediately.  There was a flurry of activity surrounding this.  One of my counselors had already begun to pack my things.  Apparently, i was going home.  I had no idea why.  I got to the director's office to find my mother on the phone, in a frantic state.  "You have an audition at NBC on Friday.  Someone read your letter and they want to talk to you about this new kid's show.  Your father is on his way to pick you up."

NBC was casting for a new Saturday morning show entitled, Talking With A Giant.  I'll never forget the day of my audition.  I had been in the halls of 30 Rock on many occasions as a member of the audience.  But to be in that building, in those studios as someone who might be working there.  It was a dream come true.  I did one run-through of the show in a studio.  I did not get the job, but I had one of the most moving experiences of my life.

A few years later, I found a mentor in the personage of Don Lipp, the producer of The Big Showdown and The Money Maze.  He taught me so much about the game show business and I am forever grateful to him.

Eventually, I did get to work at NBC for nine years during the 1980's.  I have many memories of my time at 30 Rock.  The results of that letter in 1972 formed my first memories of the place.

So, dear Norm, thank you.  If you had not done your job, I might not have had the opportunity to do mine.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
What a cool recollection, GSFan!  Thanks for sharing.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
I fondly remember the original Concentration.  My reminiscence here is in the form of a letter of thanks.  Mr. Blumenthal is, among others, indirectly responsible for an event that led me to my first television audition, ever.

My love of game shows is lifelong.  in my childhood, I always thought that being a panelist on What's My Line was the best job anyone could have.  In the spring of 1972, I wrote a letter to Don Durgin, then the President of NBC.  I told of my affection for Concentration, Jeopardy and other games on the NBC schedule.  I mentioned how adept I had become at these games after years of watching.  I asked why didn't they make provisions for kids to compete.  I mentioned I would have welcomed the opportunity to be on any one of those shows.  I mailed the letter "return receipt requested"", a big deal for a thirteen year old and left it at that.  I don't recall an expectation of anyone actually reading it.  Well, someone did.

Fast forward to July when I am at sleep-away camp in Pennsylvania.  An announcement came over the loud speaker for me to report to the camp director's office immediately.  There was a flurry of activity surrounding this.  One of my counselors had already begun to pack my things.  Apparently, i was going home.  I had no idea why.  I got to the director's office to find my mother on the phone, in a frantic state.  "You have an audition at NBC on Friday.  Someone read your letter and they want to talk to you about this new kid's show.  Your father is on his way to pick you up."

NBC was casting for a new Saturday morning show entitled, Talking With A Giant.  I'll never forget the day of my audition.  I had been in the halls of 30 Rock on many occasions as a member of the audience.  But to be in that building, in those studios as someone who might be working there.  It was a dream come true.  I did one run-through of the show in a studio.  I did not get the job, but I had one of the most moving experiences of my life.

A few years later, I found a mentor in the personage of Don Lipp, the producer of The Big Showdown and The Money Maze.  He taught me so much about the game show business and I am forever grateful to him.

Eventually, I did get to work at NBC for nine years during the 1980's.  I have many memories of my time at 30 Rock.  The results of that letter in 1972 formed my first memories of the place.

So, dear Norm, thank you.  If you had not done your job, I might not have had the opportunity to do mine.

According to Emily Post's book on etiquette, one should not respond to a thank you with another thank you.  But I know of no other way to express my emotions for your wonderful note.  While producing CONCENTRATION, I often wondered what I was contributing to mankind.  As the years went by, letters like yours made it all a lot more than worthwhile.  Most of us never take the time to search out and pen the proper words to express our gratitude to those who played a role, no matter how small, in our lives.  To you and the many others that did, I feel thewords, "You're welcome," although very true, is not enough. "THANK YOU!" is far more meaningful and sincere.

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #305 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
Sorry for repeating a question sir, but I was wondering what happened if someone called a Double Wild Card twice in the same show?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Sorry for repeating a question sir, but I was wondering what happened if someone called a Double Wild Card twice in the same show?

We always knew that was a possibility that existed on every show.  But, in over 7,000 games, several players hit the double wild and won the cars, but no player ever accomplished that in two successive games.  In the most extreme IMprobability, that would have netted the player a total of six new cars.  First, for matching the two wild cards, second for matching the first wild with the first "car" card, and matching the second "car" card -- that's a total of 3 cars in one game.  If that exact sequence happened in the following game, the player would have won 3 more, or a total of 6 new cars.   That wasn't the only budget-buster that existed in our rules.  There were several others (very expensive prizes), always containing that pair of wild cards.  Fortunately, they were never hit, and the show never went bankrupt.  By the way, because of the no game limit per contestant, it was possible for a player who won many games to hit the 6 car possibility in every game.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Concentration
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
By the way, because of the no game limit per contestant, it was possible for a player who won many games to hit the 6 car possibility in every game.
Correct me if I'm wrong, sir, but I had thought for years that the limit was 20 games (it's been stated many times that Ruth Horowitz retired undefeated, and I've read that Terri Lee Coffin managed to do the same just before the show's cancellation).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

We always knew that was a possibility that existed on every show.  But, in over 7,000 games, several players hit the double wild and won the cars, but no player ever accomplished that in two successive games.  In the most extreme IMprobability, that would have netted the player a total of six new cars.  First, for matching the two wild cards, second for matching the first wild with the first "car" card, and matching the second "car" card -- that's a total of 3 cars in one game.  If that exact sequence happened in the following game, the player would have won 3 more, or a total of 6 new cars.   That wasn't the only budget-buster that existed in our rules.  There were several others (very expensive prizes), always containing that pair of wild cards.  Fortunately, they were never hit, and the show never went bankrupt.  By the way, because of the no game limit per contestant, it was possible for a player who won many games to hit the 6 car possibility in every game.

Fair Enough. And if it was the same person who called the Double Wild Card twice in one show?

normb

Concentration
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »

Fair Enough. And if it was the same person who called the Double Wild Card twice in one show?
Not sure of your question.  This might be what you mean ----- regardless of who called the double wild card, the ultimate winner or loser of that particular KEPT the car that was earned by calling the double wild match. However, if that lucky person lost the game, they received no other prizes, including the remote chance of winning an additional one or two extra cars in that game.  All they got (and were happy about it) was the double wild new car.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Concentration
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
Not sure of your question.
He's asking how many cars would somebody win if they managed to call double Wild twice in an episode. Which it sounds like the answer would be "two."
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
Okay, here's what I mean: According to the "always reliable" Wikipedia, if a person called the double wild for a car, then did it again in the same show, the second time was worth $500. Since Wiki tends to be somewhat false, I figured I'd find out straight from the producer's mouth.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
Okay, here's what I mean: According to the "always reliable" Wikipedia, if a person called the double wild for a car, then did it again in the same show, the second time was worth $500. Since Wiki tends to be somewhat false, I figured I'd find out straight from the producer's mouth.
Yes. Wiki is wong -- oops, wrong.  Whoever fed them that info was confused or only watched our first few years.  In those first few years of Concentration, we DID award $500 for matching two wild cards in the same contestant turn.  As the years went by, we changed it from $500 to a new car.  Even though we knew we were taking a chance on getting hit for two cars, or as I said, as many as 6 in some games already containing a car as one of the regaular prizes. It never did happen. No one ever matched two wild cards in two successive games on one day.

golden-road

Concentration
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
Just rewatched the last episode, and more questions come to mind:

1. One of the prize in the final game was a "Birthday Present". Was that another way of saying $1,400 cash?

2. We hear what I assume were your dulcet tones declaring that the money would be split. Was that a backup plan in case the time ran out?

3. This is apropos of nothing, but to the best of your memory, do you recall anyone hitting the top prize on the cash wheel?

BrandonFG

Concentration
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Just rewatched the last episode, and more questions come to mind:

1. One of the prize in the final game was a "Birthday Present". Was that another way of saying $1,400 cash?
Bob confirms that yes, it was $1,400.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!