Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165602 times)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Concentration
« Reply #375 on: September 21, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Didn't read the book, but I have heard the reason why---wasn't it mentioned on Stu Shostak's show?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #376 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
I think you are right -- we spent most of our years in 8G. Our neighbor in studio 8H was "SALE OF THE CENTURY."  Host, Joe Garagiola and I became great friends during that period.  Everyone liked this guy, he is a fantastically great story teller.  Mostly about baseball and his lifelong friend, Yogi Berra. Way back, when we premiered we were in 3A -- just down the corridor from "THE HOWDY DOODY SHOW," and across the corridor from 3B which was the home of the soap operas.  Interesting bit of trivia -- just outside our studio was a gathering place for unempoyed actors waiting for work on one of the soaps.  On the wall, NBC graciously hung a battery of free phones for these hoprfuls. Later, we moved upstairs to studio 6A and then across the corridor to 6B (Johnny Carson's studio).  We also moved into studio 8H, where Arturo Toscanini led his symphony orchestra and SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE now lives.  Our nighttime stint (for 2 successive summers) was in a huge studio on 67th St. and Columbus Ave. NYC.  NBC later sold it to ABC.
The game board control box contained 30 toggle switches -- each capable of right (box on game board turns clockwise to show a prize)and a left (counter-clockwise, to show a part of the rebus, if a match was made).  If no match, the right was switched back to upright.  Additionally, there was a swich to turn all 30 boxes at the same time, counter-clockwise, to reveal the entire puzzle after it was solved.  Another switch simultaneously spun all 30 boxes back to their original numbers position. Every old fan of Concentration will never forget the clunkety-clunk that accompanied each spin of those 30 boxes.  Or, the naughty squares that decided to spin around on their own. That's why we had to say those memorable words to the two players, "You both saw that, didn't you?"

Thanks for validating my memories of the control box. That's much as I remembered seeing it as a kid so many years ago, mesmerized by its magic. And yes, the clunkety-clunk was loud, but I think it added something. When Goodson went to the electronic board in subsequent productions, I actually missed the sound - but I'm sure nobody missed the stray, exhibitionist naughty square that insisted on revealing itself.

Thanks also for the recollections of Joe and 30 Rock. Over the years you worked in almost every studio. As you mentioned "Sale of the Century," I wonder if you became friendly with the wonderful Al Howard? I worked with Al on "Supermarket Sweep," and just saw him a few months ago at Ronnie Greenberg's 80th birthday. In addition to his career in advertising on Madison Avenue, Al was a Julliard-trained musician who had the unique distinction of both performing and producing at different times in studio 8H.

Perhaps you have a story or two about Gene Rayburn or the other hosts and producers who were active in those years. I appreciate any other recollections of Concentration and NBC. It was a wonderful time and place! Thanks again for sharing your experiences with this devoted fan base.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
I don't recall crossing paths with Al Howard.  With regard to Ronnie Greenberg's party -- I had to turn down his invitation -- it's a long way across the country.  Ronnie asked me to send a beforeand after picture of myself and a rebus puzzle for showing at the party.  I sent the stuff to him, and never heard how and if they were used.  If you were there, perhaps you can give a mini description of the shindig,  
Gene and I worked on DOUGH RE MI together -- it was one of my first shows.  By the way, that's when I met Ronnie, he graduated from NBC page to PA on that show.  I had enjoyed Gene on radio (RAYBURN & FINCH) and was too young to establish anything other than a working relationship.  When I produced AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS, the owner, Rainbow Productions asked me to use my game show experience to act as consultant.  Gene was the host in the pilot and it featured the old panel of Kitty Carlisle, etc.  As rough as it was for me, I had to be honest, too many years had gone by, and newer blood was needed. Wasn't that good a game show anyway, just a tired update (and not a good one) of the old movie ID panel shows.
Randy -----  Never did receive your report on Ronnie Greenberg's 80th birthday party.  Probably you sent it, and I goofed.  For reference, we touched base on Aug. 19 (#323). Did anyone have trouble solving my puzzle at the affair?

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #377 on: October 03, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Norm, a question about the home versions:

Was there some kind of stipulation(s) in the licensing agreement with Milton Bradley that allowed them to continue producing subsequent copies after the show left the airwaves?

Let me emphasize that several more editions were released after the syndicated show was cancelled, ending with the 25th "Silver Anniversary," edition!

normb

Concentration
« Reply #378 on: October 03, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
Norm, a question about the home versions:

Was there some kind of stipulation(s) in the licensing agreement with Milton Bradley that allowed them to continue producing subsequent copies after the show left the airwaves?

Let me emphasize that several more editions were released after the syndicated show was cancelled, ending with the 25th "Silver Anniversary," edition!
As part of the original agreement,the Milton Bradley Co. was to continue to make new editions available (annually) until the show went off the air.  To them it was a gamble.  This was the network program that I produced. No one expected it to last as long as it did. After the first edition, which I did not create, Milton Bradley felt they were bamboozled.  They were mistaken. According to agreement, they had no right to release the game without my approval.  When I saw the junk they called puzzles, I had our legal department insist they cease immediately.  After I agreed to permitting them to getting rid of those 2,500 pieces of garbage, they asked me to redo the home game with material similar to those I used on air. Fortunately, the new stuff sold extremely well.  The first 2,500, if any still exist, are probably collectors' items. From that point on,(I created all the puzzles and did the artwork for each edition released during our almost fifteen year network run. Once we were canceled, Bradley could no longer count on any on-air mentions, so they ceased production.  They started up again, when the syndicated version gave them the invaluable exposure.  I was not involved with those shows.

alfonzos

Concentration
« Reply #379 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
Is it fair to assume that your puzzles begin with the Milton Bradley games designated as "Second Edition"?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DjohnsonCB

Concentration
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
I think, Norm, that I know what you mean about the First Edition puzzles being "junk", as I have one of them; as a kid in 1960, I wasn't aware of a Concentration home game until the Second Edition came out (red box cover, green game board frame...loved that one).  You should read what some here have said about the question book for the original MB High Rollers game, also, in the first Jeopardy! edition, a board answer was "Schroder" and the "correct" question in the book was "Name a character in Peanuts?"

Rick Polizzi, who works on "The Simpsons" these days, wrote a book and short-lived magazine about old board games called Spin Again, and one issue had an article on TV game show home games.  When writing about Concentration, he said that Parker Brothers had the original license on it but couldn't come up with a version they liked so they let MB try it, and they originally had a prototype with the puzzles on large cards and an elaborate gameboard which was rejected as being too costly to produce.  Did you ever get a look at that one or know if it still exists?  Rick also said that the idea for the puzzle roll came from an employee noticing a roll of toilet paper in a novelty shop with drawings on it, and he contracted with the man who created it to do the puzzle rolls.  What do you know about that?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

normb

Concentration
« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »
Is it fair to assume that your puzzles begin with the Milton Bradley games designated as "Second Edition"?
Probably.  Bradley, in their eagerness to get the game out, hired an artist who had never seen the show.  What he or she came up with was no where like a rebus we used. The puzzles they created were ridiculous and the rules of play were outlandish.  With my permission, they lowered the price and unloaded them on liquidation stores.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #382 on: October 04, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
I think, Norm, that I know what you mean about the First Edition puzzles being "junk", as I have one of them; as a kid in 1960, I wasn't aware of a Concentration home game until the Second Edition came out (red box cover, green game board frame...loved that one).  You should read what some here have said about the question book for the original MB High Rollers game, also, in the first Jeopardy! edition, a board answer was "Schroder" and the "correct" question in the book was "Name a character in Peanuts?"

Rick Polizzi, who works on "The Simpsons" these days, wrote a book and short-lived magazine about old board games called Spin Again, and one issue had an article on TV game show home games.  When writing about Concentration, he said that Parker Brothers had the original license on it but couldn't come up with a version they liked so they let MB try it, and they originally had a prototype with the puzzles on large cards and an elaborate gameboard which was rejected as being too costly to produce.  Did you ever get a look at that one or know if it still exists?  Rick also said that the idea for the puzzle roll came from an employee noticing a roll of toilet paper in a novelty shop with drawings on it, and he contracted with the man who created it to do the puzzle rolls.  What do you know about that?
Fascinating.  Makes you wonder how a company as successful as they were, could have remained the king of board games since the mid 1800s. But, in this case they saw the error of their ways and corrected it early enough to succeed.
As art director of Barry & Enright Productions (the original owners of the show -- before the scandal), I was present during design stage and the contract negotiations, so I know the facts.  Milton Bradley wanted Concentration desperately.  They tried to correct an earlier business mistake, while dealing with me and my bosses, B&E.  They initially turned down making a home version of another show I worked on, called "Winky Dink & You"  This mid-1950s kid show's home game made a fortune for Standard Toycraft and Milton Bradley swore they would not make the same mistake twice.  Indeed Parkere Bros, was interested, but Bradley offered a far better offer.  Sorry, it sounds cute, but the toilet paper roll story is nonsense.  Bradley already had a few other games that used that gimmick.  At first I wondered how they would create a "game" board for Concentration.  That plastic case with the removable squares and the hand-turning knob to move the roll of puzzles was ingenuous.  Whoever came up with that method (it wasn't me), proved why they were number one in the home game field.

tvrandywest

Concentration
« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
Randy -----  Never did receive your report on Ronnie Greenberg's 80th birthday party.  Probably you sent it, and I goofed.  For reference, we touched base on Aug. 19 (#323). Did anyone have trouble solving my puzzle at the affair?
Norm, I responded to you privately via the e-mail address you used to register with this discussion board. Please let me know if you have not received it.  Best regards,

Randy
tvrandywest.com
randy@tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

normb

Concentration
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
Randy
As I said, never received the Ronnie G. party report.  I just sent you an e-mail.  Hope you receive it.

Daniel

Concentration
« Reply #385 on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
Norm,

I joined this group just so i could extend my thanks for all your recollections about my favorite game show. I was fortunate enough to see only one episode in color just after you switched, and was amazed at all the bright colors. I was always fascinated by the game board, and wondered if any color photographs of it existed (the version after the switch to color). I have seen the YouTube clip of the final episode from 1973, and unfortunately the method used to transfer the kinescope to videotape leaves something to be desired (assuming the kinescope was high quality to begin with). Thanks again for producing "Concentration!"

Adam Nedeff

Concentration
« Reply #386 on: November 07, 2011, 03:03:51 AM »
Mr. Blumenthal, if you're still looking in on this thread, I found something that I don't think we've covered yet. I'm writing a book of my own about game shows and stumbled upon something in Google's newspaper archives from April 12, 1960. It's a gossip columnist reporting that NBC wanted "Concentration" to do a special week of episodes on location from England. Is this more than just gossip? Do you remember anything about this idea, if it was indeed suggested?

tvrandywest

Concentration
« Reply #387 on: November 07, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
Randy
As I said, never received the Ronnie G. party report.  I just sent you an e-mail.  Hope you receive it.
Responded privately by e-mail.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #388 on: January 23, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Hi Norm!  Happy New Year!

After watching the final episode numerous times, I wondered if you and/or NBC reps tried to get Hugh Downs to appear on the last show, or even sometime during the final week of broadcasts?

I remember seeing Hugh appear on the show's Thirteenth anniversary telecast, assisting Bob Clayton in demonstrating how the board worked!

narzo

Concentration
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
Is Norm doing OK?  We've not heard form him in months, hope all is well.