Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165605 times)

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
Well, most of the questions have been answered.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

Concentration
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Norm, if you're still checking in, I would love to know anything you can remember about one of your other shows: You're On Your Own.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »
Norm is having a little difficulty accessing the board.  I'm working with him on it, and we expect to have him back soon.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #393 on: January 30, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Norm,

I joined this group just so i could extend my thanks for all your recollections about my favorite game show. I was fortunate enough to see only one episode in color just after you switched, and was amazed at all the bright colors. I was always fascinated by the game board, and wondered if any color photographs of it existed (the version after the switch to color). I have seen the YouTube clip of the final episode from 1973, and unfortunately the method used to transfer the kinescope to videotape leaves something to be desired (assuming the kinescope was high quality to begin with). Thanks again for producing "Concentration!"
Thank you for the kind words -- they are indeed appreciated.  Trouble with my PC and lack of knowledge as to how to fix it, kept me from responding sooner.  As far as color pix of game board -- sorry, I don't have any, but I'm certain your fellow Forum buddys might have some.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #394 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »
Welcome back, Norm!  You will probably want to check out the following thread, where people are commenting about a recently discovered episode of Concentration with Art James hosting:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22780
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #395 on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
Norm is having a little difficulty accessing the board.  I'm working with him on it, and we expect to have him back soon.
Thanks for the assist -- hopefully, I can overcome my ineptness. -- By the way, if any of your members are still interested, they can resend their questions, and I'll try to respond.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #396 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
Here's one I've often wondered, but forgot about until now:  Did you ever consider using minus signs in the rebuses?  I always thought it might be a nifty idea to use them in a sort of "Super Puzzler" game, with a bigger-than-usual payoff.  Or, perhaps, only use them in the T of C competitions.
Intially, we tried it with minus signs -- it was boring.  Unlike the way we did it, where a contestant could solve it at any time (even after a couple of clues), the minus signs dragged the game out and ALL of the puzzle had to be seen.  Might as well have eliminated the game and just show the entire puzzle. Thanks for comment.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #397 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
Hi, Mr. Blumenthal! A late arrival here, but no questions that haven't already been answered. Just a note that I was about to turn 2 when Concentration first premiered and first became aware of it around age 4. I was a devotee in those salad days, and it was an early learning tool for me. I still recall it fondly, I watch the few videos I have of the show thinking back to when I'd tune in regularly (when I wasn't at school) and always loved your use of the clues in the puzzles. Personal favorite: "You Have A Right To Your Opinion" (U / half / a / rye + 't / 2 / Europe + onion). Classic.

Many thanks for giving us this classic show.
Your welcome. Hope my butchering of the English language didn't adversely effect your pronunciation.  I'm from Brooklyn, so people aren't too shocked.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
HAT + BEE   TWOS + "E"   "U"   BACK   H + EAR

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »
Glad to have you back, Mr. B.

Norm, what did you think of Art James as emcee of Concentration?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:53:41 PM by chris319 »

The Ol' Guy

Concentration
« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »
And to add to Chris' question, how did E. Roger Muir get involved with the show and how well did he fit in overall? He must have had some appreciation for the format, seeing how he used elements of Concentration in his later game Pay Cards. Welcome back as well.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
And to add to Chris' question, how did E. Roger Muir get involved with the show and how well did he fit in overall? He must have had some appreciation for the format, seeing how he used elements of Concentration in his later game Pay Cards. Welcome back as well.
After the infamous Quiz Scandal -- NBC eliminated my former employer, Barry & Enright Productions and now owned all of its shows: TicTacDough, DoughReMe and Concentration.  We, the production staffs of these shows, all became NBC employees.  One NBC staff producer was assigned to supervise and keep the shows honest.  Roger became my watchdog for a few months and then, when the top brass felt we no longer needed supervision, he left to do other shows.  He never functioned as a creative exec, and even apologized for hanging around our studio and offices. Roger and I remained friends for many years.

The Ol' Guy

Concentration
« Reply #402 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
Thank you, Norm. After your story of working together, I looked and found Roger's own take on the event. Gracious gentleman that he was, I can see how you two would remain friends. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4glOSoYM58&feature=related.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #403 on: February 01, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
In the above clip he starts talking about Concentration at 24:12. Nothing terribly interesting, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:20:43 PM by chris319 »

normb

Concentration
« Reply #404 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
In the above clip he starts talking about Concentration at 24:12. Nothing terribly interesting, though.
True.  But you must remember, his affiliation with Concentration was merely as a watchdog making sure we stayed honest.  He had nothing to do with the production.  I liked him because he knew his place, and never tried to "butt" in.  As I said, we remained friends who respcted each other for years.  His claim to fame -- was Howdy Doody.  This was truly something to be proud of -- it belongs in a TV Hall of Fame -- if there ever is one.