Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 165581 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Concentration
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »
I will apologize if this has been asked before, Norm, but when you deal with 28 pages' worth of questions it kind of becomes hard to keep track (I guess I should be lucky that I have asked you a couple questions that weren't asked before, lol).

When the show was being put together initally, was there any consideration given to anything else being part of the operations of the game board- as in, instead of having the mechanical trilons that you eventually used could there have been other options to use like pull cards? Or would that not have been feasible?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
No reason to create another topic for this small tidbit, and it's not really even a question for Norm, unless he'd like to use it as a springboard to talk about his special celebrity shows.  In the latest Today Show retrospective book, in the section spotlighting Hugh Downs, there is, somewhat surprisingly, a Concentration picture.  Hugh is at the contestant area with celebrity players Merv Griffin and Mitch Miller.  For those of us who were childhood fans of the show, it's always nice to see another glimpse of it, even in print.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

geno57

Concentration
« Reply #422 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:12 AM »
In the latest Today Show retrospective book, in the section spotlighting Hugh Downs, there is, somewhat surprisingly, a Concentration picture.

Nice pic.  It's the show's second set, so it would be circa 1961 or '62.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #423 on: February 29, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »
I will apologize if this has been asked before, Norm, but when you deal with 28 pages' worth of questions it kind of becomes hard to keep track (I guess I should be lucky that I have asked you a couple questions that weren't asked before, lol).

When the show was being put together initally, was there any consideration given to anything else being part of the operations of the game board- as in, instead of having the mechanical trilons that you eventually used could there have been other options to use like pull cards? Or would that not have been feasible?
Nope,  We automatically felt very satisfied with the three sided decision.  We needed the three sides: 1. the box number, 2. the prize description and 3. a portion of the puzzle. The trilons and their ability to go clockwise and counter-clockwise was perfect for our needs. Also, it made us unique -- what  other show is remembered by the clunkety-clunk of their game board? The pull tabs were already reserved for the contestant prize lists.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #424 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:07 AM »
In the latest Today Show retrospective book, in the section spotlighting Hugh Downs, there is, somewhat surprisingly, a Concentration picture.

Nice pic.  It's the show's second set, so it would be circa 1961 or '62.
As host of that era's TODAY show, he was proud to be the emcee of CONCENTRATION, and mentioned it often.  At first he was concerned that his public image as an ultra serious and extremely intelligent TV personality would be harmed. A few other TV news men had tried it.  Most viewers felt the show was educational -- I didn't -- it was just entertaining -- just good, clean fun. In actuality we were far from slapstick, or silly, so Hugh liked the opportunity to be associated with this type of show and took every advantage to brag about it.  Photo ops were only one way, like the one you saw involving him on the TODAY show and CONCENTRATION.  He did the same thing when he did the TONIGHT show and CONCENTRATION.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #425 on: February 29, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
Not on the subject of Concentration, but it would be interesting to see how the Today Show book treats the subject of Charles Van Doren. Unfortunately there is no video of his Today Show appearances on YouTube.

(MOMENTS LATER)

But there is this 26-second gem on the NBC News archive (not a big deal):

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/5112571329_006.do
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:09:06 AM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #426 on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
Not on the subject of Concentration, but it would be interesting to see how the Today Show book treats the subject of Charles Van Doren. Unfortunately there is no video of his Today Show appearances on YouTube.
I can't speak to the newer book, but I have a copy of the last big hardback history the show did (2003) and they not only mention Van Doren and the scandal, they kinda make a big deal about it.  In keeping with their mission of patting themselves on the back whenever possible, the focus is on the "extraordinary personal moment" when Dave Garroway addressed the camera to talk about Van Doren's absence.  The Garroway speech is quoted at length, maybe in its entirety.  I know I've seen the clip before, probably on one of the history specials.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2012, 03:20:33 AM »
I am reading a book about the NBC Monitor radio program. Garroway was a major player on Monitor, yet I haven't come across any mention of Van Doren doing It. Seems just about everyone at 30 Rock, and some from outside 30 Rock, did Monitor: Bill Cullen, Gene Rayburn, Joe Garagiola, Henry Morgan, Arlene Francis, Monty Hall, Hugh Downs and others too numerous to mention.

Eric Paddon

Concentration
« Reply #428 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
I can't speak to the newer book, but I have a copy of the last big hardback history the show did (2003) and they not only mention Van Doren and the scandal, they kinda make a big deal about it.  In keeping with their mission of patting themselves on the back whenever possible, the focus is on the "extraordinary personal moment" when Dave Garroway addressed the camera to talk about Van Doren's absence.  The Garroway speech is quoted at length, maybe in its entirety.  I know I've seen the clip before, probably on one of the history specials.

The old MSNBC series (from the days before it became a network of certified flakes) "Time And Again" once had a program on the quiz show scandals that had one clip of Van Doren from Today as well as Garroway's speech.   It also showed an interview with Van Doren from 1987 when he appeared on Today in connection with the show's anniversary week and there was only one oblique question about the scandal at the end of the interview (about moving on from the experience) which I'm sure was a precondition to his appearing.

Bob Zager

Concentration
« Reply #429 on: March 05, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »
I just stumbled across this photo up for bids on eBay, showing Bob Clayton standing in front of the game board, with a fully revealed rebus puzzle (pretty easy to solve, IMO).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-TV-Game-Show-Concentration-Host-Bob-Clayton-Wire-Photo-/300672746853?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item46017e0565

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #430 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
That puzzle makes little sense unless #20 is revealed.

JakeT

Concentration
« Reply #431 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »

Yeah, maybe in 2012 but in 1972, solving "THE JIMMY STEWART -----", TV viewers probably wouldn't have had that much difficulty in realizing that "SHOW" was that last word in the solution.

JakeT

dale_grass

Concentration
« Reply #432 on: March 05, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »
I'da went with a guy going 'shh' and a garden hoe.

Denials

Concentration
« Reply #433 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
The problem I see there is that then you have to do something else for the word "art."

Given what Mr. Blumenthal has said here, "art" by itself might be hard because of all the different possible words that could be guessed given the rest of the picture - "painting", "Museum", "gallery", "exhibition", etc.  If I read Mr. Blumenthal's comments correctly, he was trying to go for clues that were generally unambiguous.

Of course, all of this comes with the disclaimer that Concentration was off the air well before I was born, so my observations could be way off.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #434 on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
The problem I see there is that then you have to do something else for the word "art."

Given what Mr. Blumenthal has said here, "art" by itself might be hard because of all the different possible words that could be guessed given the rest of the picture - "painting", "Museum", "gallery", "exhibition", etc.  If I read Mr. Blumenthal's comments correctly, he was trying to go for clues that were generally unambiguous.

Of course, all of this comes with the disclaimer that Concentration was off the air well before I was born, so my observations could be way off.
Nope -- you are right on target. As I've said, it would be misleading to show two groups of men in a tug of war and use it to convey the word, "pull."  That drawing (or clue) could be a number of different things.  I have always replied to this question, the clues must be the item itself, NOT the "act of."  If I drew an eye -- that's all it was -- not "seeing," "cornea," or anything else. As is the case with the "Jimmy Stewart Show"  I did things like that very often -- making complicated and, if you will, pretty pictures.  What makes a puzzle easy or difficult?  Depends upon when the key clue is revealed.  Like all of my puzzles, if a player turned up "Art Show" early, they could take a wild guess.  If it remained hidden, the game took longer to play (which I liked).  Whoever, in your group who  suggested the use of someone saying, "Shh" plus a hoe (for the word, show) -- be realistic -- that's not really that creative or even humorous.  When I had no alternative, I had to draw simple things like that. The more unusual clues I could use, gave the puzzles lots more variety and made life a lot more challenging for me and the mail from our viewers showed they liked it as well.