Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Poll (specifically the announcer)  (Read 3123 times)

JayDLewis

Game Show Poll (specifically the announcer)
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
You know him, you love him, you can't get enough of him...our own Randy West is in the running for Best Game Show Announcer.

Vote early and vote often... http://bit.ly/fXJfMR

FWIW, it's an About.com poll(s) and nothing from some sort of official body. (I mention this because when the "Who should be the next WoF announcer?" poll came from the same people, there was confusion if your vote actually mattered or was it for funsies.)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
"Nominations for this category included both past and present game show announcers"

Joe Cipriano is on the list.  Johnny Olson, Don Pardo, Gene Wood and Kenny Williams are not.  Do not speak to me of "past and present game show announcers".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:53:11 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'256968\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 02:43 PM\'](I mention this because when the "Who should be the next WoF announcer?" poll came from the same people, there was confusion if your vote actually mattered or was it for funsies.)[/quote]
There was? Show me these people.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'256969\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 05:53 PM\']Do not speak to me of "past and present game show announcers".[/quote]Hey, why not? Cipriano is in line to guest on Wheel soon. These nominations were decided by open-ended viewer voting. If enough people had suggested Charlie Tuna, he would probably be on the list. And if Charlie O'Donnell is a "present" game show announcer, I'd like to think the Enquirer might've picked up on that by now.[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256970\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 05:56 PM\']There was? Show me these people.[/quote]http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20940
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:07:48 PM by chad1m »

pacdude

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
Looks like the only person confused about the WoF poll was Rich Fields himself. Sounds about right.

Anyhow, I have to concur with Matt. If Joe Cipriano, Rich Fields, Johnny Gilbert, Charlie O'Donnell and Randy West represent the best game show announcers, "past and present," I'm disappointed.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'256973\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 03:02 PM\']Hey, why not? Cipriano is in line to guest on Wheel soon.[/quote]
You seem to be missing (or ignoring) Matt's point, which is if they're going to claim that "past and present" announcer are eligible, and those people Matt have mentioned aren't there, then the poll is pretty much worthless.

Yes, the nominees are suggested by the users. Great. Speaking only for myself, I have to say, that if said users selected Joe Cipriano as a nominee over Johnny Farking Olsen, then that userbase is simply not a braintrust whose ultimate opinion I am the slightest bit interested in. That's like the readers being asked to vote on their favorite ice cream and then giving them the choice of Spumoni, Bubble Gum, and Garlic, with Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry nowhere to be seen. Yeah, you'll get some kind of result, but does that result tell you anything? (Other than knowing that those people are not ones you want to associate with.)
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20940
I fail to see where anyone in that thread indicated that the poll carried any weight whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:23:10 PM by clemon79 »

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256986\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 07:21 PM\']I fail to see where anyone in that thread indicated that the poll carried any weight whatsoever.[/quote]That's not the point I was working on.

[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'256968\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 02:43 PM\']there was confusion if your vote actually mattered or was it for funsies.[/quote]↓
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' date=\'Nov 29 2010\']How much credence do these about.com polls hold typically? Do TPTB at WoF take any stock in them, or even know they exist?...I'm just asking if the poll is in any way official, or if it's just a fun poll made by some Joe on the internet.[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:55:48 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'256996\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 04:55 PM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'256968\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 02:43 PM\']there was confusion if your vote actually mattered or was it for funsies.[/quote]↓
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' date=\'Nov 29 2010\']How much credence do these about.com polls hold typically? Do TPTB at WoF take any stock in them, or even know they exist?...I'm just asking if the poll is in any way official, or if it's just a fun poll made by some Joe on the internet.[/quote][/quote]
Fair enough. To suggest that Kevin is displaying any sort of "confusion" is somewhat of a stretch, though, I think.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
I was being more rhetorical in that post, speaking to the fact that Chris C found the flaw in the poll "grossly unfair". I could have said "Pfffft this poll is a joke" just as easily.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:17:31 PM by Kevin Prather »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:49:59 PM »
Chris C found the flaw in the poll "grossly unfair"
Huh? Wha? Wha'd I say?

Wake me when the bots run up Rich's total to 125,000.

Point taken: if you're going to omit Johnny F. Olson from a poll like that ...

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256986\' date=\'Feb 11 2011, 07:21 PM\']Yes, the nominees are suggested by the users. Great. Speaking only for myself, I have to say, that if said users selected Joe Cipriano as a nominee over Johnny Farking Olsen, then that userbase is simply not a braintrust whose ultimate opinion I am the slightest bit interested in.[/quote]
For the niche music blog I help write for, users suggest nominees, but the participants are ultimately decided by blog staff.  Granted, there's still going to be outliers on both staff-side and reader-side, and it's easier to track metrics of success in music than in game show announcing, but I'd say it's worked for us.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'257034\' date=\'Feb 12 2011, 08:54 AM\']For the niche music blog I help write for, users suggest nominees, but the participants are ultimately decided by blog staff.  Granted, there's still going to be outliers on both staff-side and reader-side, and it's easier to track metrics of success in music than in game show announcing, but I'd say it's worked for us.[/quote]
Okay, so you *hide* that the users are a braintrust whose ultimate opinion I have no interest in. :)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 02:24:08 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'257067\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 12:08 AM\']Okay, so you *hide* that the users are a braintrust whose ultimate opinion I have no interest in. :)[/quote]
I wouldn't say "hide", since I spell it out that user suggestions are merely that (though they do choose the winners, natch).  I just omit the reasoning behind it. ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:24:38 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.