Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Divorce has WOF winners' $$$ held up  (Read 1351 times)

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Divorce has WOF winners' $$$ held up
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
It seems cut-and-dry, but the reconciliation part could wind up costing this past winner 1/2 of his prize...

Link to article at The Columbian
--Matt

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
I'm not sure exactly how "cut and dry" it really is.  In MY opinion, he won the money while they were not only still legally married, but cohabitating and trying to make things work out.  Moreover, he freely admits that "she signed me up".  Sounds pretty "community property" to me.  Split the money and get on with your lives, or let the legal fees eat it all up and have neither one of you see a penny.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
Maybe in Michigan (I don't recall how divorces work there...haven't lived there in 16 years)

In Washington, "community property" ends when either side files the papers with the court clerk. It is assumed the parties are not living together and dependent on each other's property/support at that point. If the story is accurate, it would appear that neither party petitioned the court for a stay or even a withdrawal of the divorce.  If that is true--she would stand to get nothing.  However, if they filed a stay or withdrawal, then "community property" kicks in again.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
--Matt