Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The cash obstacle on Fox Family Double Dare  (Read 4105 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

The cash obstacle on Fox Family Double Dare
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »
Okay, I was watching an earlier episode of the Fox version of Family Double Dare, the earlier ones had the red team on Marc's right, and the blue team on his left, as opposed to vice-versa, and I noticed that in it, the cash obstacle, which typically began at $2,000, was at $3,500. The family claimed it, but didn't win the obstacle course. But then I watched a later episode, from when the sides switched, and in it, it was now $5,000. So exactly how did it work? I thought the jackpot had to not be claimed in order for it to go up by $500.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
I'm going with "the episodes were out of order," "the jackpot increased each episode until someone completed that seventh obstacle."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:53:22 PM by TLEberle »
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Bertie Bott

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'256912\' date=\'Feb 10 2011, 11:50 PM\']Okay, I was watching an earlier episode of the Fox version of Family Double Dare, the earlier ones had the red team on Marc's right, and the blue team on his left, as opposed to vice-versa, and I noticed that in it, the cash obstacle, which typically began at $2,000, was at $3,500. The family claimed it, but didn't win the obstacle course. But then I watched a later episode, from when the sides switched, and in it, it was now $5,000. So exactly how did it work? I thought the jackpot had to not be claimed in order for it to go up by $500.[/quote]

Can I ask which episodes you were watching? What were the families?

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
The early episode in question was McKennas Vs. Millhouses. The later episode in question was Winwards Vs. Reillys. They're both on YouTube.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
Was it ever said on the air that it was a jackpot of some kind? It's entirely possible that was fan conjecture that made it to a website back in the day, and the information was never disputed. No such system is acknowledged on any YouTube episode.

That loss you refer to is the first I've seen personally (in four episodes). With adults on the Philly-sized set, it wouldn't surprise me if wins far outpaced losses. The cash amounts you can see on YouTube are $2,500, $3,000, $3,500 and $5,000, all claimed. If I had to guess, I'd say an amount was just assigned to that obstacle.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'257085\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 02:19 PM\']Was it ever said on the air that it was a jackpot of some kind? It's entirely possible that was fan conjecture that made it to a website back in the day, and the information was never disputed. No such system is acknowledged on any YouTube episode.

That loss you refer to is the first I've seen personally (in four episodes). With adults on the Philly-sized set, it wouldn't surprise me if wins far outpaced losses. The cash amounts you can see on YouTube are $2,500, $3,000, $3,500 and $5,000, all claimed. If I had to guess, I'd say an amount was just assigned to that obstacle.

-Jason[/quote]

Well I guess that explains it. Thanks anyway.

I also wanna mention that I really enjoyed the Fox version of FDD so much. I've seen 5 of the 13 episodes that were made for it. A much better production than its Nickelodeon counterpart.

And it's also amazing how this was the first version of the show to feature newly-remixed music cues, all of which had a jazzier feel to them. I remember watching the 2nd half of the 1988 syndication episodes years ago (at the time, I hadn't seen Fox FDD yet), and was wondering what made them decide to suddenly give the music cues a makeover.

Also, awhile back, I remember asking which episodes of the show were produced first: Fox FDD or the 1988II syndicated episodes (I'll be referring to the second half as 1988II from this point on). I finally found out, when I saw that a few of the 1988II episodes had questions related to events that happened after April 1988 (such as "which actor starred in the movie Bright Lights, Big City"), which was when Fox FDD, started airing, so it wouldn't really make any sense at all if they started filming Fox FDD, after both sets of syndication episodes were produced.

Just an observation I noticed. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:45:58 PM by gameshowlover87 »

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'257085\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 02:19 PM\']Was it ever said on the air that it was a jackpot of some kind? It's entirely possible that was fan conjecture that made it to a website back in the day, and the information was never disputed. No such system is acknowledged on any YouTube episode.

-Jason[/quote]
I don't think there was any jackpot involved with Obstacle #7.  I believe the dollar values were randomly selected from $2,500 - $5,000, in $500 increments.  My favorite obstacle course run was when the Brotschel family got to the final balloon-popping obstacle (Inside Out), and got the flag with no time left.  Marc actually asked the judge if the flag in the lady's hand was the orange flag.  The judge shouted out "YES!"  They also got $4,500 in cash for finding the flag in the 'Blue Plate Special' mashed potatoes (Obstacle #7).

Bobby B.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there were only three obstacle course wins on the FOX version of Family Double Dare.  That, of course, could very well be a misconception (like the idea of the cash obstacle being a jackpot).

Bertie Bott

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
I'd be interested to see the source if you could ever find it again Bobby.  I have 10 of the 13 episodes of the series and am desperately trying to track down those last 3. I don't even have the family names but any source I can find about the show, I'm hoping can help me track them down.

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
<!--quoteo(post=257177:date=Feb 14 2011, 06:27 PM:name=Bobby B.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobby B. @ Feb 14 2011, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there were only three obstacle course wins on the FOX version of Family Double Dare.  That, of course, could very well be a misconception (like the idea of the cash obstacle being a jackpot).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I remember several winning moments from those 13 episodes:

The pilot episode had a Chevy Blazer win (Hamster Wheel).
The special celebrity episode featuring Lou Ferrigno and 'Weird Al' Yankovic had a Chevy Beretta win (Spaghetti & Meatball Blue Plate Special).
The Fischler family, who completed the fastest obstacle course ever--43 seconds (and the memorable messiest Physical Challenge ever, when the Fondaks had to ice a 12-story cake).
The Brotschel family (aforementioned, at Inside Out) won the car in a 'nail biter'.
The Marini family (with father known as 'Mr. Clean') completed the course in about 48 seconds (ending at the Wringer).

There might have been another obstacle course win (which featured a clock on Marc's podium, other than the Brotschel family).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:27:14 PM by WhirlieBird74 »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
A bit off-topic, but still related to Nickelodeon Double Dare:

Even though they aired on Nickelodeon, the Orlando episodes of Super Sloppy Double Dare look more like they were made for syndication, because they had the same format as the bulk of the 1988 episodes (each episode averaging 21 minutes and 50 seconds, and three commercial breaks). Why is that?

P.S. The new boards look pretty good.

irismason42

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
A bit off-topic, but still related to Nickelodeon Double Dare:

Even though they aired on Nickelodeon, the Orlando episodes of Super Sloppy Double Dare look more like they were made for syndication, because they had the same format as the bulk of the 1988 episodes (each episode averaging 21 minutes and 50 seconds, and three commercial breaks). Why is that?

P.S. The new boards look pretty good.
That was because regarding the Orlando eps. if it's made for syndication, it had to be aired on syndication initially, so while Nickelodeon showed reruns of the Philly run of the variation, the Orlando ones were aired first-run still on various local stations(for example, KCOP-TV, WAWS-TV, etc.) so the Orlando eps. did not make it to air on Nickelodeon until at least New Year's Day 1990, when Nick started showing reruns of the Orlando run.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
Wasn't some form of Double Dare actually in syndication?
This signature is currently under construction.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

If you mean if it was ever in syndication, then yes. It aired in syndication from February 22, 1988-September 8, 1989. To my knowledge, after that, they went back to airing new episodes on Nickelodeon for the final quarter of 1989. Nickelodeon did continue to air the show from February 22, 1988-September 8, 1989, but they were just reruns.

And in Los Angeles, it was seen on KTTV, not KCOP. KTTV also aired the syndicated version of Finders Keepers.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:25:37 PM by gameshowlover87 »

irismason42

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »

If you mean if it was ever in syndication, yes. It aired in syndication from February 22, 1988-September 8, 1989.

And in Los Angeles, it was seen on KTTV, not KCOP. KTTV also aired the syndicated version of Finders Keepers.
Well, it's KTTV then, okay. But just because the EOTVGS said it was aired everywhere on syndication through 9/8/89, the only SSDD episodes that were aired through that date were from the Philly run(the last SSDD episode from the Philly run would've been in May '89), the Orlando run has not yet make it to air at that point, so in order to make sure that the Orlando run of the variation make it to air, KTTV and WAWS, for instance, may've continued running SSDD through December '89 I think.