Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 14629 times)

TimK2003

Classic Concentration
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2003, 09:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 26 2003, 12:32 AM\'] [quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Then again, maybe I fell for a joke and I didn't realize it...
 [/quote]
Well, that's because it wasn't that good.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Actually, they did use try some other TAKE colors  for a short period of time before they stuck with the Red and Green.  Purple/Lavender came to mind as well as Orange were used, IIRC.

J.R.

Classic Concentration
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2003, 11:58:28 AM »
Another subtle change in 1991 was the updating of the graphics, with the yellow doilleys being replaced with squares with brigter shades of Red and Yellow. The animation was more smooth too. The Car win cue was also changed.

Didn't Art James temporalliy take over for Gene Wood for a short while ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

splinkynip

Classic Concentration
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2003, 01:05:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Nov 27 2003, 10:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 26 2003, 12:32 AM\'] [quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Then again, maybe I fell for a joke and I didn't realize it...
 [/quote]
Well, that's because it wasn't that good.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
Actually, they did use try some other TAKE colors  for a short period of time before they stuck with the Red and Green.  Purple/Lavender came to mind as well as Orange were used, IIRC. [/quote]
This was one of my favorites back when it was on.  I must have seen about 95% of the series.

First take (I think green) was added in November 1987.  Second take was added in February 1988.  Originally lavender for a week or two, them made red.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 01:05:31 PM by splinkynip »

PeterMarshallFan

Classic Concentration
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2003, 01:20:50 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 12:58 PM\'] Another subtle change in 1991 was the updating of the graphics, with the yellow doilleys being replaced with squares with brigter shades of Red and Yellow. The animation was more smooth too. The Car win cue was also changed.

Didn't Art James temporalliy take over for Gene Wood for a short while ?

-Joe R. [/quote]
 Yes, Art did a month of shows when Gene was sick.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Classic Concentration
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2003, 02:50:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 07:55 AM\'] Lets not get started with the Bullard Version, albeit a $51,800 jackpot possible ($27450 was the highest ever won on this version...why I know this? I had the gall to actually tape the episode) [/quote]
 I'm sorry to read you wasted 30 minutes of videotape.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JMFabiano

Classic Concentration
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2003, 04:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 11:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 01:23 PM\'] "Password" has been abused both on-air (the *wonderful* 'Stars' format) and pre-air (Plus, Super). [/quote]
PW All-Stars could be called an abuse, but I don't think I can agree with PW+ being an abuse.  Allen Ludden actually seemed to like the challenge of the Password Puzzle aspect of the game.  Now, the specifics of the format changed as it went thorugh a very tortured 3-year run.  That *might* qualify as abuse, but I'll leave that to the eye of the beholder.  

SuperPW was little more than a tweaking of PW+, and it stayed true to its format throughout its run. [/quote]
Was just going to mention Password Plus as another tinkered G-T show.  In its three-year run, let's see if I can get all bases covered...in no particular order...

- 6 --> 4 clues per password
- Wrong puzzle guesses lose option --> Person who guesses password keeps the option no matter what
- Opposites allowed --> No opposites

-And of course, circa 1982 changes...
- Two $100 rounds,  $200 thereafter ---> Three $100's, $200 thereafter.  Along with that, the winning score went from $300 to $500.  And on a related topic...
- Same partners throughout game --> Changing partners after the $100 rounds
- Alphabetics worth $5,000 every time --> Alphabetics goes up by $5,000 every time it isn't won (and as such, the $1,000 penalty for illegal clues became 1/5 of the jackpot)

And then there's the cosmetic changes to the show (I know we only meant rules, but I'm on a roll)

- Hosts of course
- Hanging Alphabetics board --> Board hidden in wall
- By 1982, the letter indicator for Alphabetics went much faster
- Main game puzzle board: Rainbow + non-neon numbers + border --> Rainbow + neon numbers and border, and the numbers "shut off" when you uncovered clues --> Rainbow board + Neon that stays on the whole time --> Blue checkerboard or "disco" design as Allen called it --> Checkerboard with narrower font and slot for sliding clues and answer in.
- Password display on desk went from yellow to white (did its font get skinnier too?  if so it was more subtle than the puzzle board)
- Chyron for stars' intro --> No chyron post-Allen comeback
- Showing the puzzle board revealing passwords/full-board shot --> Only zooming in on the words on the board revealed (think it started with or a bit before the Kennedy run)

Did I cover everything?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 07:53:14 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

ChuckNet

Classic Concentration
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2003, 11:16:38 PM »
Did I cover everything?

Well, it's minute, but the "It's more than Password..." portion of the opening spiel was removed from it near the end of the run, w/Gene simply announcing "It's P+!".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

Classic Concentration
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2003, 01:00:05 AM »
I don't know if this ever happened, but would the champ get any credit if he or she managed to get the 7th pair matched as soon as the clock hit Zero?

Say that there's about 2 seconds left in the WC game. As soon as the clock hits zero, the player manages to match the final car pair. Does he or she win the car?

BrandonFG

Classic Concentration
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2003, 01:03:38 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 01:00 AM\'] I don't know if this ever happened, but would the champ get any credit if he or she managed to get the 7th pair matched as soon as the clock hit Zero?

Say that there's about 2 seconds left in the WC game. As soon as the clock hits zero, the player manages to match the final car pair. Does he or she win the car? [/quote]
 I've seen it happen...yes, they win...the guy I'm thinking of actually challenged the buzzer, and they replayed it after commercial, and ruled it a win.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Classic Concentration
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2003, 10:11:17 PM »
I don't know if this ever happened, but would the champ get any credit if he or she managed to get the 7th pair matched as soon as the clock hit Zero?

Say that there's about 2 seconds left in the WC game. As soon as the clock hits zero, the player manages to match the final car pair. Does he or she win the car? 
---
I've seen it happen...yes, they win...the guy I'm thinking of actually challenged the buzzer, and they replayed it after commercial, and ruled it a win.

Interestingly enough, the video at John Ricci's site of his Amiga version of the game had such a situation. If you matched as the clock hit zero, a .wav of Alex saying "...we're going to check the tape and we'll see if you said the number before the clock went to zero." The other clips in the game suggest this was from when the contestant did NOT succeed in challenging the clock, but it does show CC did it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck