Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another reason to hate Cablevision  (Read 2300 times)

timpale

Another reason to hate Cablevision
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »
So apparently Charles Nelson Reilly really is a jock.  Cablevision has decided to include GSN with its sports package option.  It's no longer available on the basic or family packages.  You have to subscribe to its premium sports package to watch someone climb the Pyramid or Richard Dawson tell us "We love ya".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:49:20 PM by timpale »

Johnissoevil

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »
[quote name=\'timpale\' post=\'257078\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 12:48 PM\']So apparently Charles Nelson Reilly really is a jock.  Cablevision has decided to include GSN with its sports package option.  It's no longer available on the basic or family packages.  You have to subscribe to its premium sports package to watch someone climb the Pyramid or Richard Dawson tell us "We love ya".[/quote]

Didn't Time Warner Cable plan to put GSN on its sports package at one time?  So glad I switched to Dish Network, these cable companies can be expensive AND weird.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
They probably want to make it easier for young guys to find their favorite poker programs.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Speedy G

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'257079\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 12:53 PM\']Didn't Time Warner Cable plan to put GSN on its sports package at one time?  So glad I switched to Dish Network, these cable companies can be expensive AND weird.[/quote]
Was going to say "yes, and it's still there", but it motivated me to check my local Time Warner channel package listing, and to my surprise, it's no longer in the sports package.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Mr. Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »
I believe GSN was on a premium package on DirecTV, which I just got rid of. AT&T U-Verse (which I now have) has it in its U200 (the just above basic) package.

I'm waiting for the day they have an HD feed and we get to see Richard Dawson upscaled to 720p goodness.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

DaneFromKansas

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
I'm a Time Warner Cable subscriber, and here at least GSN is in the basic Digital Cable package.  I say this with the caveat that I've only been a TWC subscriber for about 6 months (new to the area), so I can't speak for where it was before that.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'257090\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 02:17 PM\']I'm waiting for the day they have an HD feed and we get to see Richard Dawson upscaled to 720p goodness.[/quote]

I assume you mean Uverse? Because GSN does have an HD feed right now. New seasons of original shows were shot and air in that format - Baggage, Catch 21, 1 vs. 100, etc. I believe there were complaints of forced stretching on older shows in another thread.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'257088\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 03:18 PM\']Was going to say "yes, and it's still there", but it motivated me to check my local Time Warner channel package listing, and to my surprise, it's no longer in the sports package.[/quote]

I had Time Warner Cable from late 2008 until early December 2010, GSN must have been taken out of the sports package before I subscribed to them, because it was under "Entertainment" the whole time I had them.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'257092\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 04:23 PM\']I assume you mean Uverse? Because GSN does have an HD feed right now. New seasons of original shows were shot and air in that format - Baggage, Catch 21, 1 vs. 100, etc. I believe there were complaints of forced stretching on older shows in another thread.

-Jason[/quote]

Plus I'm not so sure classic shows like Feud or Match Game would look good if they were to be remastered to HD.  That said, I have my TV set to where the non-HD stuff is automatically stretched anyhow, and to me, it doesn't make any standard definition shows look any worse than they do in the 4:3 letterbox format.  In fact, it eliminates those annoying black bars on the side, but that's just me.  To each his own.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'257098\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 03:34 PM\']That said, I have my TV set to where the non-HD stuff is automatically stretched anyhow[/quote]

Right - the complaint was that the network was doing that for you.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Mr. Brown

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'257092\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 03:23 PM\']I assume you mean Uverse? Because GSN does have an HD feed right now. New seasons of original shows were shot and air in that format - Baggage, Catch 21, 1 vs. 100, etc. I believe there were complaints of forced stretching on older shows in another thread.[/quote]

I meant GSN - had no idea they had an HD feed!

As for stretching - I do the same, but only because I have to: old school plasma TV owner here... super susceptible to burn in, especially with those dang black bars.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:13:23 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

trainman

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'257090\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 01:17 PM\']I believe GSN was on a premium package on DirecTV, which I just got rid of.[/quote]

Not premium -- GSN's in their lowest advertised package ("Choice"). That was true even before DirecTV owned a piece of the channel.
trainman is a man of trains