Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Substitute hosts  (Read 6854 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Substitute hosts
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:41:41 AM »
On the subject of Price guest hosts, Don Pardo filled in at least twice -- December 31, 1959 and December 28, 1962.

While we're on the subject, which GS holds the record for most sub hosts?
To Tell The Truth had 13 fill-ins (including Joe Garagiola before he officially became host) and 20 hosts altogether. If I were a betting man, I'd say the record goes to the United Kingdom's Have I Got News For You -- 72 guest presenters since Angus Deayton was fired in 2002.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Substitute hosts
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:40:12 AM »
Am I correct in my recollection that, with the exception of stunts (The April Fools J!/WOF host switch, Peter Marshall and Tom Bergeron switching places, etc.), Millionaire is the only show to have a guest host since Goodson filled in for Trebek on TTTT '90?

When did WWTBaM have a guest host? I stopped following it after Super Millionaire ended.
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Substitute hosts
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »
I would be.
Apparently.

Separate categories with clue values of similar rising increments, phrasing responses in a question-like form and writing a question down at the end would be enough similarities, buuut of course that's just me.
Yes, that's certainly you all over.

The fact that the game is fundamentally changed in a major way (no control over clue value, never mind the cosmetic issues of the board being radically different *and* the minor point of a player being locked out for the next clue on their third wrong answer) where the other three versions are *exactly* the same game passes the "which of these things is not like the other" test pretty clearly, I think.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:13:28 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Substitute hosts
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:18 AM »
By comparison, the number of different people who have hosted Jeopardy at least once is three.
Four, if you count Jeff Probst. Unless we're being sticklers and only counting shows actually titled Jeopardy!
I'm not sure you'd have to be called a 'stickler' to consider Probst's gig a different show.  Same with Jep.  I honestly haven't seen that one recently enough to know what the dramatic difference is.  Everybody's line is going to be one place or another.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Substitute hosts
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
When did WWTBaM have a guest host? I stopped following it after Super Millionaire ended.
Several times in the last few years. Off the top of my head, Tom Bergeron, Al Roker, Cat Deeley, Steve Harvey, Dave Price, and I'm sure I left a couple off.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:57:09 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

DrBear

Substitute hosts
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »
Just to stir the pot - does that make J! 78 a different show, because of the cutting of contestants after each round?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Clay Zambo

Substitute hosts
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
Just to stir the pot - does that make J! 78 a different show, because of the cutting of contestants after each round?

Possibly; and it also had a new bonus round.  But since it had the same host as the prior version...
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

Substitute hosts
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
Sure, and feel free to discount it, too, because...

But since it had the same host as the prior version...
:)

Matt Ottinger

Substitute hosts
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
I remember when we did our Top 50 event a few years ago, we had several discussions about what constituted a 'different' version of a show and what didn't.  Since I was administering it, I got final say, but I'm still not entirely sure some of my choices were right.  On the other hand, I was very comfortable with some choices even though others disagreed.  Much like defining precisely what is or is not a game show, we're all going to have our own internal barometer, and our choices may appear arbitrary to someone else.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheLastResort

Substitute hosts
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
Is the first format of Play the Percentages considered the same show as the last format of Play the Percentages?

Mr. Armadillo

Substitute hosts
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
By comparison, the number of different people who have hosted Jeopardy at least once is three.
Four, if you count Jeff Probst. Unless we're being sticklers and only counting shows actually titled Jeopardy!
I'm not sure you'd have to be called a 'stickler' to consider Probst's gig a different show.  Same with Jep.  I honestly haven't seen that one recently enough to know what the dramatic difference is.  Everybody's line is going to be one place or another.
The ONLY differences between Trebek's show and Probst's were the show's name, host, subject matter, and the lack of returning champions on the latter.  The formats themselves were identical.

I never saw Jep!, but according to Wikipedia, the board had 20 clues instead of 30, clue values were chosen at random, and there's that whole "three strikes and you're out for one question" thing.  The whole 'pick a clue and question an answer' schtick was the same, but it didn't play out the same as Grand-daddy Jeopardy! the way Probst's did.

/I can't remember...did Probst's version use the same set?
//that might be another one
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:04:57 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Substitute hosts
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
Is the first format of Play the Percentages considered the same show as the last format of Play the Percentages?

And for that matter, the second format of Snap Judgment — same show as the first, or a short-lived Password revival?

(Seriously, why did they do that anyway? Desperation?)
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

Substitute hosts
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Same basic set pieces, very different trim.

Ian Wallis

Substitute hosts
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »

I'd say yes, because it's the same show but with a different format.  You could probably ask the same question of a show like Wheel of Fortune.  It's played much differently today than it was in 1975, but it's still the same show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tpirfan28

Substitute hosts
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Same basic set pieces, very different trim.
I could swear I read somewhere it was the traveling set (obviously dressed up for the program).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"