Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Substitute hosts  (Read 6840 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Substitute hosts
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
Is the first format of Play the Percentages considered the same show as the last format of Play the Percentages?

I'd say yes, because it's the same show but with a different format.  You could probably ask the same question of a show like Wheel of Fortune.  It's played much differently today than it was in 1975, but it's still the same show.

True, but the format change in PtP was pretty dramatic. In the second format, you weren't taking guesses at the percentages anymore; they were outright given to you in the form of "X percent of people got this question wrong". So it was kind of a stretch to say that you were playing the percentages — what you were really playing was Twenty One plus four.

Wheel, on the other hand, has always kept the core elements of Hangman with a wheel, despite whatever window dressing it gets.
Bobby Peacock

Matt Ottinger

Substitute hosts
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
True, but the format change in PtP was pretty dramatic. In the second format, you weren't taking guesses at the percentages anymore; they were outright given to you in the form of "X percent of people got this question wrong". So it was kind of a stretch to say that you were playing the percentages — what you were really playing was Twenty One plus four.
On my last trip to UCLA I finally got to watch an episode of The Wizard of Odds for the first time since I saw it growing up.  The one they have is from very late in the run, at which point the show had almost totally abandoned its original format.  Aside from Alex awkwardly inserting the "odds" of a player's name turning up on one wheel spin, the title of the show had nothing to do with the game they played.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Substitute hosts
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
On my last trip to UCLA I finally got to watch an episode of The Wizard of Odds for the first time since I saw it growing up.  The one they have is from very late in the run, at which point the show had almost totally abandoned its original format.  Aside from Alex awkwardly inserting the "odds" of a player's name turning up on one wheel spin, the title of the show had nothing to do with the game they played.

Out of curiosity, what were the show's formats anyway? Best I can find is "questions about statistics".

Also, seems even Trebek has forgotten about the show:

Bobby Peacock