Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A TPIR "what if"  (Read 5207 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
A TPIR "what if"
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
What do you think would've happened on TPIR if any other announcer had been picked among the announcer searches? Here's what I think would've happened if someone other than Rod or Rich had gotten the job:

From the mid-1980s:
*Gene Wood would've retired by the end of the 1990s. Sub-announcer rotations after his departure probably would include Burton, Paul Boland (since he was doing MG'98), maybe Randy... and quite possibly a few lesser lights á la the 2003 auditions, since not too many other announcers were active at the time.

(Side question — besides Burton, Rod and Paul, how many other announcers were active in the late 1990s anyway? Charlie O'Donnell, Johnny Gilbert, John Cramer, Shadoe Stevens, Mark Thompson... am I missing anyone?)

*Bob Hilton might still be announcing the show today, since he's not that old. They might've tried to adapt him to the "announcer/comedian" role they want now, since he has a slight degree of experience hosting a show where fast ad-libbing is mandatory.

*Rich Jeffries would've been replaced by either Gene or Rod after a few weeks, because Rich can't announce his way out of a paper bag.

From the 2003 tryouts:
*Art Sanders probably would've retired not long after Drew took over.

*Burton probably would've been ousted for the "comedian/announcer" idea they've got going now.

*Randy probably would've stayed, since I hear he's a pretty funny guy. :D

*Jim Thornton probably would've ended up at Wheel just the same.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:43:37 PM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

whewfan

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
[*Randy probably would've stayed, since I hear he's a pretty funny guy. :D

I'll second that... met Randy West about 7 years ago when he was still with Supermarket Sweep and he generously gave us a tour of NBC and treated us to several impressions, most notably Johnny Olson.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
(Side question — besides Burton, Rod and Paul, how many other announcers were active in the late 1990s anyway? Charlie O'Donnell, Johnny Gilbert, [J]ohn Cramer, Shadoe Stevens, Mark Thompson... am I missing anyone?)
Rich Fields announced on Flamingo Fortune (1995-99). The Big Spin had Rich Hardaway until 1999, then Jackie Taylor.

Your thoughts?
* Paul Boland wouldn't have lasted too long if he kept going overboard (apparently he once announced "a supply of cold medicine" like one would describe "A NEW CAAAAAAAAR!"), but would have fit right in with the Drew era.

* Don Bishop would have been ousted when the Drewcases began, since the man refused to deviate from the script. Further, I don't see someone like him demeaning himself.

* Roger Rose would probably have left when Drew took over.

* Daniel Rosen would have gotten a lynch mob down on Barker, the show, CBS, and Fremantle while continuing to make sockpuppet accounts on forums to say how awesome he was. Mike Richards would probably love him.

met Randy West about 7 years ago when he was still with Supermarket Sweep and he generously gave us a tour of NBC and treated us to several impressions, most notably Johnny Olson.
I'd love to hear that Johnny impression -- I've heard people say it was eerily good.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jamey Greek

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
You know, back in 2001, There were talks of Pearson and Sony merging, had that happened, John Cramer, Randy, Paul Boland, and Burton would have had turns at the Mike after Rod's death and when he was treated for Colon Cancer, Paul, John, and Burton would have had turns at the mike.  Also After Rod died in 2003, John Cramer would have been among the rotating guest announcers with Randy, Burton, Art, Rich, Jim, etc.

Jamey Greek

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »
and if you think about it Paul Boland also fits into the Announcer/comedian mold.

Twentington

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
Rich Fields announced on Flamingo Fortune (1995-99). The Big Spin had Rich Hardaway until 1999, then Jackie Taylor.

Speaking of Rich, I've seen a few episodes of Flamingo Fortune. The man sounds completely different — his voice was deeper and a bit mellower, without any of the screechy, honk-y, nasal tone he displayed on TPIR. What happened?
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
Your thoughts?
I think this is the biggest amount of drivel and speculation I've read on this forum in a long freakin' time.  Considering the source and those who've participated, I can't say I'm surprised.

Stay tuned for "Family Feud Fan Fiction" after these messages.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:33:43 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
I suspect that if Bob Hilton had been granted the job in the mid-1980s and he'd accepted that he'd have gotten bounced as Rich Fields was for the sake of something NEW! NEW! NEW! which appears to give Mike Richards an almighty chubby.
Your thoughts?
I think this is the biggest amount of drivel and speculation I've read on this forum in a long freakin' time.  Considering the source and those who've participated, I can't say I'm surprised.
Since you don't like the subject, why did you take the time to read the original posting and its replies?
Further, since you appear to hold such contempt for many of the posters within this forum, suppose you leave and never come back.
Now would be a good time for your egress.

dale_grass

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Must be a slow game show news day.  Besides, it's nowhere near as bad as Golden-Road.net's hypotheticals.

[quote name='Same dude']
Stay tuned for "Family Feud Fan Fiction" after these messages.
[/quote]
Admit it.  You miss Kleist and his... whatever it was.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
Since you don't like the subject, why did you take the time to read the original posting and its replies?
The "sub header" doesn't appear on the main forum page.  I clicked on it because I thought it may have been an interesting topic.  How was I supposed to know what the thread would actually contain?
Quote from: dalegrass
Admit it. You miss Kleist and his... whatever it was.
I don't think I've ever denied missing Kleist.  It was a guaranteed cheap laugh, almost daily.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:28:43 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

oaklandfan2kx

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
How about later in the season or so?

What if The Price is Right has it's female announcer?

My Guess: LIZ HERNANDEZ

Here's The Script in which what will happen after this California Lottery game show (Make Me a Millionaire) got cancelled) when it airs today

Drew: Welcome back to the Price is Right, Liz what's next?

Liz: Well our Next Contestant is Dava Betts, Come On Down, Your Next Contestant on The Price is Right!

(Dava comes on down to contestants row)

And what about Randy West (Announcer from the CA Lottery's Big Spin) if he succeeds the late Rod Roddy?

(At The End of Each TPIR Episode - Just like what they do on the Big Spin)

Randy: Today's Contestants on The Price is Right won a grand total of $XX,XXX!, This is Randy West speaking for the Price is Right a Mark Goodson Television Production in association with Fremantle Media!

Jamey Greek

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
I don't know if this is true or not but I read this on wikipedia but I read that after Rod died, Bob Hilton was offered and audition but he turned it down.  Is that true?

dale_grass

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »
And what about Randy West (Announcer from the CA Lottery's Big Spin) if he succeeds the late Rod Roddy?

I'm from the midwest.  Randy who?

Twentington

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
I don't know if this is true or not but I read this on wikipedia but I read that after Rod died, Bob Hilton was offered and audition but he turned it down.  Is that true?

I couldn't find anything that said so, myself.

Even though I'm a big defender of Wikipedia, I've found that "I read this on Wikipedia" is bound to get a few eyerolls.
Bobby Peacock

GrandGame1440

A TPIR "what if"
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:12 AM »
I think this thread just got more interesting.