Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That Tune  (Read 8026 times)

JepMasta

Name That Tune
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:43:42 AM »
Hey guys, this may be a very tough question to answer, I was watching NTT on youtube a few days ago and I had something on my mind that I've always wondered about.  In the intro Jim Lange always said that "All of our contestants have been pretested."  What I've always wondered it, what exactly did the contestant test for Name That Tune consist of.  I would assume you would listen to a selection of tunes and you would have to identify them.  But if anyone would have any concrete information for me, I would be most grateful.

Thank you so very much

Brian~

bricon

Name That Tune
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
I worked on the 1989 pilot, and a second attempt at that format about a year later.  

We gave the applicants (30 or so at a time) a written test of identifying about 20 tunes from a tape playback, and those who passed that test were kept to play a mock version of the game, rotating people in and out to see how they did against various other players.

tvrandywest

Name That Tune
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
I worked on the 1989 pilot, and a second attempt at that format about a year later.  

We gave the applicants (30 or so at a time) a written test of identifying about 20 tunes from a tape playback, and those who passed that test were kept to play a mock version of the game, rotating people in and out to see how they did against various other players.

Similar for the earlier NTT and Face The Music"

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:18:17 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Winkfan

Name That Tune
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »

They did the written test at my first audition, and then they took a picture of me before they decided who would go on. Then I came back about a week later to play a mock game for the producers. A month later, they asked me to come to a taping; and the rest is history.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:56:17 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

Steve_Bier

Name That Tune
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
There was a pilot of NTT shot in 1989? Who hosted it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:06:57 PM by Steve_Bier »

BrandonFG

Name That Tune
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
Peter Allen.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JepMasta

Name That Tune
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
Peter Allen.

The same Peter Allen who was the subject of the musical "The Boy From Oz"?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Name That Tune
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
The same Peter Allen who was the subject of the musical "The Boy From Oz"?
Legs Diamond himself, yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Name That Tune
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
Peter Allen was a cabaret performer of the 1980s who, like most gay men, was briefly married to Liza Minelli.

/For some reason, they won't let me put that on Wikipedia.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

Name That Tune
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:03:57 AM »
I've been lucky enough to see a tape of the 1989 pilot and the big surprise of watching it is that Peter really WANTS to be there, is infectiously happy through the entire half hour, and doesn't at all behave like he's cashing a check or slumming it. I hated knowing that it didn't sell just based on how much fun Peter was having. The neat touch they added to the Bid-a-Note round: Peter had a keyboard built into his podium and played the notes himself for each clue.

golden-road

Name That Tune
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 03:45:17 AM »
I've been lucky enough to see a tape of the 1989 pilot and the big surprise of watching it is that Peter really WANTS to be there, is infectiously happy through the entire half hour, and doesn't at all behave like he's cashing a check or slumming it. I hated knowing that it didn't sell just based on how much fun Peter was having. The neat touch they added to the Bid-a-Note round: Peter had a keyboard built into his podium and played the notes himself for each clue.

I'm curious, what other elements were there?

Jay Temple

Name That Tune
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
The neat touch they added to the Bid-a-Note round: Peter had a keyboard built into his podium and played the notes himself for each clue.
Now, that's cool!

\Besides Musical Chairs, has there been a show where the host would sing the relevant material?
\\I had the idea for a game show, which I dubbed Word for Word, where contestants tried to identify songs from hearing the lyrics spoken at first and sung only if necessary. To my mind, the format required that the host be able to sing.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Adam Nedeff

Name That Tune
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »

I'm curious, what other elements were there?
The game was played with three contestants. For Round One, there were four Tune Topics-style categories on the board, each with four tunes. Contestants would select a category & Tune 1, Tune 2, etc. Each tune was worth a random amount between, I think, $100 and $250. Being wrong locked you out of the next tune played. Each category also had a bonus tune. The contestant who named it could win the same amount of cash again by answering a trivia question about the tune.

Round two had four new categories. This time, each category started with a value of $100. Every time a tune was played, the value would increase by $10 every tenth of a second. When you rang in, a correct answer paid whatever the category was worth at that point, so there was a test of nerves element to it (buzz in immediately for less money, or wait for more money but risk losing out on somebody else ringing in). The value for the category kept growing through all four tunes in the category, so if you rang in at $520 on the first tune, the next time you went to that category, it would start at $520 and grow from there.

Lowest score was eliminated after round two and the survivors played Bid-a-Note, played the same but with one major difference: You couldn't win by default. The third tune had to be earned by naming it yourself. If it came to a situation where one player failed to fill their bid and the other player could win, the opposing player got to hear the maximum seven notes and had a chance to guess after that.

Winner played the Golden Medley, which is simply called "The $25,000 Round" in the pilot. It had to be a last minute change because you can see Peter keeps WANTING to call it Golden Medley and struggles whenever he says the different name.

tvwxman

Name That Tune
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
There were a few photos in Broadcasting/Cable of this - neat set.

I liked Peter Allen, and between this and the pilot for "The Hollywood Game", I think he woulda been a decent host. Did he shoot both pilots or was there a change in host between the two.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Name That Tune
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
The game was played with three contestants. For Round One, there were four Tune Topics-style categories on the board, each with four tunes. Contestants would select a category & Tune 1, Tune 2, etc. Each tune was worth a random amount between, I think, $100 and $250. Being wrong locked you out of the next tune played. Each category also had a bonus tune. The contestant who named it could win the same amount of cash again by answering a trivia question about the tune.
This round was used as the first two rounds of the CD-i Name That Tune game.