Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That Tune  (Read 8022 times)

Matt Ottinger

Name That Tune
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
This round was used as the first two rounds of the CD-i Name That Tune game.
Yeah, when I saw the pilot, I was delighted because it finally explained why the CD-i game wasn't using any recognizable format.  In a way, the CD-i version of Name That Tune belongs with By the Numbers and Top Secret as games that got a national release even though their respective shows didn't.

Best thing about the CD-i game was that it worked on the honor system.  They played a tune, you named the tune, and then you told the machine whether you were right or not.  A so much more efficient way than hoping you spelled it right, or that you didn't leave off "Theme From" or some other thing the AI wouldn't recognize.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bricon

Name That Tune
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
I liked Peter Allen, and between this and the pilot for "The Hollywood Game", I think he woulda been a decent host. Did he shoot both pilots or was there a change in host between the two.

It would have been Peter hosting the 1991 attempt as well.  No new pilot was done in 1991, but there was a sales tape made from clips of the pilot.  This would have been a 13 week version in limited markets, to try and launch the show nationally later in that year.

Jamey Greek

Name That Tune
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
I've been lucky enough to see a tape of the 1989 pilot and the big surprise of watching it is that Peter really WANTS to be there, is infectiously happy through the entire half hour, and doesn't at all behave like he's cashing a check or slumming it. I hated knowing that it didn't sell just based on how much fun Peter was having. The neat touch they added to the Bid-a-Note round: Peter had a keyboard built into his podium and played the notes himself for each clue.

I hope it pops up on youtube someday.  Was it for syndication and did Orion distribute it?  I think one of the reasons it did not sell was because Orion was having financial problems at the time.

mmb5

Name That Tune
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Another neat element of the pilot -- Peter Allen played the Bid-A-Note notes himself.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Clay Zambo

Name That Tune
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
Peter Allen was a cabaret performer of the 1980s who, like most gay men, was briefly married to Liza Minelli.

/For some reason, they won't let me put that on Wikipedia.

Where is the Like button?
czambo@mac.com

Adam Nedeff

Name That Tune
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 02:06:17 AM »
Another neat element of the pilot -- Peter Allen played the Bid-A-Note notes himself.
So I hear. :-)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Name That Tune
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
Did the written tests use NTT-band-style instrumentals, or audio from the [KTel]ORIGINAL ARTISTS!!!1111[/Ktel]

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

bricon

Name That Tune
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
Did the written tests use NTT-band-style instrumentals, or audio from the [KTel]ORIGINAL ARTISTS!!!1111[/Ktel]

Keyboard/synthesiser for the '89 and '91 version contestant test.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:46:12 PM by bricon »