Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Isn't it time for some new G-T shows?  (Read 5456 times)

That Don Guy

Isn't it time for some new G-T shows?
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
I was under the impression that GSN's contracts with (presumably) Fremantle for G-T/Mark Goodson shows were on a year-by-year basis.

Card Sharks restarted on GSN (replacing '60s nightly Password, among other things) in early April, 2010, but according to Zap2It, it's still on the air at least through mid-April 2011.

-- Don

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
The way things have been in the past really isn't as relevant to the GSN schedule as it used to be.  As far as we outsiders are able to tell, GSN now makes individual deals with Fremantle for whatever specific shows they want.  There's no guarantee that GSN wants the older shows any more.  It's safe to say that there will probably always be a place for the reliable old warhorses like Match Game and Family Feud, but I don't think you can say broadly that it's "time for some new G-T shows" anymore.  That just doesn't seem to be the mindset at GSN.  They don't want to be seen as a nostalgia network.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
Recall that at one time Mark Goodson Productions was going to be a partner in the Game Show Network and their library was going to provide the programming fodder. Then the Goodsons pulled out of the contemplated partnership and sold the company. B&W kinescopes of What's My Line? are no longer relevant to GSN's programming. They would prefer to run infomercials overnight instead.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:55:46 AM by chris319 »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
To be honest, the only thing I wanna see on GSN from the past are the remaining 300 or so episodes of Press Your Luck, nothing more.

It's been almost 10 years since GSN first acquired it, and to this day, I still have no clue why, of all episodes GSN started with the 2/21/84 episode, when they could have started with episode 1 from 9/19/83 all along. And GSN's leasing of the show made no sense whatsoever. The first set of episodes had 200, but the second set had 250? What's up with that? I thought a lease was always roughly 200 episodes apiece.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:10:33 PM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
To be honest, the only thing I wanna see on GSN from the past are the remaining 300 or so episodes of Press Your Luck, nothing more.
Then don't watch anymore. If enough people don't watch what GSN puts out, they'll either change, or fold up the tent.
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
Then don't watch anymore. If enough people don't watch what GSN puts out, they'll either change, or fold up the tent.

I know. I haven't watched it since December 2009. I found other things to occupy myself in the meantime.

William_S.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
There's YouTube
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:20:31 PM by William_S. »

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
As for the point made about Card Sharks by the original poster...perhaps GSN is happy with Card Sharks and decided to renew the show for another year rather than go for something else.  I'm glad we did get to see the classic-filled schedules while they lasted.  It's time to move on.  As William noted, YouTube has loads of classic game show episodes to watch, and several users are uploading more episodes of classic shows on a constant basis, something they're not obligated to do.  So be thankful we still have that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:50:02 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
They would prefer to run infomercials overnight instead.
Just like many other cable stations.  GSN is not unique in that regard.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

The Pyramids

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
As for the point made about Card Sharks by the original poster...perhaps GSN is happy with Card Sharks and decided to renew the show for another year rather than go for something else.  I'm glad we did get to see the classic-filled schedules while they lasted.  

Indeed. When the classics looked like they were on their way out in 2004 we ended up getting 5 more years of them. I think thats why there have been few if any posts on this board for GSN to return to its roots in the past couple of years.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
Indeed. When the classics looked like they were on their way out in 2004 we ended up getting 5 more years of them. I think thats why there have been few if any posts on this board for GSN to return to its roots in the past couple of years.

If you really think about it, there's quite a few classics on the schedule now.  When I first got GSN in 1997, they were airing 4 or 5 year old episodes of Combs' Family Feud Challenge, the Dawson 94 episodes were only 3 years old when they aired them, and the Wheel and J! eps they aired from 97 to 98 were only about 6 years old.  The Millionaire and Karn Feud episodes (as much as I hate to admit the latter) are older than that.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
I noticed this morning that the 9 AM Hollywood Squares has been replaced with Match Game '74.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.