Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "Top XX Game Shows of All Time" list  (Read 3733 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Another "Top XX Game Shows of All Time" list
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
Linky.

Numbers three and eleven will probably annoy quite a few.  Otherwise the list is diverse and reasonable, though the nod goes more toward longevity than quality.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
Though, can you really have longevity without quality?

I can see the reasoning behind number 11.  Don't necessarily think it would merit a spot, but it's not my list.
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »
I can see the reasoning behind number 11.  Don't necessarily think it would merit a spot, but it's not my list.
I'm just the opposite.  I can see the reasoning behind #3 (not everybody's a purist) but #11 is absurd.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
Though, can you really have longevity without quality?
How long did "According to Jim" run?
-Joe Raygor

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
I'm just the opposite.  I can see the reasoning behind #3 (not everybody's a purist) but #11 is absurd.
Well, I dig #3.  I'm as uninterested in the semantics as you are, but I think #11 made the list on premise alone.  Of course, I can literally go two feet to my right and find a show with premise and execution, but that's beside the point.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »
I was more offended by his lack of writing ability and fact checking than by the inclusion of some shows or exclusion of others. "Bankrupts hidden on the wheel." Really.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
Since the article serves primarily as an advertisement for their own online game show, I don't think they really care whether their list is reasonable.

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
If you take out #3 and #11 and move the games up to fill those slots in order, it's a fine list, especially since they've picked something other than Price is Right first.

/Even though Feud over Wheel is just a bit weird
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
but I think #11 made the list on premise alone.
Here's a project: Get yourself a college-ruled index card. Now, one per line, compile a list of games not on that list that would be a better fit than #11. (Hint: Start with Password, and then run down the Barry / Enright oeuvre. For starters. And I'm not talking about the only-we-remember-it geeky shiat like Now You See It. You can stay mainstream.)

Now, once you have filled up the card (and don't skimp by stopping after the first side!), look at that card and tell me again if you think #11 is the least bit reasonable. That said...

Since the article serves primarily as an advertisement for their own online game show, I don't think they really care whether their list is reasonable.
...QFT. Not sure why they even bothered making the list eleven items long when they could have stopped after 5 and gotten a head start on the all-you-can-eat Rocky Mountain Oyster special down at I.P. Freely's.

/as an added bonus, this would give them something in common with their article
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:49:33 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
I was more offended by his lack of writing ability and fact checking than by the inclusion of some shows or exclusion of others. "Bankrupts hidden on the wheel." Really.

Mystery round.  Bankrupt is hidden on the wheel.
He may have been right by accident, but he was right.

/ Or maybe he meant The Creature that ate all your points.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »

Mystery round.  Bankrupt is hidden on the wheel.
He may have been right by accident, but he was right.
Sure, but it isn't like the players aren't made aware of it before the fact. You know one of 'em is a Bankrupt. And if that doesn't fly, I'll fall back on his description of the game play of Fifth Grader. And the fact that Fifth Grader made the list, and Password did not.

And Concentration.
Or any of the panel shows.
I could go on.
I won't.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

alfonzos

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Every show on the list was in production during the last decade. This betrays the writer's youth and lack of knowledge of television's 60+ year history.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
I didn't even read the text, and now I wish I hadn't.  Barely literate would be the best way to describe it, plus there's just about one significant error of fact in every listing.

I'm also amused that she's beating the "Based on the game played on Howard Stern’s radio show" drum.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
I didn't even read the text, and now I wish I hadn't.
You incented me to go back and look again.

Damn you to hell, sir. Damn you to HELL.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Every show on the list was in production during the last decade. This betrays the writer's youth and lack of knowledge of television's 60+ year history.
That's exactly what I thought as well. Soon as I finished the list I asked myself how many are actually on the air right now, and I think it's all but three (technically four with 5th Grader's upcoming cancellation).

But 5th Grader is an incredibly poor choice. The concept of grade-school trivia could work if done correctly...unfortunately they took the lazy money/trivia ladder and helps route that just about every other trivia game has used since Millionaire.

Password's a great option, but if they want to use shows of the last 5 years, then how about Cash Cab?

[quote name='Caryn']
What sets Jeopardy apart from other game shows is the fact that contestants have to be very smart to win very little money.
[/quote]
Perhaps she should define very little...if she means the $1,000/2,000 consolation money, I'd argue that at least J! offers some money. Otherwise, her argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Average champ takes home about what, $15-20K a day or so? Even the $1,000 is a thousand more than I had an hour before.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:37:30 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!